Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm the new guy... and want this bike. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm the new guy... and want this bike. Help?

So... howdy, first of all. I'm new around these parts and figured you all were the ones to come to with questions about these motorcycles. As it says in my info, I'm currently deployed in South Korea but have a month of leave coming up soon-ish. Problem is, I've got no car waiting on me when I get home. Solution: buy a motorcycle! I found this XS1100 Special on ebay and am very interested in purchasing it. I wanted to ask the experts a few questions before taking the plunge, though.

1.) Is this bike worth the "buy it now" price of $1,250? That is also the seller's reserve price. It's not gonna break my bank to pay that much, but I'm gonna have to pay for a new rear tire and transportation to my home (260 miles) as well.

2.) I've never owned a motorcycle before and am planning on getting my license for it while I'm on leave. I also am going to try and take a safety course while I'm at it. I'm not young and stupid, and am not just looking for thrills. Just something that gets better mileage than a car that will be fun to ride and learn about motorcycles at the same time - all the while with a little class. Question is, is this an ok first bike for me?

3.) I've looked and looked, but can't find the MPG for this style bike. Any answers here?

4.) Anyone know where I can get a downloadable user's manual?

5.) I've got a bad left knee (that may force a medical discharge on me). I can walk and support myself, but use a cane while out and about. Will this effect anything?

6.) Anything else I should know? I'm throwing myself at the mercy of the people here. This is an exciting proposition for me.

Thanks for hearing my questions, and I hope to get a few answers. I've read through several of the older threads, and you all seem like a nice bunch.

-Ryan
    "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Hi Ryan, welcome to the list.

I will give you my best opinion. First off, $1250 is premium price for this bike sight unseen and with the issues the pictures indicate. That does not mean it is not a good deal, however the bike will need some $$ spend on it. Ultimately we are no going to be able to tell if this is a good buy or not. You best option is if somebody on the list local to the bike can check it out of you.

FYI: The right engine cover (alternator cover) is not the stock one for that year of bike. I am sure others will notice some things as well.

How mechanically inclined are you? This bike (and any 30+ year old bike) is going to need work done on it. Not many shops will touch it so you have to be willing to roll your sleeves up and dive in. Check out the tech tips on this site and you will see that these bikes are not without issues.

The XS is not a bad choice for your first bike. But she has some weight to her and a ton of torque. The seat height is on the tall side if you are under 5' 10" (if touching the ground with both feet at a stop is important to you).

The best place to find a manual for some on at your location is eBay. THe Clymer book is most common. make sure it has the '81 addition.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Dennyz,

Thanks for the quick reply! I actually found a link to a pdf version right here on this site! Guess I should have browsed a little more before asking that particular question, huh?

I didn't notice the alternator covering being non-stock. I think I noticed the exhaust isn't stock, though, right? Hopefully if some others can point out some stuff, I might be able to talk him into a lower price if it doesn't sell on ebay w/in the next 6 days.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but am a fast and willing learner and have a brother-in-law, sister's boyfriend, and younger brother that all are and would love to have this around to tinker with.

I'm a hair under 6', and pretty lanky/wiry, so the height issue shouldn't be one. I'm also not weak (in my mind), so the weight you talk about hopefully won't be much of an issue.

Great idea about asking a local on here if they could swing by and check it out! I would never have thought about that. I actually have friends that live in Parkersburg, WV, but neither of them know diddly squat about motorcycles, unfortunately. I'll make a separate post asking for that.
      "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

If the seller is accurate about the description, I'd say it's well worth the BIN price. It looks to be in great shape! I spent well over that getting mine restored and running, and it still needs more to look that nice.

These bikes are fairly heavy. 600+ lbs. It definately something to consider with your knee. The reality is though that many cruiser type bikes weigh the same if not more. Depending on how flexible your knee is, you'd probably end up wanting to put forward pegs on it at the least to give you multiple riding positions for the leg. Motorcycling in general is pretty hard on the legs and knees (at least on mine) but I found you get used to it after a while.

Being new to riding I daresay you'll be spending a lot of time learning to balance. These are pretty tall too. I am 5' 10" and can barely get my feet flat on both sides. You'll spend a lot of time balancing on one leg.

Compared to most cruisers (and even quite a few crotch rockets), these bikes are FAST. Most Harley's and such will eat your dust. This was also the first motorcycle I owned, and it was a little intimidating at first. Having so much power at your disposal teaches you a healthy respect for the machine very quickly.

Taking the riding course is a very good idea, regardless of what bike you get. You learn so much that can save your arse later.

Overall, these bikes are a real joy to own, but I may be a bit biased. There's a great community of people here that could help you with it in case it does break down as well.

