No announcement yet.

Bike just wont start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about the tank, glad to hear your solved it.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

same same

Dude I did the same thing last year . Put the tank on a retaining wall in my parking lot . The gas ran from one side to the other and it fell off the wall . Made a big dent . I had airbrushing on it too . Over the winter the tank was bodyfilled and repainted . Today I think it looks better without the airbrushing and I'm good to go . Good luck and hang on when you get her gassed up .
      XJ1100K
      Avon rubber
      MikesXS black coils
      Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
      MikesXS front master
      Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
      Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
      Progressive fork springs
      CIBIE headlight reflector
      YICS Eliminator

Comment

Well I am back. After my last post I had some issues come up and I never put gas in the bike so I never started it up. it has been covered now for another 2 years. This past weekend I thought I would try to start it. I put a battery and gas in it and hit the button but she would't start... I sprayed some starting fluid in the intakes and it tried to start off that. I thought maybe it was not getting enough gas so i put it on prime. I started getting a few drips of gas out the back of the carbs so i turned off prime. tried it again and it back fired out of the carb and caught fire. luckily I had a water hose right beside me encase of something like that I was able to put out the fire before any damage was done. but now I once again have a bike that wont start. only this time I live an hour away from where my bike is stored and I work 12 hours a day. i have some weekends free but good luck getting any parts that i might need where it is located. I would like to pay someone to fix this or get something else. anyone live near st. charles MO and wants to fix a bike?
        "Lead by example, Follow by choice"

1979 xs1100sf 10,182 miles

Comment

Roll it down a hill.

Japan is a place on a hill and they roll theirs down a hill until they have "slant eyes" from looking at the sloping mountains. Get someone to tow you with a strap or chain? You've got to spin the engine a lot until you recognize what is making it fire. New plugs is always a good guess.
          [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

Don't even attempt it until you remove the petcocks, and carbs, and clean. You could end up with a fire if you persist. There are lots of tips from the gurus on here, so you should be able to handle it. Just ask!!!
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight
            1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
            A quick death and an easy one.
            A pretty girl and an honest one.
            A cold beer and another one!

Comment

well it was all cleaned 2 years ago and no gas in it until now. i have inline filters to make sure nothing but gas gets in the carbs...

Comment

The brass and aluminum in the carbs will oxidize (rust) if not covered by something (fuel). Just because it didn't have fuel in it, does not mean the carbs don't need to be cleaned again. Take them apart and give them a good cleaning, and you'll be back on the road in no time.

BTW, water is NOT the best idea for putting out a fuel fire! You need a dry-chem extinguisher for that. Water will just spread the flames around.

You're not too far from me. If you need help, just holler! It would be a nice ride out to your area!
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Hey thanks. I know water is not the best for fire (my dad was a fire fighter) but water is all I had to use if done correctly it will put out the fire pretty quickly...
                  The Bike right now is in Louisiana MO and I live In St. Charles. I honestly am done working on the bike until I get to ride it or atleast hear it running. I put so much time into it before I just get pissed now when ever I see the bike or when it doesn't start. I honestly think I would do something I would regret later If I tried working on it again. It is a shame because I used to love the bike but that has almost been to long ago for me to remember. I just want it to run...

Comment

Like I said, I'd be happy to help you out if you need it. Remember it's just a machine, and a simple one at that. A nice long weekend coming - it would be a shame to waste it. Let's get you riding again! Unless, of course, you just want me to relieve you of your frustration, and take it off your hands?!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Hey thanks for the offer I can not work on it this weekend if I wanted to live to ride it though. My wife would kill me since she has had a camping trip planed for a year now I guess next weekend i will pull the carbs off and give them another cleaning... if it doesn't start then though.........

Comment

I have been thinking... if i don't get this running soon I might be selling it or interested in trading it towards a xj1100 ( like the curves on the xj better) or a 90's vmax... I want something dependable though. anyone know much about the maxims or the vmax? I know the maxim were based off the xs model...

Comment

Originally posted by edavi394 View Post
                          I have been thinking... if i don't get this running soon I might be selling it or interested in trading it towards a xj1100 ( like the curves on the xj better) or a 90's vmax... I want something dependable though. anyone know much about the maxims or the vmax? I know the maxim were based off the xs model...
                          The XJ1100 (only made in '82 in the US) is a LOT like the XS11, and just has a few electronic differences, and the YICS system in the engine. There is a pair of XJ1100's for sale on Craigslist in St. Louis for $1500. They both need a little work, and if I had the $$, I would have bought them, and fixed them both, and sold them for $1500 EACH!
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

lol yeah I saw your post on them. I thought about buying them but i am really wanting something i can start riding now with no work to get it running. I don't mind putting work into one some at a later date I just need another mode of transportation right now and and I thought a might spend a few k and get a good bike... not that i really have the money right now but It is that or buy another car which cost more...

Comment

I am seriously looking for a vmax now. I might still fix my xs11 but will probably by a vmax. I know there are some people here that have both or have ridden both. how comfortable is the vmax vs the xs11? thanks

Comment

Well it looks like I need a carb slide diaphragm
                                when I had the fire one of them melted a little
                                carbs still looked clean nothing in them but gas
                                bike has me stumped. Clean carbs new plugs and coils still won't start

forgot to ask where can I get a carb slide diaphragm?
                                I looked at partsnmore but they don't have my year
                                Last edited by edavi394; 06-05-2010, 09:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask

Comment

Working...
                                X