No announcement yet.

And It Begins ... again :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the fuel supply hoses for the Dial-A-Jet system. If your not familiar with Dial-A-Jet it is an external fuel supply system that can automatically add up to 15% additional fuel in an atomized state to the intake mouths of the carbs. It delivers this additional fuel depending on the engines demands. The system has external adjustment screws which makes fine tuning a breeze once the carb jetting is in the ball park. They are very popular with snowmobilers.
    Carb tops are after market poly chrome units from e-Bay.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I have seen the system but not familiar with it. So if I understand you, I could use close to stock jets and dial in the fuel for aftermarket exhaust and air filters without swapping mains in and out?
      Ernie
      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

That's correct .. on stock engines they recommend reducing the main jet for the system to work to it best advantage.
        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Coooooool !
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Aircraft coating remover and polish

Hey Rob,
            Will that coating remover strip the paint off the frame if I do my engine while it's on the bike?
            Also, you say you use Custom English Polish. Is that a brand or your custom blend?
            BTW - I was also thinking about polishing mine with brass wire wheels as you have.
            Fantastic results!!
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

The aircraft coating remover will remove all paint types including epoxy and backed on finishes. That means that you would want to pull the engine to do it.
              The polish is a brand name of a museum quality metal restoration polish system. Here's the link

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/

Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

cleaning the ports

Hey Rob, I can barely see where the factory had the same imperfection on the intake ports to carb boots step...You can jam lint cloth in the intakes and dremel tool the edges to match the boots while you have it torn down...JAT....Also that aircraft stripper will take the paint off the frame easily and if you wanted to strip the frame and motor, you could do so to the whole thing and pressure wash it....been there done that...chop
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Re: cleaning the ports

Originally posted by xschop
                  Hey Rob, I can barely see where the factory had the same imperfection on the intake ports to carb boots step...You can jam lint cloth in the intakes and dremel tool the edges to match the boots while you have it torn down...JAT....Also that aircraft stripper will take the paint off the frame easily and if you wanted to strip the frame and motor, you could do so to the whole thing and pressure wash it....been there done that...chop
                  Yes if you were doing both the engine and the frame you could do it without pulling the engine but you would not get to all the places you might want to get to with the engine mounted. I'm not sure what factory defect / misalignment your referring to? When i ported and polished the head last year I didn't do anything to the intake side because the boots were already a near perfect match to the intake manifolds. Perhaps your boots are aftermarket and don't fit as well as factory parts?
                  Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Got the oil gage and trany parts installed this afternoon. Also some other loose ends. I am not ready to install the pick-up coils, timing cover,starter and buff the valve cover. Now it's time to have a few too many RYE and cokes :-)
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

ports

no, I ave NOS boots...the lip I,m talking about is bottom left of the ports, every head I've seen looks like the factory took some kind of tool and knocked off the casting there....
                      MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

I'll check that out before I call her complete. How much misalignment are we talking about here?
                        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

enough

enough to disturb the intake flow, this last head I cleaned up had ports 3,4 the worst. Just clean the junctions and angle them into the head. Like I said they have been on the lower left of ports 3,4 and lower right of 1,2 on every head I' ve seen. When I rebuilt my Honda Civic head it had the same type of imperfections in the port castings. I cleaned them up, and polished the combustion chambers...extra 4mpg's now with the New K&N filter...JAT, Chop
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Oil pressure

I have made, and will make for anyone else, a special adaptor for an oil pressure guage like in the pic. The adaptor is a special part with special sized orfices inside and groves for oil flow that must be right or oil flow will not be correct. Look at the bolt that you take out of there and you will see what I mean. I make them out of stainless steel for $20 each in case you're interested.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

gauge adapter

Hey guys, I don't have any idiot lights on the chop, What is the normal oil pressure suppose to be at, and how much does it increase when revving, under load? Also what's the best guage to get for our motor's pressure range?...Hey Plane, I'll PM you. What type stainless do you use?
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F

Hey Don ... Keep in mind that when you clean your engine you are cleaning aged PAINT. This engine has the paint removed and the alloy buffed to a high brushed shine. That's the difference.
                                Rob

Definitely a project for me to consider later this fall.

Don
                                currently own;
                                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
                                X