Thanks for your service!
        80 XS1100SG
        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I should say too that original exhausts are the stuff of dreams and legends...they are very rare anymore. New sets of pipes have sold for more than the BIN price of that bike.

Aftermarket pipes (while not as good) are the only option for replacement.
          80 XS1100SG
          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Ok, Well I'm no expert. BUT......

Black paint on jugs and valve cover are not factory.....chipping, and absent on the head, poorly done.

Also take a good look at the dash...that speedo has been replaced.....

And If I'm not mistaking the tank has been filled and painted...looks good, but no emblems

I can see that you'll probably find the right front brake dragging or mis-aligned....look at the rotor you can see a pattern

All in all, a good looking bike, but issues,

ANYONE here will tell you that the XS is a great ride....

And, it's worth what someone will by it for, to them!

if you decide to buy it, youll love the XS
            1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
            "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
            My Photo Bucket

Comment

I looked at the pictures...posted...then went back and read the ad
              after all a picture is worth a thousand words

also noted the final drive paint

Now, for E-BAY.....many of us here have had some problems with the sellers on E-Bay....not that I'm saying anything about this E-Bay Seller, but a rating over 500, pretty good
              still he's got a lotta bikes.....I could speak volumes about that, but I won't,

Just be careful in whatever you decide
              1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
              "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
              My Photo Bucket

Comment

About the paint on the engine and final drive...That is correct for an 81 SH. My wife rides one.
                The speedo is from a 79 750 Special...There is one on my wifes' bike also. The OEM speedo was 85 mph.

Comment

Honestly I would not recommend this bike for a first timer with a jacked up knee. You will more than likely get off balance at stop lights or moving it around the driveway or whatever and these bikes are tall and heavy. Not a good scenerio for a bum knee. The mileage is not exactly steller on them either. Somewhere between 30 and 40 usually. But that's not to bad. And the last neg I can think of is they are old. Any old bike is gonna need TLC. For a first bike I'd rather be riding then spending a lot of time repairing.

Your budget sound low so it's hard to recommend a whole lot. If you can swing 3 grand or there abouts a bike like the Suzuki SV650 would be great. Not as fast but less expensive is the ninja 500. The ninja 650r is really nice also but haven't been around as long so it might be hard to find a cheap one. These bikes are light and narrow. Easy to handle, relatively fast, and get great gas mileage. They are easy on parts and you can get one that is only say 5 to 10 years old instead of 25+. And as long as you don't listen to any friends riding things like BUSAs you don't really outgrow them.

I'm not saying the XS1100 is not the greatest bike ever made and my favorite to ride. I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend it as a first bike for someone that has any knee issues whatsoever.
                  79 XS11 special

Comment

First of all, I would recommend this bike for a beginner. I had a smaller bike, though not much ('82 XJ650) for my first bike. I didn't do a terrible lot of riding on it, either. I was scared as hell the first time I rode my 11. However, the first thing I noticed was how solid and stable it felt in comparison. Sure, it has a lot of torque. I say if you're not ready for that, use your brain and don't dump the throttle your first day out.

Second, for the security of not losing during bidding and the immense quality of the eleven, it is worth every bit of twelve hundred. If it wasn't, we all wouldn't repeatedly dump 2, 3, and 4 times that much into them. Maybe it is the nasty influenza that has me freezing and running to the bathroom every 10 min, but I am getting kind of tired of folks undervaluing these bikes because KBB says otherwise, or like me they got thier bike for free. We as a group are most likely the majority owners of these bikes and if WE don't start believing and advising others that they ARE, they never will be. Sorry for the rant, but this has been bothering me for a while.
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey Ryan,

Several folks have gotten this bike as their first and have survived the process, but with as you have smartly decided, the use of the MSF course. If you can walk on that left knee, then you should be able to handle the bike. Most folks usually use their left foot to support the bike when they come to a stop cause they are using their right foot for the rear brake, along with the right hand for the front brakes. However, it wouldn't be much of a problem to use your right foot/leg instead, cause once you come close to stopping, you can complete the stop with just the front brake to allow you to put your right foot down!

It's not really that heavy when it's balanced, it's only if it leans too far and starts to fall over, then in your situation it would probably be better to let it fall, and then pick it back up...possibly with assistance, than to try to stop it and possibly wrench your knee or other parts!

Now, on to the bike. Yep, the right ALT cover was replaced, perhaps due to a fall/slide, or the charging system not working right and replaced the components!? The right pair of pipes are a bit more blue, possibly a bit too rich on that bank of carbs!? The rubber is missing on the right main foot rest, perhaps lost when it fell/slid on the right side damaging the right ALT cover?? The mileage is definitely in question, so it would be nice to see if the seller would perform a compression check!?

