No announcement yet.

other rides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My other bike is a 82 GPZ 550. Not nearly as comfortable as the XS but a blast to ride. Plus it gets over 50 mpg. So I try to ride it to work as much as possible the 60 miles round trip.

The narrowness and quick steering of the GPZ is amazing. If I ever run into some money I want a bike with the power of the XS and the agility of the GPZ. I still haven't quite figured out what that bike is since there's no place to just go test drive various bikes. I'm thinking some of the V-twin standards like the SV650 and SV1000 may fit the bill due to their narrow engine and good torque. But that's a ways off.
    79 XS11 special

Comment

Aside from my '82 MadMax XJ1100...My other bike is a '95 Honda ST1100.
      Previously owned;
      '78 Yamaha XS400
      '80 Yamaha XS1100
      '82 Yamaha Maxim XJ750
      '86 Yamaha FJ1200
      '91 Yamaha FJ1200
      '84 Kawasaki Ninja 900
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Fetch My Max

Originally posted by madmax-im
        Aside from my '82 MadMax XJ1100...My other bike is a '95 Honda ST1100.
        Previously owned;
        '78 Yamaha XS400
        '80 Yamaha XS1100
        '82 Yamaha Maxim XJ750
        '86 Yamaha FJ1200
        '91 Yamaha FJ1200
        '84 Kawasaki Ninja 900
        My other ride is Mr. Max hisself.
        81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

I've been downsizing

Down to my XS11 rig, the 1984 XS650 I bought NOS in '86 and a 1970 BSA 250.
          The XS650 runs good but pukes oil like a pre-war Velocette, The BSA seized up on me coming back from a rally in Alberta when I was just 7 miles from home.
          Got all winter to fix 'em, right?
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Re: I've been downsizing

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Down to my XS11 rig, the 1984 XS650 I bought NOS in '86 and a 1970 BSA 250.
            The XS650 runs good but pukes oil like a pre-war Velocette, The BSA seized up on me coming back from a rally in Alberta when I was just 7 miles from home.
            Got all winter to fix 'em, right?
            Actually I do have another ride and it's quite a ride for sure and it has four wheels and 565 cubic inches, truly EXcessive!

Comment

You mean like this?

Last edited by Crazcnuk; 01-04-2008, 07:00 PM.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Killer Kamaro

Originally posted by Crazcnuk
                You mean like this?

Actually I mean like this!

Comment

Re: Re: I've been downsizing

Originally posted by Dan Hodges
                  Actually I do have another ride and it's quite a ride for sure and it has four wheels and 565 cubic inches, truly EXcessive!

Comment

Hi Dan,

Holy Cr@p!..... That looks serious! I was mechanic for a while on a Vauxhall Chevette (like a little chevy nova?) with a Mopar big-block in it.

Best run was 10.99, but it coughed back on the nitrous on the very next run..... (Not my department..... Thankfully!).......... Engine damage had to be seen to be believed!

Authorities felt we had gone too far with the chassis, and wanted to take us from "Modified" to "Altered", so the car was never repaired.........

Bracket racing is (was??) not big over here, so we were racing "heads-up"

AlanB
                    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Quick 32

My car can run SS/B with a steel hood,a legal 427 with factory aluminum heads,an 850 Holley carburetor, manually shifted 4-speed and 14" wide rear tires @ 3200 pounds however I generally run in what is known as the quick 32 which is simply the fastest 32 cars there. You have to qualify and then you run on what you qualified at which is a form of bracket racing, but very quick. For the quick 32 stuff I run a motor with 565 cubic inches, Brodix heads, Dart block and intake with a single Holley 1150 Dominator on VP C-13 gas. In this application it also gets a lexan hood with a 11 inch snorkle scoop, a Lenco 4-speed clutchless transmission and a 16" wide rear tire and weighs 2900 pounds less driver. The SS/B combination is more expensive and breaks more parts because the motor has to be very radical because the class is so competitive and in SS/B it runs 9.20's e.t. @ 145 mph. With the big cubic inch motor in the quick 32 class it runs 8.90's @ 150-152 mph with very little breakage because you don't have to beat the motor that hard to qualify. You can build a 632 cubic inch motor for what I'm doing in the Q-32 and go faster but it's hard to get it to the ground and be consistent. You could also build a Pro/Stock type 2300 pound car and go much faster however it would not be legal for SS/B in that configeration and so I want to stay where I'm at class wise. I do not use Nitrous Oxide, nor is it legal for what I do although it is legal for certain types of bracket racing and street car stuff. You are allowed to run alcohol in quick 32 but it's nasty stuff, has lot's of draw backs and I don't mess with it. In Super Stock you must use spec gas and the NHRA administers the gas at the races to prohibit cheating with oxygenated fuels of which there are many. I have had several 67-69 Camaro drag race cars but this one was my first one and I purchased it new in November 0f 1967 and I don't want to cut it up any more than it already is. It is an original L-79 car meaning it came from the factory with a aluminum headed 396 c.i. 375 h.p. engine and was a SS/B car from Chevrolet. At the moment I have 3 motors, 3 transmissions, 3 hoods, 5 holley carburetors and tons of parts and no doubt will have more as time goes by. Drag racing is more addicting than dope!

