No announcement yet.

No Oil Pressure!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, at first I was thinking I really hope I/we are right about this pin, I'd hate to get in there and see all is good. But then he told me that his first test ride, it would not stay in first gear for nothing. I knew it was time for a gear swap/repair and the shaft inspection was just part fo the project. So, I felt alot better about tearing it all back down, again. At this point he should be able to put the pans on in his sleep!

As to the shaft, it was kind of toast, it had been sliding around and been eaten into by the middle driven gear past that cutout.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Hey Dgxser,
      I hope you guys get it sorted out,
      and have better luck with the first gear fix.
      I replaced the buggered gears with the gears from
      my seized engine which still looked new and had no problems,
      didnt fix the first gear problem. Still havent got back into it 2 suss it out.
      Let us know how it works out.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Update

So just to keep everyone up to date, the oil pressure is now fixed. The problem I'm running into now is that it's backfiring from the left side exhaust. We replaced the coils and that didn't fix the issue. Our suspicion is that the valves need to be shimmed, particularly on the #1 cylinder as that seems to be where it's coming from. We suspect this to be the issue because when we were trying to synch the carbs it repeatedly blew off the tubing on the #1 carb, meaning that it's blowing out that hole instead of sucking in. I'm going to pull the carbs off and give them a good soak and clean because well... it couldn't hurt but we suspect it's not going to do much good either. Doesn't matter though, I could use the experience/learning as far as the carbs go and I'm pretty sure there are still some areas that are gummed up. Once I get the carbs cleaned up we'll see what happens. Still heavily leaning towards a leaking valve though.

As much as I want to throw some seafoam in the tank and ride it to see if that helps clear things out, I'm not gonna. I'm going to do it up right and clean the carbs real well. I don't want to do any further damage than what I may have already done.

From what I can tell though, the gears work just fine. I put it in gear and rode it around the block (sorta) so that I could put it back on the trailer to bring it back from Cinci.
        Last edited by Varnae; 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM.
        If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

Do you have a gauge to do a compression check? Probaby a good idea not to ride it until you check that. If the valve isn't closing all the way, it doesn't take long to burn one, or the seat. It could be just the carbs though.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Well, I did not re read this whole thread ...

blew off the tubing on the #1 carb, meaning that it's blowing out that hole
            BUT .... a regular old backfire will blow the manifold vacuum cap off or apart. If it is constantly huffing out of that hole, there is a problem with a valve stuck open, burned or bent ... some way compression is leaking out of the combustion chamber.

If it were me, I would run compression before I invested too much effort in the carbs just yet ... JMHO
            80G Mini-bagger
            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I'm just too slow ...

today, Tod. lol Guess I must be gettin' long in the tooth.
              80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have a compression gauge. I'm sure I could probably get my hands on one, but even if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with it. I do know that if I put my finger over that hole though, it repeatedly blows out instead of sucking in, thus leading me to believe that the valve isn't seating correctly.

I'm sure it would still be a good idea to clean the carbs, as it was a "mechanic" that supposedly cleaned them before and well, with all that I've had to do to the bike after getting it back from him, I'll just say, it would be a good thing for me to give them a second cleaning.
                If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

You bet, it is a good idea to clean ...

your carbs thoroughly. Unfortunately, with a cylinder leaking compression badly, it's unlikely you'll notice too much of a difference. Kinda' like pissin' up a rope.

that if I put my finger over that hole though, it repeatedly blows out instead
                  Get your hands on one, preferably the screw-in kind, warm up the engine, remove all the spark plugs, unplug the smaller plug on the TCI, then screw the guage into the hole in question and hit the starter button. Crank the engine for a few seconds noting the the highest reading on the guage then recording it on a piece of paper, hit the release button on the guage to zero it back out and repeat the process for the other cylinders, keeping track.

Do this, if you can, and then tell us what you recorded and observed.

that if I put my finger over that hole though, it repeatedly blows out instead
                  Hate to say this, but it doesn't sound good and the comp test will help us to advise you correctly.
                  80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Also, throttle should be held wide open during the compression test, unless your carbs are already off the bike.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Glad to hear your getting it all sorted,
                      as good as a compression check is, it wont always
                      show incorrect valve adjustment.
                      I had 150psi right across the board, even tho 3 intake valves
                      had no clearances, made a huge difference when it was corrected,
                      well worth checking your valve clearances.
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots
                      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                      X