No announcement yet.

Revving while driving?Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to say that I would be a 1.5, if that option was available. I love to get into the rich powerband, but where I live, there's never enough clear road. I haven't had the chance to twist it up since completing The Big Bore Project. The main reason I had to do the BBP was the fact that I missed a 3-4 shift@85 mph, and the tach needle bounced of the low fuel light. If it had been marked on the tach, it would be around 12k rpms. I heard a strange, new ticking sound after that, and it just kept getting louder. For the most part, I shift around 4k, and most of my riding is limited to going to work and back. That would be 70- 80 mph. That's at 5:30 am! About 55-6000 rpm and we all know that life begins at 7 grand

Comment

Two anna half
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I am definately a two and never over red line. I probably baby them a little more than I should.

Ralph Meeks
        Ralph Meeks
        79F
        80SG

Comment

I'd say between 1 & 2. I'm still getting used to the bike since I just got it on the road last week. I've had it up close to the redline a couple of times but at my age I have a little trouble holding on & keeping up with the shifts. There is the fear of damage factor too, both to me & the bike!
          Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
          2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

I'm usually on the throttle hard up to speed but lately I'm trying to get better mileage out of it and I'm doing a lot of putting around. If the change isn't worth it, I'll be back on the throttle.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I guess back when I rode my bike back and forth to work and such.It mainly depended on what kind of mood I was in at the time.I always liked to wind the engine up until I got into high gear and then would get lazy and leave it there most of the time.Overall I would say a 2 unless something happens and I have to show somebody the error of their ways.
              Bill Harvell

Comment

Generally a 2, with modifications to the posted speed limit. Also, a three when I'm feeling rich (gas gets sucked down pretty quick that way) and when I have to show another biker who really owns the road. he he My buddy pulled up along side me the other day at a stoplight, on his '78 Honda CB 550 K. I don't know what he was thinking, but he wanted a little race. In the end it wasn't much of a race, I brought it close to red in 1, held it there for a few to let him catch up, put her in 2nd, opened her wide, and he actually asked me the following week when he cought up to me "Why is your bike so fast??" . Man do I love my '80 SG.
                Nothing like a ride on a straight 4.

Or toying with death on my 1983 Maico 490 Spider. Only fractured 3 bones so far.

Comment

I am probably somewhere between 1 and 2 althopugh I never get the rpms that high, I do wind it out but don't abuse it!

Comment

I am a 3, I have this bike for a couple reasons, but a big one is to have fun on it. I'd rather the bike die because I *might* have abused it a little bit (no clutch abuse or anything, just high rpms) than from carbon deposits or sitting around for too long. But I do change the oil *religiously*
                    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I guess it would help if i got rid of the hesitation at 5K so it could get to redlinle.. but it works fine at freeway speeds here...

still tuning and finding the problems..
                      jeff "Wags"
                      Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                      79sf rusty
                      79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

I spent a fair amount of time & money putting this poor neglected beast back on the road. I do occasionally run up the revs, but not usually higher than 7500. I love my machine & I sure as hell don't want to tear it up. I mean, if I wanted something to ride REALLY Fast, I would have bought a sport bike. with as much power (sometimes more), and little more than half the weight, it seems a no brainer. I do like to get on it now and again, but usually I ride it pretty easy. have a nice day and ride safe.
                        I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I would guess that I would have to rate myself at about a 2.35. I put on about 15000 a year, mostly cruisin' but also riding to work and back and forth to work and I don't want to stress her too bad. Then some abung with a crotch rocket will come along and flip off the old fart as he goes past and my younger side will come out and I gotta show them what the original cruise missle will do. My wife figures that if I live to be 80 I will still be on the dragon and maybe I will have slowed down some, don't you believe it! Don't think I have ever hit the red line yet but on the dragon you don't need it. I will tell ya that with the fairing on her at just under 140 the front end becomes too light to carry on at that speed, don't know what the tach says at that point, I am too busy watching the road.

Tamer.
                          The Old Tamer
                          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

I am a 2 but when in a pack we seem to become a 3.....
                            always a joy to ride...
                            82 XJ1100 Maxim
                            80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
                            Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
                            black on black

Comment

the problem is when i ride as see another bike in front i, for some reason want to ketchup, and if they are behind; for some reason i want to speed up,and start spittin lanes.

my feelings are that these machines were overbuilt, of course i have limit experience with it , so thats arguable."they don't make em like they used to" comes to mind.

eveytime i work on the bike and thank goodness, most of it is done for now, my tactile experience is while i have in my hand something that is 27 plus years old, you can just feel and see the quality, my hunch is this echos throughtout the bike.

getting it to redline mostly serves me no real purpose, as i feel i can get the job done from 3500 to 7500rpms, i get higher when i test my tune ups, and when i need to rush on an on ramp.

so my motivation not to over rev is not for fear of wear or abuse but, of brevity and succinctness of action for the job at hand.
                              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                              History
                              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                              79 yamaha xs1100f
                              03 honda cbr 600 f4
                              91 yamaha fzr 600
                              84 yamaha fj 1100
                              82 yamaha seca 750
                              87 yamaha fazer
                              86 yamaha maxim x
                              82 yamaha vision
                              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I stay in the torque band 5500 6500 most of the time, I find anything over 7K is diminishing returns, if I go higher its because I accidentaly missed a shift.

I prefer crusing in 4th at 60 -> 65 mph

In 5th gear I'm at about say ... 4800 RPM at 70 mph

I didn't realise we could beat on these so hard, people really wind these out sustained past 8500 often?

I figure red means bad?
                                XJ 1100
                                XJ 550

Comment

Working...
                                X