Comment

I haven't started to 'hot-rod' it yet.

I run 12.20s at 112mph, @3800lbs (not counting me!)

The engine is a 502cuin engine that GM sells for trucks....Yeah, right!

It has a narrowed Ford 9" 31 spline w/ Lockright locker, 3.73 gears and a TH400.

It's set up for a B&M 420 Megablower, but I haven't been able to afford that piece yet.

I drive mine to the track, (300kms) pulling a holiday trailer.

No trailer queens here in the XS forum!

Biggest problem is that, since I started driving the Monte 10 years ago, Motorcycles haven't seemd nearly so zippy...
                        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I buy a lot of bikes and try and resell them.A buy a lot of Kawasakis because they are "cheap" I sold my Kz 1000A1 to a fellow from Australia last year and that left me without a bike.I had always wanted to try out a crotch rocket but didn't want to spend the big bucks for something i might not like. I ran into a deal for two Ninja 600 for $400.00 and couldn't refuse. I had one running in a few hours and it's been my rider for a couple of months. It's a blast to ride.Good gas mileage plus i have enough spare parts to last a long time.
                          My son rides with me nearly everywhere i go and he is wanting the XJ up and running NOW!
                          He was not happy when the Venture went to a friend in texas.
                          He is also not happy that i am building a one up rider.
                          KZ1000LTD.

He has his own bikes which he leaves parked and rides his four wheeler.
                          Roy Bean ebay moniker roy-b-boy-b
                          1982 Xj 1100 2002 V Star

Comment

Other rides

2002 Harley Davidson FLHRI Firefighters Special Edition Road King 110,000 miles - Owned? well...It will be mine after a few more payments.
                            It is a great big beautiful world out there
                            Brent in GA
                            Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

First post...

Hey guys...just got here.

On the 'other bikes' frontier: currently got 10 (no, not all 'runners' so don't get worked up); I've had over 50 bikes, but I was born in a bike shop, so it's a bit like cheating.

Currently in the collection:
                              '82 GPz 1100 (totally stripped, 'parts/project' bike now)
                              '81 KZ 1000 J (...modified...)
                              '82 KZ 1000 J: ELR clone
                              '78 Kawasaki Z1-R
                              '82 KZ 750 R1 (GPz750)
                              '88 Honda Hawk NT650gt (mine: modified)
                              '88 Honda Hawk NT650gt (hers: stock)
                              '79 Suzuki GS 1000 (bare frame...project/junk)
                              '84 Suzuki GS1150ES (gixxer suspension, etc...)
                              '82 CB900F (1100F motor, 33s, other stuff: project phase)
                              '83 XJ900R Seca (complete, just real rough: project)
                              ...dang it! ...that's 11... *ghuh!*
                              83 XJ900R (project)
                              82 KZ1000J (modified)
                              82 KZ1000J (ELR Clone)
                              82 KZ750R1 (GPz750)
                              78 Z1R (bone stock...for now)
                              84 GS1150ES (modded daily driver)
                              79 GS1000 (junk)
                              89 Hawk 650 (wife's ride)
                              82 CB1100F (calfab, CRs)

Comment

In addition to my 79 standard XS11, I have another one. I also have a Kawasaki KZ650.

I recently picked up a 1975 Honda Goldwing with a 1980 GL1100 engine. This bike will help with a few Goldwing products I'm working on and will likely become my daily rider. Right now there is a 50/50 chance I will sell my nicer XS11.

Geezer
                                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X