The choke lever handle is bent at a 90 degree angle from where it should be. The rear turn signals have been remounted to allow the saddlebags. It looks like there is a crease in the left headlight mounting EAR,might have taken a fall, got bent?? There is damage to the bottom of the pilot box/idiot light between gauges, and the main ignition switch key lock looks like it was jimmied/pried! The vacuum advance hose coming out from the left engine case is routed down around the case instead of up to the carbs!? The right rear brake lever looks positioned abnormally high, perhaps to clear the right side pipes, but those are MAC 4-2 turn outs, and they should fit??

There are a few hints of rust: End of front axle, washers on gauge mounting plate, various bolts on timing plate, middle gear, as well as the battery securing bracket sticking out below the left side cover, the right brake master cylinder, end of right handlebar grip. The head appears to have been pressure washed, hence the paint blown off of the fins on the jugs, the 81SH came stock with jugs painted black along with valve cover. You can see evidence of the residual oil just below the right valve cover area where the half moon seals would have leaked down onto the head. It has the OEM rear shocks, they may or may not perform adequately?? It is nice and shiney, almost looks like it was dipped in Armorall?? Has oem brake lines.

In the MISC forum, you'll find a thread about what to look for in a neglected XS11, so you'll know what you'll most likely need to put into it to get it truly road worthy! I question the TUNEUP/Carb cleaning because of the misplaced vacuum advance hose?

Stoked, this fellow(Ryan) has some age on him, and seems to be looking for a more classic styled and upright riding position vs. the hunch back on your arms crotch rocket style, hence his desire for the XS11 vs. a 600 crochet!
                      Good Luck! T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks you guys! You've been a lot of help so far with encouraging my decision. I wish I knew what all the technical stuff you were talking about meant, but I guess that'll come in time, huh? Like I said, I'm not the most technically-minded person (when it comes to vehicles), but I'm willing/able to learn, and actually excited to pick up on stuff like this.

I appreciate the concern for my knee, as well. Forward pegs sound like a good idea as sitting with my knee in one position for too long makes it stiffen up and start hurting.
                        Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                        Stoked, this fellow(Ryan) has some age on him, and seems to be looking for a more classic styled and upright riding position vs. the hunch back on your arms crotch rocket style, hence his desire for the XS11 vs. a 600 crochet!
                        Good Luck! T.C.
                        I don't want to mislead anyone here. I'm only 26 (27 in June), but I get accused of being older all the time. Guess it was how I was raised... in the wrong century! haha. I am looking for something more classic styled and upright, TopCat, you're right. I think I've gathered that these are pretty comfortable rides and not too terribly loud (not my thing).

I've got a gun dealer buddy who rides (a Harley) back home, so I may ship the bike to him and ask him to check it out for me and fix whatever will get it up and running well before I come home. I hope I get a hit on that Parkersburg request thread I put out...
                        Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-05-2008, 11:19 PM.

Comment

P.S. I don't suppose you guys would know a creative way of putting an attachment or something on there that could hold my cane, would you? Please don't take this as a joke. I don't have (nor care to have) a folding cane, so I need to be able to carry a full-length one (about 36-37").

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58

Good Luck! T.C.
                            lol, I actually wouldn't recommend a crotch rocket to anyone. The SV650, ninja 650r, and the 500 are all upright sitting standard type bikes. They are not Super Sports. There's also the nighthawk and the zzr600s as well as the newer(but much more expensive) suzi SV1000, Kawi Z750 and Z1000, Yami FZ1 and prob some other much lighter easier to hold up, upright riding bikes.

I just would just be slightly concerned with a bike as tall as as heavy with a person that uses a cane to walk. Can you imagine being at a busy intersection when a big gust of wind hits from the right side and the bike leans just enough to start going over. The knee goes to support it then the sharp pain hits and it goes limp and down goes the bike at the intersection with traffic everywhere. I'm just being paranoid. I got no problem with it as a beginner bike. I'm sure Gunslinger knows what his knee can handle.
                            79 XS11 special

Comment

Well, others have said it all alredy.
                              I would check the front axle nut... seems on the wrong side and the axle should come out a bit more. But then again, i have two standards with different forks than those on special.

Other than that... engine looks a bit too clean and since instrument cluster was replaced I would check the frame - if its straight.

XS as a first bike... why not. But treat it with respect and know your dis/abilities. It is definetly not a learners bike, but do an MSF course and you should be fine.

If you plan just to ride it... do it. If you plan to make it picture perfect... well.. it will take some $$$.

The exhaust is not stock and it is loud. Had similar one on a small guzzi... sounded like a ww2 bomber

Good luck!
                              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
                              X