Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm the new guy... and want this bike. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Check this out

Well, I got an email back from the XS guy. He said he sold it locally. Oh well, ceste' la vis.

Originally posted by switz1
    Item number: 250203599296 ebay

1981 YAMAHA XS1100 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL XS 1100

No mention of title and "parts bike" kinda scary part.
    Indeed. Also a little further away than I care to pay for shipping. Thanks for pointing it out, though!

Ok, on the XJ posted above. The guy's reserve is $1,800. 5 days left with no bidders yet. I thought about making him an offer via email. My family was happy about it being closer than the XS I was looking at before, so pick-up and cash payment is not a problem. Suggestions on a fair price? He emailed me back and said it is ready to ride and reaffirmed that it runs and shifts great. He also said he thinks he still has the grab bar so I could swap out the sissy bar (a bonus in my book).
    Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-07-2008, 05:51 PM.
    "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

How many miles on the XJ? What is the cosmetic condition of the bike? This time of year, $1,200 to $1,400 would be MAX for the bike, unless it has >20K VERIFIED miles and looks like new.
      Don't forget, the second gear problem WILL show up in almost all of these bikes. Even the early Venture Royales and Vmax machines had the problem!
      Just my thoughts....
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
        How many miles on the XJ? What is the cosmetic condition of the bike? This time of year, $1,200 to $1,400 would be MAX for the bike, unless it has >20K VERIFIED miles and looks like new.
        Don't forget, the second gear problem WILL show up in almost all of these bikes. Even the early Venture Royales and Vmax machines had the problem!
        Just my thoughts....
        17874 miles. Looks great cosmetically! Did I post the ebay link incorrectly?
        "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

Hey Ryan,

The red XJ is only listed at $1000 starting bid?? I think the XS81MNS is the $1,800 bike.

The XJ has aftermarket 4-1 pipes, but other than that, it looks fairly stock, gauges not faded, so appears garage kept?

As you've read the XS vs XJ description that Jerry provided, yes, it has the larger gas tank vs. the XS special. But it also has many more electronic monitoring devices, and a computer that monitors system functions. The TCI(black box-ignition) is a bit more rare since it was only made in USA for 1 year, Canada till 84, but still not that many! Both the Centrifugal and vacuum advance curves are programmed into the TCI vs. the 78-80 series of XS's that use mechanical devices for cent. and vacuum advance curves! There was a recent thread on the discussion of the ignition units for the XJ and XS's, and their differences, just something to consider IF the TCI were to get fried/die!?!?

The backrest will come in handy for supporting a person that you give a ride to...SWMBO or significant other, children, etc. Also provides a place to strap your duffle bag to!

With all of the work recently being done on it, it may be more road worthy quicker than the other XS!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
            Hey Ryan,

The red XJ is only listed at $1000 starting bid?? I think the XS81MNS is the $1,800 bike.
            Yeah, I asked the seller of the red XJ what his reserve was. He said $1800.

The XJ has aftermarket 4-1 pipes, but other than that, it looks fairly stock, gauges not faded, so appears garage kept?
            the 4-1 are quieter pipes, right?

As you've read the XS vs XJ description that Jerry provided, yes, it has the larger gas tank vs. the XS special. But it also has many more electronic monitoring devices, and a computer that monitors system functions. The TCI(black box-ignition) is a bit more rare since it was only made in USA for 1 year, Canada till 84, but still not that many! Both the Centrifugal and vacuum advance curves are programmed into the TCI vs. the 78-80 series of XS's that use mechanical devices for cent. and vacuum advance curves! There was a recent thread on the discussion of the ignition units for the XJ and XS's, and their differences, just something to consider IF the TCI were to get fried/die!?!?
            If that were to happen (TCI death), can it not be repaired electronically? Also, I'm not sure I understand the difference between the "mechanical advance" and "vacuum advance". Is one better than the other?

The backrest will come in handy for supporting a person that you give a ride to...SWMBO or significant other, children, etc. Also provides a place to strap your duffle bag to!
            Oh, I'm gonna keep it around, I just don't think I'd keep it on there unless I was planning specifically on picking up a passenger or toting my duffel. Also... "SWMBO"??

With all of the work recently being done on it, it may be more road worthy quicker than the other XS!?
            T.C.
            That's what I'm hoping! If I can swing it (and he accepts my offer for $1400 cash), then I'm gonna run it by my sister's boyfriend (who rides a Honda, I think) and see if he thinks it sounds ok. Worse comes to worse, I just take it to the Yamaha dealership down the street (oh, they emailed me back and said they'd be happy to look at any older bikes like these) and have them do a once-over.
            Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-07-2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

SWMBO= She Who Must Be Obeyed
              1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
              1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
              1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Originally posted by tomatao
                SWMBO= She Who Must Be Obeyed
                LOL! Got it.

No, my "SWMBO" decided she didn't want me obeying her anymore. It's not final yet, but it will be when I return (permanently) from Korea.

