No announcement yet.

other rides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hideki you are one of the only people I have seen mention Yoshi's pipes. My new ride which I got today has a set on it. What can you tell me about them? I will get a pic posted here tomorrow, see if anyone agrees if I should fix it or part it out.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I actually never knew they made pipes for our bikes their stuff's really good, I wanted a slip-on muffler for a custom exhaust for my Virago

Comment

other rides? XSive Honda

Originally posted by fusionking View Post
        I think it's really sick that honda is ranking 1st in this pol. ...
        Garry
        That's what I might have thought except for my Rune. While most Hondas compromise, the Rune is definitely XSsssive! I rode to a stop with 35+ Harleys in Yellowstone and a couple of riders ambled over. The leader yelled to everyone: "hey, you guys wanna see a REAL bike Honda made"? In Sturgis several groups asked me to ride with them.

Love my XS though she is getting somewhat weary. I may need a 'new' one!

Jay
        Two '79 XS Elevens
        '04 Honda Valkyrie Rune w/Chrome & Pullback bars in Candy Black Cherry
        '64 Morgan +4 coincidentally also 1832cc
        Chama Rubber Duckie Winner
        Miss my RD-350, may buy another.
        My first dress was a Honda 550/4 windjammer, good compromise

Comment

As noted in my signature, I owned a couple CB750 Customs. a 1980 and a 1981.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Touring is As Touring Does

Originally posted by Jay View Post
            That's what I might have thought except for my Rune. While most Hondas compromise, the Rune is definitely XSsssive! I rode to a stop with 35+ Harleys in Yellowstone and a couple of riders ambled over. The leader yelled to everyone: "hey, you guys wanna see a REAL bike Honda made"? In Sturgis several groups asked me to ride with them.

Love my XS though she is getting somewhat weary. I may need a 'new' one!

Jay
            Two '79 XS Elevens
            '04 Honda Valkyrie Rune w/Chrome & Pullback bars in Candy Black Cherry
            '64 Morgan +4 coincidentally also 1832cc
            Chama Rubber Duckie Winner
            Miss my RD-350, may buy another.
            My first dress was a Honda 550/4 windjammer, good compromise
            You don't need a full dresser to tour the country, a little V-Max will do..
            81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

other bikes.

Well my other bikes are an 84 honda V65 Sabre I bought new in 85 right after my daughter was born. I do everything backward. I also just purchased an 85 yamaha Venture Royale. I didn't want to take the chair off my XS 11 but still wanted a touring bike.

I've had "Wretched" for over ten years and love the old war horse. Had my Honda for 20 years . I rarely sell a bike .

Comment

The stable includes:
                79 xs750sf
                82 xj1100j
                85 xj750xn

I try to ride them all equally.
                K. Johnson
                -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
                triple clean and boots
                -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
                replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
                -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
                $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

77 XS750 2D, 6400mi

1982 CB900F w/1100F engine

2000 TwinVee 20' w/twin 50hp 4 stroke Ev's(rebadged Suzukis)

Richard

Comment

other bikes

well as some of you know I sold my XS Eleven years ago and went 'newer' ... when I see pics of a pristine '78 Eleven like the one above, or even nice CB750's and XS750's I wonder if I should travel the ancient roads again ....

but I guess I've decided to stay with newer brakes and so on ... many others have also ... I would do it as a collector bike but not a daily rider ... guess I'm spoiled now

but the memories are still there ..... cheers everyone and thanks for the pics !

Horst in BC
                    '02 ST1100A
                    '03 ZZR1200

Comment

• Braking Distance

Originally posted by horst View Post
                      well as some of you know I sold my XS Eleven years ago and went 'newer' ... when I see pics of a pristine '78 Eleven like the one above, or even nice CB750's and XS750's I wonder if I should travel the ancient roads again ....

but I guess I've decided to stay with newer brakes and so on ... many others have also ... I would do it as a collector bike but not a daily rider ... guess I'm spoiled now

but the memories are still there ..... cheers everyone and thanks for the pics !

