Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revving while driving?Poll

Hey there group/forum,

After reading many posts from folks about how they ride/drive their bikes, it got me to wondering how hard do folks ride their bikes? So, I've created a simple poll to look into this subject. Not sure exactly how this process is going to go, so I'm including the question/criteria in this message as well, although I think I'll be given a chance to do so in the Create Poll portion of this message once I submit it.

When riding, how often do you rev the engine to Redline or above-8.5 krpm?

1) Never: it's a cruiser, not a crotch rocket/don't want to damage it!
    2) Just occasionally, like getting on the highway onramps or passing.
    3) Every chance I get, in every gear till I reach Cruising RPM.

I left off the 4th choice, like "My bike won't rev that high, needs carb/timing advance/cam chain adjustment/cleaning!!
    Never: It's a cruiser, not a crotch rocket! Don't want to hurt it!
    28.37%
    Only Occasionally: Like passing or accessing highway on ramp.
    58.87%
    Every Chance I get, in every gear till I reach Cruising rpm.
    12.77%
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Run 'em hard but don't abuse them. They love it, it is what they were built for.

I chose (2), although you could choose (3) without hurting your bike, but my driving style is aggressive when appropriate, but not always . . . so (3) is not for me based on my traffic pattern.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I haven't done the 8500+ yet but I probably will if my upshifts don't get better. These tansmissions are really clunky. I thought my XS650 was bad until I bought my XS11. But other than the tranny and the handle bars, it's really a sweet, solid and strong machine.
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

I'm a 2 and a 3, depends on traffic, likelihood of LEOs, and mood
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I am usually a 2, but I can be a 3 when conditions permit it. I don't ever plan on selling my bike so overall I would call myself a 2.

Comment

I mostly hit in the two range, tho somedays its a 3 all the way,,depends on the road and the mood and other participants,,hehe,,,I have seen my front end rise off the road out of the toll booths,with no local constabulary giving chase,,,so far,these bikes can pull really well.,,But mostly a cruiser. Once in a great while a 1 comes out of me,,,,but not for long !!!
            Ken Krieger
            Chesterfield, Va.
            81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
            82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
            82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
            79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
            1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
            85 XJ700 Maxim
            06 VMax - Black Max
            85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

hmmm... I don't wanna hurt the bike, so onramps and passing other stuff is in mid-high range, but I usually rev the **** out of bikes on an open stretch of road a few times a year, just so I see everything is OK and top speed hasn't fallen to a pathetic level. I find out if the bike is OK that way...
              hmmmm... I wonder why kawasaki's rod bearing went while doing 110 in 5th.

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I am a 3 as often as I can. I just like the PULL that these things have. Around home I am a 1 'cause Santa doesn't want to put out a bad image...Ho, Ho, Ho.

But mostly I am a 2.
                Santa Jim
                79 XS11SF
                79 GL100
                83 GL1100 I

Comment

I a normally a 2 when I run alone but when I run in a pack we tend to get into the 3's
                  Tom
                  2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                  gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Hey Guys,

This was a no brainer for me, I'm am a definate "3". Although there are times when an aggressive "2" is more appropriate, traffic dictates the mood.

I must admit, I do like to feel the beast pull. The only thing is be sure fitted when shifting. It is very frustrating to miss a shift on hard acceleration (it can't be good for the machinery either). I guess thats a draw back when dealing with 23 year old technology.

And the quest for quickness and a little better handling continue. YO-HO-HO !!! And away we go ... fast

Y'all Be Cool
                    The wisest men started out as fools and gained wisdom by surviving stupidity.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

hello to all.
                      i'm usually a 1. but do some 2's. sometimes feel the need for speed so there are some 3's. these bikes are total brutes.

80sg
                      when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                      80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

I love to ride, I love to speed, my pocketbook keeps me mostly in the 2 range (don't want to chance doing any damage) I also feel bad about running my 25 yr old bike to fast, as it is running so good, and don't want to chance having to send it to the boneyard, due to lack of parts availability. Later 'Dog

Comment

three for me

I have to say i'm a three whenever possible.But just from the laws of physics (Or the police) I have to be content being a two. Gotta love being american at least we have the option of being a 1-2-3.
                          1982 XJ 1100
                          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I would consider myself a 2+. I love to rev this engine, it pulls hard and sounds sooooo sweet when she's wound out. I don't pull red line all the time but I do keep her wound up a lot! Just right for these twisties in Maine
                            Tracker

80 XS1100LG "Black Widow"

Comment

rev

Hi guys
                              I would have to say Im a 2,I try to handle the bike and drioperate it as precise as possible, thats the fun. but most definitely a 3 some days. I dont hammer to the red line often, at least not from a stand still. I baby 2nd gear cause you have to work the throttle and shifter to get it to slide quietly in. Preservation of the parts.As for the 3 part of me , the time and the place must be right. im a rolling 3.I like rodding, on the throttle off the throttle. Coming over the hill looking down the country highway , I can see for acouple miles ahead or a stretch thats 3/4 of a mile long.Lots of green and the bluish sky. Perfect running temperature.machine hummin beneath me as if its alive.. Gorgeous day, Im the captain.the way is clear,Hmm pavement and plenty of pony at my throttle hand.i own an XS, Im a special dog.
                              I scan,size up whats ahead.I ask myself- "light speed captain?" pause...
                              "Make it so".
                              Steve ( i know; im a living cartoon.)

Comment

Working...
                              X