And It Begins ... again :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And It Begins ... again :-)

Being that I booked the WRONG time frame off for the rally :-( I have jumped in head over heals into the work on the hop-up 78 XS11. Yesterday I put the aircraft coating stripper to the the lower 1/2 of the engine and this morning I started the buffing process. It's looking good. As soon as this engine is a sealed unit again I will strip the frame.

Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Question?

Having never had to pull the engine out of the frame of an xs1100. My book says to pull the engine from the frame you have to pull the head first, but it also says you have to pull the engine to remove the middle gear box, which is not true, so will the engine come out of the frame intact, or do you have to remove some parts. Bye the way thats one good looking engine.
    Fastmover
    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
    lion". SHL
    78 XS1100e

Comment

The engine will go into or come out of the frame as a complete unit. They tell you to remove several components but that's to keep the weight down.
      Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Stunned

Ablsolutely perfect. Looks like it just came from the factory. Good work, my man!! What will you use for a sealer?
        J.D."Jack" Smith
        1980G&S "Halfbreed"
        1978E straight job
        "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

I will not be sealing it with anything. It's normally painted from the factory. The polish I use is PH balanced and contains no ammonia. It leaves its own protective coating on in in the surface of the metal. So long as the bike does not sit unattended for extended periods of time it will be OK.
          Rob
          Last edited by 79XS11F; 06-01-2008, 12:16 PM.

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

bling

Can you hold on for a second or two, I'm going to get my shades so I can take a better look .....
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Hey chop ...
              Yes indeed I do like a shiny engine. Of course the best stuff in on the inside ...
              It'll look even better when I get that Chain Drive unit re-installed :-) I have the week off so I will be starting on the frame. If all goes well it will be ready for the wielding by weeks end.
              Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

smooth operator

Hey Rob, I just came in from a trip to the local auto parts store for some more electrical tape. I suppose even the O-ring chains make just a little noise. I almost forgot that I will design a chaingaurd (bolt on even) that will attach without having to remove the sprocket/chain...I think I will make it out of mild steel and flat black it too. I have shorts on (It's Friggin 97 deg. already!) I was looking down and thought my bare ankle is a little too close for comfort to the spinning locknut....
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Yes I have been thinking on the back burner about a chain guard. In Ontario you can't get a safety without one and in any case you will want one to keep the chain oil off everything including yourself.
                  Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

chaingaurd

Billet is getting to high to outweigh the cost of making them out of steel..I figure I can make them for about $35 worth of material. I will machine some 1/8" steel plates and weld tubes to them that offset down to the upper and lower housing bolts....will keep you posted...chop
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Looking Good Rob,

When do you want me to drop off my engine?

Paul
                      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                      1979 XS1100 Standard
                      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

What striper are you using?

Hi Rob,
                        Exactly what striper is it that you're using that leaves the engine looking so sweet? Man, I'd be afraid to leave it unattended looking like that. And also, what do you buff it with?

Many Thanks, Cobia
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

The paint is removed using aircraft coating remover. Strong stuff in deed. Then I wire wheel it using a coarse brass wheel followed by a fine brass wheel. I use about 4 different sized wheels of each grade. Then the whole thing is is rubbed down with Custom English Polish. It took about 6 hours across 2 days to get the cases to that point.
                          Next I will bag the bottom end and tape it off just under the fins and strip the top end. Because of the fins I will have to use a garden hose to clean the stripper off followed by the wire wheels.
                          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Great work Rob!!!!

Hey Paul before you drop yours off swing by and grab mine, maybe Rob can give a volume discount?

Seriously though, Rob, what is running from your oil sender, is it like an extension for a pressure gauge?
                            Ernie
                            79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                            (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

is it like an extension for a pressure gauge
                              Rob,

Nevermind, my eyes were playing tricks on me, not used to looking at the motor stripped like that.
                              Ernie
                              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
                              X