Bike just wont start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there's just the basic few things ...

needed for it to start. Timing, Spark, Air/Fuel mix and Compression. Start ticking them off and you will get to the one or ones that are missing.
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I did a compression check before and it is good. I know the spark is nice and hot. I don't think the timing is off but maybe it is... I think the carbs are just so far out of whack it wont start. I don't know how to get it adjusted correctly. they are clean but it takes more then clean carbs for a bike to run the bike does start on starting fluid and will idle as long as you keep spraying a little in the intake. It just wont run off gas now I have to find a carb slide diaphragm before I can even do anything else to it. I thought about buying a set of carbs from Ebay. there are some for about $400 that look new (they have been rebuilt and cleaned) but I don't want to spend $400 more one the bike just to get it to run. I already have to buy another battery and 2 more tiers. so by the time I do that and buy carbs I will be at like $800 more...
      "Lead by example, Follow by choice"

1979 xs1100sf 10,182 miles

Comment

As far as the V-max goes-they were the top dog as far as acceleration back in the day but they do have their issues.As comfortable as the XS1100? maybe i don't see many of them around.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Hi, does anyone here know if a diaphragm from a Mikuni BS38 CV will work in the Mikuni BS34 CV? I found a site were I can just get the rubber for the slide but they only have the bs38 :S

Comment

I sat on a new VMax ..

yesterday at the dealer ... OMG ... BEAUTIFUL bike . I could barely get my toes to touch the ground ... 197 horsepwr ... cool looking scooter ... not for me though. Seat was hard even if I could get my feet down ... I'll just stick with my G.

It sounds like you need to do a 'bread tie' bench sync. See the tech tips section. That sets the carbs throttle plates pretty darn close before you install them. Float levels are touchy on the XS11s too ... so be sure that you have the correct level and then turn the carbs right side up and observe the float drop. Make sure there is some and it's even on all the floats... maybe a little less than half an inch

Reverse the tank, set it on the frame using longer than usual pieces of fuel hose to connect it without the octy and turn to prime for your next attempt at starting it ... make sure the hoses are not kinked ... try that next time you get a chance to work on it. I'm pm'd you abut a slide diaphram.
            80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Thx for the tips. I am making sure my carbs are super clean. found a little bit of stuff in them so it might have cause some of the problems. I am sure the carbs need to have the floats adjusted, but I can not get the drain screw out of the bowels. They are forever frozen in place. I checked out that carb sinking thread I will defiantly give it a shot too. I guess I am going to buy one of those carb sinking gauges... I think i read somewhere that the stock float height is 25mm or something is that right? I also found a source for the rubber diaphragms. not cheap but around $20 each so a lot cheaper then the hole slide.

Comment

Can you remove the float bowls?Don't remove the drain screw yet.Put a rag or something underneath to catch the fuel that may be in the bowls.Are the carbs off the bike?A lot easier to work on if they are off.Are there 4 screws that hold the bowl on.using a good screwdriver remove the screws carefully.You can get replacement screws pretty cheap.Any hardware store should have them.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

diaphram ...

I have never seen new diaphragms for that year carbs ... maybe there are some but I haven't seen um ... people that have extras generally hold onto them .... replacements can be bought for the later model carbs but they don't interchange ... so be very careful what you buy.

Carbs need to be off the motor for adjusting floats and pre-synch with bread tie or fine wire. Look over all the tech tips on carbs before you proceed ... .. or have Ivan or Psycho .. or whoever offered earlier to come down to help. Will save you a TON of headache.
                  80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Hi, Yes the carbs are off the bike. all the screws have been replaced 2 years ago with SS Allen head screws so they all come out easy I polished the inside of the bowls last night with a dremel after I used carb cleaner on them. they are super clean now. tonight I am going to work on cleaning the rest of the carb body.

Comment

• I found someone that had a mold professionally made and is now reproducing them. he has been doing so with other model carbs for some time here is a pic of the molds

http://files.me.com/scot_moore/zl2pfr

Comment

• Thx. I have read through all the tips ect... on this site and have most of the guide archived as pdf's encase something happens to one of them I will order my float gauge and see if i can get them set after I Finnish cleaning them. I will post pics of them after I am done

Comment

• here is the guage I was going to buy unless someone says it doesn't work very well

http://item.ebay.com/200477314708

Comment

• Originally posted by edavi394 View Post
                            I found someone that had a mold professionally made and is now reproducing them. he has been doing so with other model carbs for some time here is a pic of the molds

http://files.me.com/scot_moore/zl2pfr
                            So, how might someone else buy some of those new diaphragms??
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

• I will get you the link.. it is on my home pc though so I will try to post it tonight

Comment

• Cbug, You should go see if you could give him a hand.

He's only about 50 or 60 miles away.

Comment

Working...
                                X