Comment

Hey again Ryan,

Check out this recent Ignition Module thread starting about 1/2 way down on page 2 with Jerry's reply, and then read the rest, you'll learn the differences between the 2 types of advance, and that they are both used on our machines!

The XJ TCI can't be repaired electronically due to proprietary info in the programmed Eproms(timing curves), and can't get that info from YAMAHA, resident Electronics Gurus have stated, they can repair the earlier (78-80) units which just use basic transistors and such! I'm in a similar boat with my 81, it still uses a vacuum advance mechanism, but the Cent. Adv. curve is programmed into the TCI, only made 1 year, hence why I got a spare TCI when I could find one! But there are other options that are discussed in the ign. module thread.

4-1 pipes are not necessarily any quieter than 4-2, just depends on the muffler, it only uses 1 muffler instead of 2, but again, if the PO hasn't drilled out the end of the muffler for a deeper louder tone, then it should be fairly quiet!?

SWMBO has been answered, but there are a bunch of abbrev. in the MISC Forum that you can brush up on!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

So... I'm I understand it right, the box on the XJ allows for better gas mileage at lower speeds?

Also, where does one go abouts locating an extra box? (I might go ahead and start looking in case I am actually able to get this one instead of having it pulled out from under me. I hope he takes my offer...)

Good to know about the muffler. I think I'll ask him!

Comment

where does one go abouts locating an extra
                      Had a concern that I would spend a bunch of time and effort getting an XS running just to have an unobtainium part fail or just hard to get. (that's what originally started me collecting XSes)

Turns out that there not to hard to find.

Can post in the wanted section here, Ebay and creigslist.

After you aquire your first XS/XJ can keep an eye out for a "parts bike"... can be found now and then real cheep...BUT if you do, sometimes they have a mind of there own and are beggin to be ridden, and become another project which leads to looking for more parts and "parts bikes"

Next thing you know you can run out of places to keep em all and still can't ride more than one at a time

mro

Comment

Originally posted by mro
                        where does one go abouts locating an extra
                        Had a concern that I would spend a bunch of time and effort getting an XS running just to have an unobtainium part fail or just hard to get. (that's what originally started me collecting XSes)

Turns out that there not to hard to find.

Can post in the wanted section here, Ebay and creigslist.

After you aquire your first XS/XJ can keep an eye out for a "parts bike"... can be found now and then real cheep...BUT if you do, sometimes they have a mind of there own and are beggin to be ridden, and become another project which leads to looking for more parts and "parts bikes"

Next thing you know you can run out of places to keep em all and still can't ride more than one at a time

mro
                        All good stuff to know. I was doing just what you said you started off doing... already being afraid of not being able to find this part should it fail on me. Glad to know it's not the case.

Ok, got an email back from the ebay seller:
                        Originally sent in a reply email
                        Sorry, I do not have the grab bar. I cannot go any lower in price, but for $1800, I'll include the service manual and parts CD, and I have a couple extra gaskets. I think you will be happy with the cycle, it runs and rides very good. Thanks, Tony. Also, tag and registration are good till april 2008. Thanks.
                        I didn't actually offer $1400 to him, just said I would make a fair offer. Wadda ya think, fellas? Would it be stupid of me to buy this? Sounds like it really doesn't need any work (and I'd be taking leave in March/April which means I wouldn't need to tag/register it), which saves me some time/$$$ while I'm home. If it's in as good condition as he says it's in, with less than 20,000 miles, is it worth it?

As an asside, anyone know where I can find a grab bar for an '82 XJ Maxim 1100? Haha. I like options.
                        Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-08-2008, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Another email reply to a couple of my questions:

Originally sent in a reply email
                          The muffler has not been drilled out, the baffle is intact.The tags are good thru April, but when it sells the new owner will have to get new tags, these do not go with bike. You can probably find a grab bar on ebay. I found the sissy bar on ebay, it was new old stock-never used. I just had to have the pad made. The luggage rack I had laying around and just fit it onto back. Thanks, Tony.
                          So that's a good, practically brand-new sissy bar with pad that he had made. Can't keep the tags, though. That blows. Did anyone else see a luggage rack? Maybe I'm missing it in the pictures...

Comment

The TCI's for the XJ are fairly common on Ebay. If you don't need one, you see them for 40-50 dollar range, but if you need it, somehow the price is always @ $100+ The TCI boxes almost never fail though. The XJ has all electronics on the points and such so there's no moving parts. Even the vaccum advance is electonically sensed. You can find most any part you need still in one place or another.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I haven't been keeping up with this one too much since my earlier rant. From what I have read though you are now looking for another XS/XJ. Has it been asked where you will be returning to when you come back? Craigslist can be an excellent source as well. However it does require a little more search work.
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject
                                I haven't been keeping up with this one too much since my earlier rant. From what I have read though you are now looking for another XS/XJ. Has it been asked where you will be returning to when you come back? Craigslist can be an excellent source as well. However it does require a little more search work.
                                I'll be returning home to wild, wonderful West Virginia!

Comment

Working...
                                X