Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My other other bike is an xs11 too!

Comment

Hi as of today i have a thumper a XT500, a KLR600 1984 vintage,72 F11 kawi 250 scrambles bike,79 XL250, 2 1980 XS1100 MS.and teh fast Bike a 06 honda CBR1000RR. we also have a Yamaha warrior Quad. a Fully caged VW buggy and an Off rd buggy i built for my Kids.
      John
      79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
      80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
      06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
      2000 Concours
      84 Kawi KLR600
      79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
      79 XR250
      Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
      John

Comment

If all goes to plan Im picking it up next week...

Prolly one of the XS-es will have to go tho to make some space in the garage.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

When I was 20 years old I used to go to the HD dealer here and walk around this bike, at least once a week. It was the bike of my dreams... then. But I got a dirt bike instead (probably a better decission... then).

I picked this one up last week. As ugly as it looks, it started up just fine and ran real good. The charging system works and it has a title. The previous owner needed a thousand bucks and I just happen to have that much money. So it came home with me.

Sorry folks, the bike of my boyhood dreams was not an XS 1100, it was an XLX 1000= we can't all be perfect. But hey, good news, no XS11's will have to leave my garage to make room for it.

Comment

The air filter cover looks too nice. Bash it in a bit and the bike is perfect. I wouldnt change/fix a thing... cosmetically that is. I love it!

OK, picked up the cali.
            Registered it today.
            Went for a short ride... first impressions are...
            BLOODY HELL
            DAMN!
            F***

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

You guys with specials.... try to get one for a test ride.
            Ride it for more than 5 miles.
            Trade in your special for a standard and get one of these

It pulls bout the same as the XS - dare I say - maybe even a bit better.
            WTF-lot of torque down low... from bout 1500 rpm, arm wrenching at 2500, didnt care bout the rest of the rev range coz I was grinning so much haha....
            I did see the needle near the redline somewhere in between the ride tho...
            5th gear, 3200 rpm or so, 60mph
            4th gear, 4000 rpm or so, 60 mph (same as XS 5th)

Feels a lot lighter than the XS, breaks are eyepopping (same as duc 916 methinks - 4 piston brembo oro series front, 2 piston rear, front lever operates one front disc, foot operates other one and rear proportionately - sensor on swingarm so depending on current bike load-position it balances the breaking power).
            Headlight enables you to actually illuminate stuff in front of you!!!
            Seat... well... I have to get used to it a bit. Too early for a verdict.
            Riding position.... cruising style. Far from the hoodlum XS11 standard I have. Discurages high speed stuff without the windscreen (it was ugly so I tore it off)
            Handling.... feels more secure than the XS alltho maybe not as precise... but then again... I have to get used to it.
            Floorboards and heel-toe shifter... have to get used to it.

Im getting more looks from the passers-by than on the XS.

I got to the tech inspection (needed for registration)... and the guy said... look, a guzzi guy! And they swarmed the bike. Then he asked: Do you still have the Yamaha?

So yeah... ride a guzzi if you get the chance. If its the first time on one, you will hate it. When you come back you will still hate it. When you get off you will think about that ride for at least a week And yes, you will have that stupid grin on your face.
            I still do
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Guzzis are a great ride...that engine is basically the same engine as the original 700 from back in the late 60s..just slowly updated..

Dead reliable, easy to work on...and the 4valve Centauros and Daytonas are fast as hell.

The only bike I know of other than BMW that's probably even more durable than an XS11... 100,000 miles means nothing to a Guzzi.
              Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Guzzi

I had a brand new Guzzi back in 78 it was a fun ride everyone else was riding the 750 Hondas i had a few of them to, but the Guzzi was 1000CCs and weighed less it had the classic style it was red and Gold and where ever it went. Especialy teh sound of the Engine its a sound by its own just like the XS1100 does> ive been looking at a Guzzi Ca Special i rode a freins and loved it we shall see.Ive had a few old Ducatis they are Fun but after 25 miles my butt went numb. my CBR 1000RR is fun its strictly for going fast and making the kids wonder how that old man left us like a rock in the canyons
                John
                79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                2000 Concours
                84 Kawi KLR600
                79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                79 XR250
                Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                John

Comment

" - - Dead reliable, easy to work on..."

Yeah, right. Ever tried to work on the clutch? The thing they put on a stand & build the bike around?
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

True, clutch is a pain, as is the tranny if anything goes wrong. But then again, it's an automotive style dry clutch, and on my Guzzi's I never had any clutch trouble, though I have heard others say to stay away from aftermarket plates.

What other bikes can you bring up a stool, sit down and adjust the valves in 15 min?

Adjust the throttle linkage on the later fuel injected ones in 10 min, or pull the carbs as easily?

A change of the entire exhaust system took about 1/2 hour.

There are design flaws, and/or compromises in every bike design, and the Guzzi has faults like any bike, early Guzzis also had poor electrical systems (some called italian electrics the illegitimate spawn of Lucas-Prince of Darkness)...but most of the parts you work on most often were right there in easy reach.
                    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Progress on one of my OTHER bikes= it's closer to being finished but it's real fun to ride right now too.

Comment

Wow, old thread but I'll bite.

Here is the bike I actually wanted and bought a few years back. Rode it a few weeks but really its a project to restore so it sat a few more years until this summer. I picked it up with a boom on the back of my tractor and inserted it into my house (mobile home, not ground level). I was just tearing into it when my buddy came buy and said "hey I still have that other old bike in my yard if ya want it, cause otherwise Its scrap". And if anything I could sell it for parts and use the money for my honda.

Well I cant just junk something without checking into it first.. and so lives my XS..

Heres my other one though..

1971 CB750

Here it is now.

XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                        Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Hey Clark, that bike looks to be all there(except for the tall handlebars), a little rusty but complete. So what's your plans with it, chopper, bobber, cafe racer or return it to it's original beauty? That last option might be a little expensive, but could be worth it.

Comment

I've crossed over to the dark side.
                            http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/images/TonyGL.JPG

I'm not getting rid of my XS11 but the Wing is going to be our 2 up bike and I'll ride the XS11 solo.

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Hi Tony,
                              at least your 'wing is an early enough model that one can see that it's a motorcycle.
                              A later 'wing would have to be viewed from the front to be sure it only has one track and that it ain't tagged "Winnebago".
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                                Hi Tony,
                                at least your 'wing is an early enough model that one can see that it's a motorcycle.
                                A later 'wing would have to be viewed from the front to be sure it only has one track and that it ain't tagged "Winnebago".
                                I don't consider the 6 cylinder wings to be bikes, they're 2 wheeled motorhomes.

Tony
                                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X