Where have all the guru's gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    Nate, I'm not the type to take the bait so to speak, at least not often. So no argument from me. I have heard of a place where that might entice you though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

The real problem is when folks can not differentiate between room 12 and 12a.

Ohh...and Cy, I'd pose with Banshee, but me in anything close to revealing qualifies as vulgar these days.
    I am not trying to bait anyone or start an argument, I am just saying things should be fair and impartial. I am sorry if I have stepped on toes or offended anyone. I am now leaving this thread never to return to it
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Rstyduck View Post
      omfg!!!! Dont get rid of the babes!!!!! Lmfao
      We don't want to get rid of them. We just want to see them on XS11's (and particularly on mine)
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        Ohh...and Cy, I'd pose with Banshee, but me in anything close to revealing qualifies as vulgar these days.
        Notice, I did say "hot" guys. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that puts most of us out of contention! (that includes me, I don't think I have EVER fell into that category (I know that SWMBO might disagree on the EVER part but I don't think it's wrong))
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          I have no problem with it being there. I am just making an argument for the sake of argument (I have a problem with being playing devils advocate in most any situation ) I am just saying that if there are going to be rules then the rules should be enforced unquestionably. There should not be exceptions for this person because him and the mod are friends but the mod hates this other guy, or because the mod wants to talk about this topic but hates to talk about that topic.

If people are going to use the "These are the rules, if you don't like them then take your toys and goes home" argument then there should not be exceptions period. Honestly if that is the way that mods are going to enforce rules then they should not be mods because they are not properly doing their job of being impartial.
          Nate, trying to apply a 'black/white' mindset to any set of rules leads to stupidities such as expelling a 6 year old kid from school for showing up with a 1" plastic toy gun. Some common sense has to be applied, but unfortunately it seems to be less 'common' among some people. As I posted earlier, from what I've seen the mods here were very patient on numerous occasions when these guys went too far (and multiple warnings were given), so their 'surprise' at being banned is either contrived and just demonstates to me that their belief that 'free speech' overrules any site rules, or shows up their obliviousness at how obnoxious they could be, in spite of it being pointed out to them.

Putting up with someone who constantly is 'testing' the rules is extremely tiring (as any parent can tell you), but we're all supposed to be adults here, and there's no reason to tolerate that sort of thing past childhood. Sure, everybody screws up sometimes, but you're supposed to learn from those experiences, and that didn't seem to be the case here.

I could make more comments, but in the interests of peace and love, won't...

Let's move on.

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Tug-O-War: For the Facts or For the Fun??

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
            There used to be some other people on this site that just, mentally, physically, or some combination therein, could NOT stop arguing for the sake of arguing. It got real old.
            Yep. I saw it in the same sorta way.

Contentious definition-

"inclined or showing an inclination to dispute or disagree"
            "Marked by heated arguments or controversy; Given to struggling with others out of jealousy or discord"
            "an inclination to be quarrelsome "
            "exhibiting an often perverse and wearisome tendency to quarrels and disputes "

The way I understand "contentiousness" is to look at the way a dog learns to play "tug-o-war" with a sock. As a puppy, a sock is just something they pick up and start chewing on: no harm and no foul. Well, that is until the owner of that sock sees what's happening. Then the human tries to grab the sock and take it away from the puppy's mouth. The puppy instinctively bites harder on the sock and pulls back: the game is ON and can continue for as long as both want to "play". The sock becomes meaningless at some point. Just something to play the game with. Something fun to do. A way to pass the time. When you see a dog come up to you with a sock in his mouth and that look in his eye then you know exactly what he wants to do. It's your choice of whether to "play" or not to "play". If you play this game with your dog both you and the dog will get stronger/better at the game as the years go by. ( Unless the dog learns that it's more fun/tastes better to bite your hand...)

