Bike just wont start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
    Cbug, You should go see if you could give him a hand.

He's only about 50 or 60 miles away.
    I've offered many times. Just waiting on the call.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

• Yes CBUG has offered to help and even do it for me. And I have considered Both.. Main thing now stopping me from either is I am probably not going to keep this bike so if I have to spend more then $100 to get it going at this point I doubt I will fix it. I am going to go ahead and clean the carbs and adjust the floats sink them ect.. but after that if it doesn't fire right up I am done. if it does start I may or may not go ahead and buy another battery and tires. right now carbs are with me in St. charles MO and bike is setting in Louisiana MO... and I work about 12 hours a day and my wife is always nice enough to decide what we are doing on the weekends and funny thing is it is never working on my bike :P
      "Lead by example, Follow by choice"

1979 xs1100sf 10,182 miles

Comment

• Well, if you really want to get rid of it, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands too!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

• Hey all, I just got my carbs cleaned and put back together. I did the bench sync and got the floats set good I think right at 25.5mm. I noticed the idle mixture screws are not set even close to the same level and I was going to go by harbor freight today and pick up some vacuum gauges and sync the carbs. i thought I would get 4 gauges so I could have a readout on all the carbs at the same time. my question is though what pressure level should I set them to? and also how do I hook the gauges to the carbs? thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by edavi394 View Post
            Hey all, I just got my carbs cleaned and put back together. I did the bench sync and got the floats set good I think right at 25.5mm. I noticed the idle mixture screws are not set even close to the same level and I was going to go by harbor freight today and pick up some vacuum gauges and sync the carbs. i thought I would get 4 gauges so I could have a readout on all the carbs at the same time. my question is though what pressure level should I set them to? and also how do I hook the gauges to the carbs? thanks
            The problem with using 4 different gauges, is that (especially on the cheap crap from HF) they won't all read exactly the same, my cheap-o ones are off by about 10%, which is a lot. I prefer to use a single gauge and use valves to control which cylinder I'm looking at, or simply swap the hose around but that gets old fast.

Your not looking for a specific "amount" of vacuum, what your looking for is that they all read the same, Usually when I get mine synched in at about 1000rpm I'm reading around "10" on my gauge, but again, the number isn't important, what is important is that all of the cylinders read as close to the same as you can get them.

You hook the gauges to the nipples on the intake boots, between the carbs and the engine. You'll have to remove the vacuum caps that are on the nipples and then attache the hose from your gauge.

Try reading the tech tips, and doing a few searches for "synch"...tons of good "how to" information already out there.
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

• hi thanks.. I might just use one gauge then... i was thinking about using the tube filled with fluid method but I thought the gauges would be easier and cleaner. I have read everything I could find on the forums about syncing the carbs i just didn't see any one mention where you hook too and since i have the carbs here and my bike isn't i did not see anywhere on the carbs to hook too...

Comment

• Just to be sure and make the directions so stupid proof even I could not mess this up , do not pull all four vacuum caps off at the same time. Only pull the one your putting the gage on. Then return it when you remove the gage line and move on the the next carb.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

• lol yeah I could just see it now... why is this stupid thing working...

I would like to say I couldn't mess up like that but I did go for a ride one of the last times I had my bike running and after a few miles it just died and I could not get it to start. after about 5 mins trying to figure out what was wrong i realised I still had the gas turned off to the carbs guess what it started and ran good once i turned the gas on lol

Comment

• Yep, I know someone who did the same thing, even pushed the bike halfway back to the house before the light bulb came on.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

lol yeah I could just see it now... why is this stupid thing working...

I would like to say I couldn't mess up like that but I did go for a ride one of the last times I had my bike running and after a few miles it just died and I could not get it to start. after about 5 mins trying to figure out what was wrong i realised I still had the gas turned off to the carbs guess what it started and ran good once i turned the gas on lol
                      I don't think I know anyone that rides a bike who hasn't done that at least once.
                      1979 xs1100 Special -
                      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                      My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

• Carbtune Pro

Check out the Carbtune Pro with 4 readouts . I wouldnt even try it any other way . Colortuning is the second part of the process to set the idle circuit mixtune ( works up to 4000 rpm) .Finish off with another sync .
                        XJ1100K
                        Avon rubber
                        MikesXS black coils
                        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                        MikesXS front master
                        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                        Progressive fork springs
                        CIBIE headlight reflector
                        YICS Eliminator

Comment

Main thing now stopping me from either is I am probably not going to keep this bike so if I have to spend more then $100 to get it going at this point I doubt I will fix it.
                          Kinda doubt he's going to drop the 200+ for a carbtune and color tune tool. Heck I intend to keep my bike and I won't spend that kind of cash, gauges, manometers, and plug reading works just as well for me.
                          1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                          [link is broken]

Comment

• thx for the tip on the carbtune. I don't think I want to spend the cash on it right now though since I still don't know if I am going to keep this bike or not. If i find a good vmax that I can get a loan for I will be getting one of those. it has to be a 2003 or newer though my bank said... and I don't want to spend as much as most are going for right now. we will see though if this beast can get back on the road again.

Comment

• You said you have been offered help from a fellow member, have you taken him up on his offer?2 heads are better than1 so what could it hurt?Don't give up.
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              Inline fuel filters
                              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                              160 mph speedometer mod
                              Kerker Exhaust
                              xschop K & N air filter setup
                              Dynojet Recalibration kit
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

• yes I have been offered help. how ever help is not all the issue time is a bigger deal. it took me 2 weeks to get enough time to clean my carbs it might be another 2 weeks before i even put them on the bike. money is the other issue. i spent a good $600 on this bike and i know i willl have to spend several hundred more to ride it after i buy tires and another battery ect... I just can't help but thinking if I would just spend 3k on a good vmax that i would have a newer bike and maybe something that i didn't have to spend so much time and money on. (I know I will get some coments on that statement) just the way i feel right now. I do really like the xs11 though. it was such a good bike to me when i road it daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X