Horst in BC
                      '02 ST1100A
                      '03 ZZR1200
                      The braking distance for a box stock XS-1100 Special from 60 mph is 140 feet which is very competitive with a V-Rod, the new Harley XR1200, the Kawasaki Vulcan and most other 600 plus pound cruisers. A new Kawasaki Concours takes 133 feet to stop from 60 mph ( only 7 feet less than an XS Eleven) and the 09 V-Max takes 120 feet. A set of Bridgestone Battlax tires and stainless brake lines will obviously decrease the braking distance of the Eleven Special even more and after market master cylinders are there for those wanting even more whoa. What is the braking distance from 60 mph to stop on the Honda 02 ST1100 and what did it run in the quarter mile? Of course the Eleven is not a sport bike but we are talking cruisers here and a good Eleven, not one that is wore out. My 81 Super Special makes more horsepower and torque than that of a stock 1200 Susuki Bandit which is considered a modern day motorcycle by any standard. My Super Special will not stop as quick as the 1200 Bandit but I don't do de-celleration contest to begin with. A good Eleven will cruise the Interstate as fast as you've got nerves to go and I've been to Arizona from my home in St. Louis a bunch of times with never a problem and I've never seen a Gold Wing that I didn't pass. A sport bike the Eleven isn't but as a cruiser it's still a fine piece if its in good shape. To maintain an Eleven properly you need mechanical skills and a bin full of parts because parts are getting diffulcult to find and a dealer is a butcher shop. A ZZR1200 Kawasaki is a quick muther no doubt about that and will stop on a dime but to ride it from St.Louis to Albuquerque would be quite a chore to say the least. An XS Eleven with new pistons and rings, new bearings, new clutch, new valve springs, new shocks, new fork springs, updated tires, new brakes and brake lines is still one heck of a cruiser, faster than the V-Twins and more comfortable than most and lastly but most importantly it looks good and even with a lot of trick parts doesn't cost $10,000 however it's true that it will be judged as an antique to those of the unknowing but how satisfying it is to smoke some Mac Daddy on a mega cubic inch V-Twin out on the Interstate..........it doesn't get no better than that. If I'm going a 120 mph and a Deer runs out in front of me I won't need brakes because I'll being seeing Elvis shortly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Hodges View Post
                        I've been to Arizona from my home in St. Louis
                        If you do this ride again... stop in and see us if you get close...

If I'm going a 120 mph and a Deer runs out in front of me I won't need brakes because I'll being seeing Elvis shortly
                        At a diner in Vegas?
                        Odd... I would have thought something else...
                        81 SH Something Special
                        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

• A Dinner With Elvis

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
                          If you do this ride again... stop in and see us if you get close...

At a diner in Vegas?
                          Odd... I would have thought something else...
                          Hitting Bambi or Rudolf at 120 mph would no doubt bring the curtain down on my final act or at the very least put me in the Heartbreak Hotel however should it be the end of days I would prefer Jesus but with my recent track record, purgatory with Elvis might be the best I could hope for. My riding buddy and I are planning on a road trip to New Mexico this summer and I would like to visit Big Bend National Park in Texas as I have never been there. He has a stoked 1100-F Honda which was as of this past July a little quicker than my stoked Super Special but I'm not finished and his Honda is maxed out. We will be taking our trusty V-Maxes though because we don't want to wear out our prized possessions on such long road trips. I'll keep you posted on our plan. Oh yes, my favorite Elvis song was, "It's Now Or Never" which is quite befitting for a man of my age. I was singing that song when my ex wife took the "Midnight Train To Georgia"!

Comment

• I've read most of this thread. Interesting yet strange.

I find this on darn near every bike forum I go to. The FJR forum...they defend their "steed". The ST forums, Concours forums, Hayabusa, Gold Wing...you name it. This one is no different I suppose.

I love the old Eleven. One of the greatest bikes God ever allowned man to create. It's a tough old bird and harder than he11 to kill. I've had 5 Elevens. I can't say enough good about them. I just encouraged a friend of mine who is getting back into riding after a 10 year hiatus to get an Eleven. They get the job done.

BUT...

