Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm the new guy... and want this bike. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I sent another email off to the seller inquiring about a lot of the things you all brought up here. Hopefully I'll hear back today from him.

Originally posted by strom
    XS as a first bike... why not. But treat it with respect and know your dis/abilities. It is definetly not a learners bike, but do an MSF course and you should be fine.

If you plan just to ride it... do it. If you plan to make it picture perfect... well.. it will take some $$$.

The exhaust is not stock and it is loud. Had similar one on a small guzzi... sounded like a ww2 bomber

Good luck!
    I'm not a person who likes to let an injury keep me down, so to speak. I got an award in Basic Training called the "Hard Charger Award" for doing everything w/o so much as a single complaint even though I had a hip injury. However, that doesn't mean that I don't know my own limits. Thanks for the concern!

I want to ride at this point more than make it perfect, but fixin' her up will come with time, I'm sure.

WW2 bomber, huh? My first mod might be getting quieter exhaust. If I'm not mistaken, the 4-1 exhaust is quieter, right? What's the one that looks like a cone, like the one in this YouTube video?
    Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-06-2008, 06:42 AM.
    "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

Hey Stoked,

My ignorance is showing isn't it! I don't follow the new modern bikes/models, so I didn't check to see what those models that you suggested were. Yeah, I've seen some of the upright style bikes they are making, just didn't make the connection!

Ryan, those pipes/mufflers have internal all metal baffles, as per the description from the MAC MC supplement catalog, but they say that for the HONDA 4-2 turn out muffs, they don't say anything about the Yamaha 4-2 turn outs, just what they will fit and price! You can view the catalog by accessing
      This PDF file link, surprisingly MAC didn't show photos when searching their website for the pipes, they left them in their online PDF catalog!

I've heard those pipes with the baffles OUT and they sound like a Harley without mufflers, but "they=MAC" say they are MELLOW sounding with the baffles in place, so hopefully they are still there in those pipes??

Those pipes in that video are Kerker brand if I'm not mistaken, not available anymore. You should be able to get some other slip on mufflers to fit onto the MAC headers IF you find the tone too loud. Or even just some aftermarket baffles IF the PO removed them! MAC does promise continued use of the Centerstand and easy access to the oil filter with their 4-1 pipes, as well as the others!

Rigging up a Cane holder shouldn't be problem, either across the handlebars, like the rifle holders on horses , or even beside the front fork, or along the frame beside the seat.

Strom, the Specials axle nut IS on the opposite side compared to the Standards, so it's in the right place, just noted the RUST on the end, not a big deal really, exposure to rain etc. can cause that!

Ryan, no aspersions intended towards your buddy on the HARLEY, but riding a bike and being able to WORK on one are two different things entirely! The XS11 is a very reliable and sturdy machine, but can be damaged or lead to severe damage if even minor work like adjusting the cam chain tensioner are done incorrectly! I haven't seen your post for assistance in checking out the bike in person, but perhaps IF one of our fine XSives is close to where the bike is, then like you said, it could be delivered, or even picked up/ridden by them, and then for a nominal fee(don't want to offer folks services for free....but many would do it for a BREW ) could get it road worthy so you could RIDE it to your home....perhaps after you finish the MSF???

BTW, class space for these MSF courses can be limited, and so arranging and registering ahead of time for it to occur near the beginning of your Month's leave would be best, otherwise you might not be able to get into a class in time!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Just as a hint for your cane.....
        Pick up the steel clamps they use to hang up brooms, and mount two of them on the frame/body near the tank. You should be able to mount them so you can just snap the cane in place, and pull it out and use it on a hurry when needed. You might even try mounting on the front forks, on the left side of the fork tube?
        Just my suggestion. I WOULD get more information from the seller BEFORE bidding. Put you max bid at $999.99, and if the bike DOES NOT sell, get back in touch with the seller and see if you can get it for that. He may realize he has the price set too high, and may let you have it for closer to a "reasonable" price.
        Welcome to the forum, and from an old 11B2P, thanks for your service.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

attachment or something on there that could hold my cane
          Should not be a problem.
          I carry a 62 inch fly rod case on one of my standards and plan to make a scabbard to hold a cue stick on one of my specials. Several places to attach something around rear fender and passenger peg too.
          Cane?

