No announcement yet.

Valve shim library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I am new but, used shims are not the same thicness as new due to use and all books say to discard? Am I wrong? Should we keep used shims?
    If they came out of a good engine then you won't find any wear. If the engine is bad from oil loss the shims may have taken a beating but even then I would check them because they may be good.
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

• I agree, keep them. All I have used in any of the three or four I've done is used shims. As long as the number is ledgible, it should work fine. Besides, your going to remeasure the gap, if the shim is worn the gap will be off and you can try another shim, either up a size or another of that size. My $.025 anyway.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

• measure them

There are some differences even in the marked new ones. I have found a 272 and a 269 that were both marked 270. Not an issue but if you have enough variance you can get your clearances closer to nominal. IF THE FACES ARE SMOOTH THEY ARE GOOD. Rule of thumb - measure when in doubt . A metric micrometer will pay for itself. JMO
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

• The odd sizes you're finding would sometimes come in new bikes but were not available for sale. Shims wear a little but it's not a problem so long as you can't catch your fingernail on any scratches that might be in one.

I've been looking around for shims to build my own collection and the Ford SHO shims are now going for $10 to $15 a pop. New shims from K&L supply are the best bet but it's been years since I saw what they were going for.

A local shop lets me order off his K&L account at his cost and I was going to buy some new ones pretty soon... If any one else wanted to get in on the deal, I could broker a group buy...

Tony
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
          X