So, IMO the forum here had folks that enjoyed the same type of "contention". That was a way for them to "contribute". The reward of the contention was the act itself.That's not my "cup-o-tea" as I usually follow "debate rules" where loaded questions, Verbal Attack Patterns, personal insults, deliberate hostility, etc aren't permitted by the "debate moderator." As soon as I recognized any of these signs/behaviors I stopped participating in the exchange: up against a "bad faith" debater or a deliberately bad debater.

Some Disputes or disagreements can/will happen and can usually be settled when the cold hard facts or laws of physics are verified/agreed upon. (Which way does the engine rotate, CW or CCW??) I look forward to seeing these types of "disputes" discussed/settled in a way that is civil and adds to the overall knowledge base. I see the purpose of this forum is to allow the members to both learn and to contribute for the greater good.

I Can't really subscribe to "contention" and deliberate discord/verbal abuse as a means for contributing to the forum/members here. But then I've never been able to watch an entire episode of "Jerry Springer" either. JMHO

Comment

Hot guys!!!!!

I think it is an excellent idea!!! A Thread for just the "girls".....well maybe some of you guys......eh I've been a member for over 2 years now and all I've gotten to see is just a bunch of "old" motorcycles - go figure.???? We can call it HBT "HOT BUTT'S TOPIC". I'll be watching for it.
              BAT
              81XJ550 maxim
              Mystic
              09 Honda Rebel
              War Eagle

Comment

For all of you looking for Guys in the babes thread, you should give it another once-over. IIRC, there was a guy addition at one point in time. I believe one pic was keanu Reeves on either an old Norton or BSA, but that is really a stretch of the memory.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

eeeeeeeewwwwwww, a Norton.....
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                    There used to be some other people on this site that just, mentally, physically, or some combination therein, could NOT stop arguing for the sake of arguing. It got real old.
                    So someone like Russ79 who had all of about 6 posts this year was banned for being too argumentative? Something just doesn't add up here.
                    '82 XJ1100
                    '07 Harley Nightster (SWMBO'S)

Comment

You got that right....somethings rotten in Denmark.
                      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Not all the posts made were to a thread. There have been some PM's between members and the mods. They STAY between the members and mods, as that is what PM's are for. Not ALL of the "banned" were banned from here. Some DID choose to leave. Remember, the people DO have a right to leave the forum, as well as join. If they feel more at home on the other site, great! if not, almost ALL are welcome back. We are just trying to bring this site back to what it was two years ago, before the "experiment".
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          We are just trying to bring this site back to what it was two years ago, before the "experiment".
                          That sounds good to me...

Geezer
                          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                            Not all the posts made were to a thread. There have been some PM's between members and the mods. They STAY between the members and mods, as that is what PM's are for. Not ALL of the "banned" were banned from here. Some DID choose to leave. Remember, the people DO have a right to leave the forum, as well as join. If they feel more at home on the other site, great! if not, almost ALL are welcome back. We are just trying to bring this site back to what it was two years ago, before the "experiment".
                            I am sorry but you are either uninformed or lying. All of the BANNED were banned on the 6th without warning or reason given. Not a single 1 quit. I will check with Russ but pretty sure he wasn't sending the moderators inflammatory or even argumentative pm's. Most likely none at all.
                            '82 XJ1100

Comment

Vince, that's the kind of stupid statements that cause trouble. How do YOU know that Russ is a total innocent? Had you been with him for the months preceding this 24/7 monitoring his computer traffic? If anything less, then you DON'T know just what went on, other than the one side that makes you think you do.

Jeeez... there's that common sense thing again.

'78E original owner
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Not trying to cause trouble. But when I read something like that, posted by a mod that was most likely involved in the decision to ban these guys, that is false and misleading as in saying some of the guys weren't banned but just quit, what would you do? Have I monitored Russ 's internet traffic, no. But I know him personally and when he tells me he did not break any of this sites rules, I believe him.
                                '82 XJ1100

Comment

Working...
                                X