Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm the new guy... and want this bike. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the world of XSive-ness. You will love it. One the USAA subject, the only thing I don't like is that they don't offer roadside for their motorcylce insurance. But at 1/2 to 1/3 or more less money, oh well.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

mother says it's an awesome bike
      my mom's boyfriend is going to take it for a spin
      I'm soooo stoked to go home now! Only about two months to go!

OK...may not be nice to poke fun at a GI over seas but...
      (no one here ever has acussed me of being nice )
      After reading your post, above three lines kind'a stood out.
      Will we be reading any post from Mom in the "ride reports" section? Any rallies in next month or so?

mro
      might need to get another XS

Comment

Originally posted by mro

OK...may not be nice to poke fun at a GI over seas but...
        (no one here ever has acussed me of being nice )
        After reading your post, above three lines kind'a stood out.
        Will we be reading any post from Mom in the "ride reports" section? Any rallies in next month or so?

mro
        might need to get another XS
        Haha, we sure better not! I told them I know exactly how many miles my bike has on it, and that I'd compare the numbers when I got home. lol
        "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

On the cost of insurance, I got mine from Markel for $89.00 a year and that includes roadside.

Louis
          "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
          brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
          '82 XJ1100J
          LED Dir and running lights
          LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
          Modulated H/L
          PIAA Driving lights
          YICS Eliminated
          750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Cost of Insurance will depend on many things.
            Where you live.
            deduction.
            and so on.
            My ins cost me $112.00 a year. Also have several policies with the same co.,,... American Family..... Reason the annual amout is as high as it is, compaired to other policies, Is I have enough insurance to cover just about any mishap that should happen.
            As with any insurance policy,, You want to have enough insurance if you should need it.
            I might save $25.00 a year on my policy with a different company, but,, Is my policy going to cover the cost of funural, XStensive hospital stays, Permanent injury, Inability to ever work again.
            Just a few things to look into.
            We all know that a wreak will never happen to us, But What if???
            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
            1-big XS patch
            1-small XS/XJ patch
            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

So you bought an XJ1100?

Hi Gunslinger,
              just happened onto this thread on it's 5th page and it appears you bought an XJ1100? As a first bike? Gawdelpus, you are liable to kill yourself if you ain't careful.
              Very careful. Any of the Yamaha 1100s are overpowered widowmakers, compared to a modern bike the handling can best be described as mediocre and the brakes as barely adequate. Good points? They'll run forever and they are easy to fix.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Re: So you bought an XJ1100?

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Hi Gunslinger,
                just happened onto this thread on it's 5th page and it appears you bought an XJ1100? As a first bike? Gawdelpus, you are liable to kill yourself if you ain't careful.
                Very careful. Any of the Yamaha 1100s are overpowered widowmakers, compared to a modern bike the handling can best be described as mediocre and the brakes as barely adequate. Good points? They'll run forever and they are easy to fix.
                Yeah, it's my first bike, and I have gotten more than a few friendly warnings about its capabilities. That's why (other than the obvious reasons) I am taking the MSF course before even taking it for a spin around my mom's rural neighborhood. I'm not looking for speed or quick-starts (just yet). I just wanted something I know is reliable and that I can grow into. Thanks for the concern though!
                "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

Ok, I finally got my family to take some pics of it. Here you go!

I've asked them to take a few more in the daylight and to sit someone on it so I can get a good size reference. Let me know what you think!

Comment

I think you got a good deal.
                    Looks nice.
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Nice looking XJ. As far as warnings go, the thing to remember is just cause there is all that a%% under your right wrist doesn't mean you have to be one and use it when you are not ready. Enjoy the ride!!
                      wingnut
                      81 SH (Daily Ride)
                      81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                      81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                      82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Nice lookin bike..
                        Now get yourself a repair manual... and a set of metric tools..
                        You'll want to learn how to maint. the bike yourself unless you know someone and trust them to wrench on your ride. Not saying you'll be doing alot of wrenching,, BUT,, These bikes are older then alot of shop mechanics and there's no computer plug in to tell the " Mechanic " were, or, how to fix something should it need fixing..
                        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                        1-big XS patch
                        1-small XS/XJ patch
                        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments, fellas! I'm super excitedly waiting till I can get home and try her out.

Originally posted by Czekus21
                          Nice lookin bike..
                          Now get yourself a repair manual... and a set of metric tools..
                          You'll want to learn how to maint. the bike yourself unless you know someone and trust them to wrench on your ride. Not saying you'll be doing alot of wrenching,, BUT,, These bikes are older then alot of shop mechanics and there's no computer plug in to tell the " Mechanic " were, or, how to fix something should it need fixing..
                          I've got the Owner's Manual, Service Manual, and Parts Manual - all for the XJ1100 - in pdf format. Tried bidding on an actual paper service manual on ebay but lost the bidding.

I've got every intention of learning how to take care of this bike myself, but I don't want to buy a set of tools until I've actually got a place of my own to store them.

Comment

Most maintenance acomplished with half a dozen tools which should be in the bikes tool box. Exception are a few specilty tools only needed once in a while.

mro
                            BTW, bike looks "clean" and well kept.
                            How'd the test run go?

Comment

"acomplished with half a dozen tools which should be in the bikes tool box"

Yeah, right.
                              the tools in the kit are mostly too frail, short & flimsy to do the jobs they are meant for.
                              What they will do is provide a guide to the size & type of the longer stronger tools you need to go and buy to do the work.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Bike looks like it's in great shape! Much better than what I started with. Welcome to the XS/XJ community!

P.S. Thanks for serving our country!
                                1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
                                dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
                                MikesXs 35k Coils
                                8mm plug wires
                                42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
                                (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
                                Kerker 4-into-1
                                Shaved emblems
                                Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
                                Progressive 11.5" rear shocks