No announcement yet.

Revving while driving?Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, depends ... If the wife is along I'm a 1 cuz any twist into the 2's sends her flailing against the wife bar causing massive front wheel rise. By myself, 2 but if they ever raise the local speed limits I could easily become a 3.
    Ron Evans
    79 xs11sf
    99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Comment

I Guess I'm a 2-3 a little more 1 now than I used to be! Hey if you want to do a nice smokey burnout and come out of the hole really fast you can (Now mind you I haven't done this for a while)keep her straight, stand with your weight off the seat hold her at 6,000 rpm and dump the clutch as you do sit back down on the seat and hold on. You will do a lengthened "S", if you will, and when you get to the top of the "S" (which doesn't take but a second or two) hit second for a low wheelie and go like hell, but that's up to you isn't it?

Mooseman
      79 SF

Comment

3 i drive like i theived it
        as ever bill

3 xs
        3 fz
        bill hane

Comment

I must admit I drive as a 2 most of my commute, but then that one mile stretch with nothing in the way, and I NEED to be sure it will still run triple digit speeds.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Totally a mood thing with me, although I can't think of a good reason to own an XS and ride like #1. I vary between 2 and 3, but don't see much reason to over-rev very often when I can hit 90MPH in third gear with the 80G. Nothing wrong with riding hard, but little is gained by abusing the equipment. My XS is the perfect ride for me because I can grab a handful and it is very predictable. If I had a V-Max I'd have killed myself a long time ago because I would have been thinking with my right wrist rather than my old helmet stuffer.
            80 G "The Beast"
            81 H "The Dresser"
            79 XS650 II
            82 650 Maxim
            70 DT-1 Enduro
            66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
            96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

In my younger and stupider days (is stupider a word?) I once revved it to red line and held for a bit. Reason was, I was a at ride where they were doing a bike blow up. They had a pair of vice grips on the bike to hold the throttle wide open or so they said. It didn't sound like it was all the open to me, soooooooo having a had a few cold ones already, I turned to my friend and said "dish ish what a bike shounds like wide open !!"

BTW no damage done (to everyone's amazement.)

Now older so I choose door number 2.
              Ernie
              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Wow, This is an old post...

I'd have to say I'm a 2 - 3 range. I rev it more than just on ramps but not everywhere.
                Prescott

79' XS1100 SF

Other hobbie:
                77 Blazer / rock crawler

Comment

I've only hit redline once on my 80 SG, coming out of second going into third was at 55 mph. I usually shift between 5 and 7 grand but i lay into her and get there asap. Like everyone's been saying I love the way she pulls and gets to speed.
                  1980 XS11SG
                  Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                  Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                  ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

I'm still learning how she and I can get along best. I'm still practicing shift techniques. Works best for me to put a little pressure on the shift lever, and reach about 5500, put in the clutch, and next I'm not sure what comes next. Shift into gear (with a clunk), and let go the throttle momentarily, then back on it. I try to treat her right and not do "speed shifts", but it's fast. How's that go with you all? Anything above 7 grand scares me, like I might be taking advantage of her. Heh heh. O'well. We've reached a happy medium: If I punish her, she scares the crap out of me (I've yet to hit full throttle in 1st or 2nd).
                    Geno

Comment

Working...
                    X