Que stick is an Adams, made in 69'/70'
          The walking stick was a Christmas gift from a friend and be much older

know my own limits
          Can take a year plus of regular riding/practice to develop the reflexes and correct responses to ride safely. There be no guaranties, $hit happens... but any day riding is better than sitting in a cage

mro

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
            Ryan, those pipes/mufflers have internal all metal baffles, as per the description from the MAC MC supplement catalog... [snip] ...I've heard those pipes with the baffles OUT and they sound like a Harley without mufflers, but "they=MAC" say they are MELLOW sounding with the baffles in place, so hopefully they are still there in those pipes??
            Yes, hopefully indeed! "Loud" is my biggest problem with most motorcycles. haha

Rigging up a Cane holder shouldn't be problem, either across the handlebars, like the rifle holders on horses , or even beside the front fork, or along the frame beside the seat.
            Originally posted by DiverRay
            Just as a hint for your cane.....
            Pick up the steel clamps they use to hang up brooms, and mount two of them on the frame/body near the tank. You should be able to mount them so you can just snap the cane in place, and pull it out and use it on a hurry when needed. You might even try mounting on the front forks, on the left side of the fork tube?
            Good ideas, fellas! I knew there was something out there that would do the trick, but wouldn't have thought about broom-holders! Thanks!

Originally posted by DiverRay
            Just my suggestion. I WOULD get more information from the seller BEFORE bidding. Put you max bid at $999.99, and if the bike DOES NOT sell, get back in touch with the seller and see if you can get it for that. He may realize he has the price set too high, and may let you have it for closer to a "reasonable" price.
            Welcome to the forum, and from an old 11B2P, thanks for your service.
            In my first email to him, the seller said he expects it to sell at the listed price, but if it doesn't he'll re-list it cheaper. I sent an email back with about eight more questions. Once I hear back, I'll post and let everyone know what he said (no reply as of yet, though). I really want this bike bad, so hopefully I can talk him into working something out about payment (January is a big "bonus money" month for me, but I haven't gotten any of it yet).

And thank you for your service, as well.

Ryan, no aspersions intended towards your buddy on the HARLEY, but riding a bike and being able to WORK on one are two different things entirely! The XS11 is a very reliable and sturdy machine, but can be damaged or lead to severe damage if even minor work like adjusting the cam chain tensioner are done incorrectly!
            My buddy was upfront with me and said he didn't know anything about Yamaha's, but that there is a dealer right there in my home town that could help me out with getting the rear tire changed and any misc. stuff that is serious (but not aesthetic) to get me on the road ASAP. The seller said he'd replace the tire for an additional $80.

I haven't seen your post for assistance in checking out the bike in person, but perhaps IF one of our fine XSives is close to where the bike is, then like you said, it could be delivered, or even picked up/ridden by them, and then for a nominal fee(don't want to offer folks services for free....but many would do it for a BREW ) could get it road worthy so you could RIDE it to your home....perhaps after you finish the MSF???
            My other thread is here . I did the "Member West Virginia" search that you set up, but the closest member who has their info in that thread is in Charleston, WV (I didn't post in it since I don't actually have a bike yet). My family has said they'd be willing to go pick it up for me and take it back home to Martinsburg, WV. Not sure if anyone is closer to there or not but maybe isn't registered? Also, I guess if anyone was on the far east side of Ohio, they might be in range, too, since Parkersburg is on the western limit of WV.

BTW, class space for these MSF courses can be limited, and so arranging and registering ahead of time for it to occur near the beginning of your Month's leave would be best, otherwise you might not be able to get into a class in time!
            T.C.
            Haha, my buddy just said that same thing to me in his reply email! I've got the number to the school here and plan on calling them on Monday. I just gotta work out the 14-hour time difference! Trust me, this is not an option for me. If I'm gonna ride, then I'm gonna take the course (required or not)!

mro, that's a nice walking stick! And I wasn't trying to sound cocky about knowing my own limits, I just meant I know what my knee/body can handle.
            Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-06-2008, 04:56 PM.
            "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

here is a nice bike in N. J. - ebay item number 130187921038

Comment

Bad news!