I've had quite a few "modern" bikes...recently. There is a world of difference between an XS1100 and a modern bike. Think of a '78 Chevy pickup for instance compared to a 2007 Chevy. I recently rode in a near new 1978 Chevy truck...the thing only had 35,000 miles on it and looked unbelievably "new". But it was now where near the truck of my good friend (and member here) that has a 2007 Chevy. they are worlds apart in ride quality, cab noise, handling and braking. The seats are miles better than the old '78 and the engine actually make more power than the old classic (thank you Jimmy Carter).

In much the same way one can compare an Eleven to a modern bike like an FJR1300 or a Concours. The 11 was the mac daddy for it's day. But it's day is long gone. That's not to say the Eleven isn't a good choice for today. I think it is. Like I said it gets the job done.

But it simply is nothing like a modern motorcycle. The ride quality, the brakes, the control, the chasis, ...the frame alone on a new bike has had a quantum leap in technical advances. The new Concours has a monocoque cast aluminum frame...it's 20% more stiff than it's more powerful brother the ZX14...and you can feel it. Even with all the suspension upgrades on one of my Elevens (Progressive springs, TKAT brace, steering damper) ... she still felt like spaghetti in a hard turn compared to a new bike. That's the difference between 43 mm inverted forks and 36 mm stanchion tubes. That's the difference between a double cradle welded steel tubular frame and a cast aluminum box. Now I know what the magazines are talking about when they mention frame flex.

Simply put...comparing an XS1100 to something like a Hayabusa or a Honda ST1300 is comparing apples to oranges. They are two totally different generations of motorcycle...built with very different technology. All wonderful bikes...but worlds apart.

The really cool thing about the Eleven...if it breaks I can work on it. I can not say same for most modern machines. And in this wise the comparo is much like the 1978 vs 2007 chevy trucks. Ahhhhh...simplicity is indeed beautiful.

Comment

• Other Rides?

My main ride is a 1978 GL1000 with a super charger on it. 95 hp @ the rear wheel.
                              I am looking forward to getting my 1980 XS1100LG in road worthy condition. In 1978, it was the runner up when I went bike shoping.
                              LuckyEddie
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
                              1982 XV750J Virago
                              1976 GL1000
                              1978 GL1000 Supercharged
                              1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

• Originally posted by Elevenator View Post
                                I've read most of this thread. Interesting yet strange.

I find this on darn near every bike forum I go to. The FJR forum...they defend their "steed". The ST forums, Concours forums, Hayabusa, Gold Wing...you name it. This one is no different I suppose.

I love the old Eleven. One of the greatest bikes God ever allowned man to create. It's a tough old bird and harder than he11 to kill. I've had 5 Elevens. I can't say enough good about them. I just encouraged a friend of mine who is getting back into riding after a 10 year hiatus to get an Eleven. They get the job done.

BUT...

I've had quite a few "modern" bikes...recently. There is a world of difference between an XS1100 and a modern bike. Think of a '78 Chevy pickup for instance compared to a 2007 Chevy. I recently rode in a near new 1978 Chevy truck...the thing only had 35,000 miles on it and looked unbelievably "new". But it was now where near the truck of my good friend (and member here) that has a 2007 Chevy. they are worlds apart in ride quality, cab noise, handling and braking. The seats are miles better than the old '78 and the engine actually make more power than the old classic (thank you Jimmy Carter).

In much the same way one can compare an Eleven to a modern bike like an FJR1300 or a Concours. The 11 was the mac daddy for it's day. But it's day is long gone. That's not to say the Eleven isn't a good choice for today. I think it is. Like I said it gets the job done.

But it simply is nothing like a modern motorcycle. The ride quality, the brakes, the control, the chasis, ...the frame alone on a new bike has had a quantum leap in technical advances. The new Concours has a monocoque cast aluminum frame...it's 20% more stiff than it's more powerful brother the ZX14...and you can feel it. Even with all the suspension upgrades on one of my Elevens (Progressive springs, TKAT brace, steering damper) ... she still felt like spaghetti in a hard turn compared to a new bike. That's the difference between 43 mm inverted forks and 36 mm stanchion tubes. That's the difference between a double cradle welded steel tubular frame and a cast aluminum box. Now I know what the magazines are talking about when they mention frame flex.

Simply put...comparing an XS1100 to something like a Hayabusa or a Honda ST1300 is comparing apples to oranges. They are two totally different generations of motorcycle...built with very different technology. All wonderful bikes...but worlds apart.