Hey Ryan,

I hate to say this, but it looks like the seller has PULLED the listing early! Either he got a local bid for it, or felt you/we knew too much about the bike re: all the questions, and just decided not to sell it at this time??

If it's become unobtainium, like ACOF said, there are others out there. Completing the MSF course will put you in the Driver's Seat so to speak, so that If you find one a bit further away, you'll be able to go get it and drive it back.
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: Bad news!

Hey Ryan,

I hate to say this, but it looks like the seller has PULLED the listing early! Either he got a local bid for it, or felt you/we knew too much about the bike re: all the questions, and just decided not to sell it at this time??

If it's become unobtainium, like ACOF said, there are others out there. Completing the MSF course will put you in the Driver's Seat so to speak, so that If you find one a bit further away, you'll be able to go get it and drive it back.
                  T.C.
                  I'm sending the seller an email right now asking about it. I never heard back from him regarding my email with the questions. Man, I'm sad now. I was very excited about buying this bike.
                  Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-07-2008, 02:17 AM.

Comment

What's the difference between the '81 XS and the '82 XJ... like this one? Would this other one be as good a buy? I'd have to ship it instead of family picking it up, but other than that, I've got a Yamaha dealership right down the road from my family's house back home that can do what it needs to get it running.

Thoughts please?

Comment

Hi Ryan,

The Yamaha dealer may be local, but check whether they are happy to work on a bike which is 25+ years old; many won't touch 'em.

It could be older than most of the mechanics!

Generally, these bikes (or any bike of this age!) needs a lot of little, niggly jobs done....... none usually hard, but pretty time consuming. The labour bill from a dealer who puts it on a lift and works through it all can rapidly get scary, which is why most riders end up sorting them out at home.

I love these bikes (I have five.....) but I am not sure that any bike of this age is a good prospect to try to sort out by "Remote control".....

If you have limited time, I would suggest something newer and lighter, which you can jump on and ride without the usual disappointments of an older bike...... It is easy for minor issues to use up a lot of time, 'cos no-one keeps the parts, the shop does not have the manual,etc, etc...........

Once you are permanently in the same country as the bike, a classic machine starts to make a LOT more sense.........

Best of luck, no matter what you decide to do!

AlanB
                      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Found another XJ on ebay that is closer than the XS I was looking at earlier in this thread, but a little more expensive with more miles than the XJ I linked to in my previous post. I'm not too keen on the red, and don't like the backed seat, but both of those can change (I can swap out that high-backed seat/frame, right?). I like that this guy listed everything he's done with it, for the most part. I also like the larger gas tank (thanks to Jerry for the detailed list of differences between the XS and XJ in this thread) and the fact that it has the same amount of power/torque as the XS 1100 Special (which means I can still burn most everything on the road once I learn how!).

I think this one has become my new "most feasible" purchase now. You guys gonna make fun of me if I get an XJ instead of an XS (this is an XS forum, I hear... haha)?

Comments/suggestions? I am really relying on you guys here to let me know if this is good or not. I'm dead set on buying a bike to have waiting on me for when I come home, and this one seems like it is drivable right "out of the box", so to speak.
                        Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-07-2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

On second thought, the more I look at it, the more I kind of actually like the red.

Comment

"Watch it, you'll offend people."

You guys gonna make fun of me if I get an XJ instead of an XS (this is an XS forum, I hear... haha)?
                            Plenty of XJ riders here.... and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them shortly!

And, uhm... You're currently typing in the XS11/XJ11 Discussion forum so you're OK. (We're a forgiving bunch, here.)
                            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: "Watch it, you'll offend people."

Originally posted by prometheus578

Plenty of XJ riders here.... and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them shortly!
                              Cool, I hope so!

And, uhm... You're currently typing in the XS11/XJ11 Discussion forum so you're OK. (We're a forgiving bunch, here.)
                              Perceptive... ain't I? LOL

Comment

Check this out

Item number: 250203599296 ebay

1981 YAMAHA XS1100 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL XS 1100

No mention of title and "parts bike" kinda scary part.
                                1978 1100E Standard
                                2 1985 700 Maxim's (black & red)
                                1986 600 Radian (basket case)
                                1979? GS1000 (no title)
                                1980 1100SG Special

Comment

Working...
                                X