The really cool thing about the Eleven...if it breaks I can work on it. I can not say same for most modern machines. And in this wise the comparo is much like the 1978 vs 2007 chevy trucks. Ahhhhh...simplicity is indeed beautiful.
                                I don't believe anyone is saying a stock XS is superior to a ST 1300 certainly not me. I did state what the stopping distances were on various bikes new and old including the XS as it was tested in stock form and some things that could be done to improve it. A stock ST1300 weighs 727 pounds and puts 114 hp to the ground which gives it a power to weight ratio of 6.37 hp per pound. An 80-81 Yamaha 1100 Special weighs 557 pounds which it means it needs 87.44 hp at the rear wheel to have the same power to weight ratio as the ST 1300 and there are at least 3 or 4 guys on here that have made from 85 to 90 hp on the dyno with mildly modified motors and a set of good pipes. In a drag race, two vehicles with the same power to weight ratio will always favor the lighter vehicle because the lighter vehicle will accelerate quicker in the first 60 feet given equal drivers and vehicle preparation. A tricked out XS Eleven making 95 horsepower at the rear wheel will smoke a stock ST1300 in a drag race each having competent pilots and it will absolutely smoke it from 60 mph to a 120 mph on Interstate 70 in Missouri. Of course it's not a Busa or whatever but a good one will hold it's own against the 1000 Concours that just went out of style when the C-14 came out and a good one will smoke most any V-Twin save a V-Rod or the Susuki ME-109 and a really good one will run with the 109. A lot of guys have these XS Elevens because stock Elevens are cheap however I mess with mine because I like it and I have spent a boat load of money getting it to the point it is. I built my XS to the point it is to smoke Harleys and V-Twin Metric bikes and occasionaly some unassuming Mac Daddy on his $15,000-$20,000 touring bike. I have three motorcycles, my trick XS, a trick 96 V-Max and a brand new black & silver FJR-1300 and they are all sweet each with their own personality. If I wanted a road race bike or liked spooking the curves I would get myself an R1 or something similiar but curves are not my deal, it's straight lines that I'm after and the 725 pound ST-1300 Honda with it's somewhat industrial sounding V-4 tractor motor is not for me and I can afford anything I want. Speaking of flexy frames, I know the frame on the old Max was kinda spindly however a 1400 cc 600 pound early Max that's putting 150 horses to the ground will out run the new Max which weighs 700 pounds and putting 174 horses to the ground because of the power to weight ratio thing. I would not have a stock XS Eleven and have never owned anything with wheels or wings that was stock for very long and at the end of the day, when you strip away the electronics and intake system, a motor is a motor whether it's a 600 cubic Chevrolet Reher & Morrison drag race motor, a bike motor or a Lycoming flat four out of an air plane. Even a 1650 cubic inch Merlin V-12 that's used in the highly modified WWII Mustangs raced at Reno in the Gold cup races works essentially the same as the others and all are precise if you want to do them right and extract all the hp out of them you can. Oh yes, I have a pristine 85 3/4 ton Chevy pickup with a 502 crate motor that I use to tow my race car and trailer and that 500 inch low compression rat motor is a little noisy but it's got way more steam than some funky gas V/8 liter motor that's available in the new Chevy pickups. You could get one of Chevy's diesel's I suppose if you wanted to put up with the noise and the smell of that funky diesel. My truck doesn't have AC, power windows or any of that other BS, but it has a turbo 400 transmission that's bullet proff, 4.11 gears, power disk brakes, power steering and will pull my 28 foot trailer through the mountains of Tennesee as fast as I have nerve to go and oh yes, it takes 50 gallons of mid grade to fill it up and that comes kinda often pulling that trailer at 75 mph but who cares, it's a friggin truck (with no radio) I sing to myself. You brought it up so I'll ask again, what are the stopping distances on the ST-1300 from 60 mph to 0? What is the quarter mile times? What is the top gear roll on times from 60 mph to 80 mph? What is the top speed? A junk Eleven is exactly that, junk however one man's junk is another man's treasure and my junk has had plastic surgery and I would not trade it for the 700 pound pork chop aka the ST-1300.

Comment

Working...
                                X