Where have all the guru's gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's done is done

I believe at this point, that ones who left were mad because the new toy (HBT) was taken away because they misbehaved. Fine they can go to their own site now and act as they want. They absolutely have that right, but I have noticed quite a few members that I haven't seen posting in a while have popped up. The ones that were not happy have their own place to play now. I hope they will be happy there, but I wonder if when they get tired of going on about how they were wronged and their anger runs out of steam, if what is left will be what they wanted. I will miss some of them, but I won't follow. I guess that's the last I have to say on this rumpus.
    Last edited by Toolmaker Tim; 07-09-2010, 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Hmmmm

Seems a lot of members are missing the point. I was not in the group that started the .org site nor was I a member of this site originally. The .org site was not intended to be competition or even a replacement. It was merely a bunch of guys who liked to express themselves in ways the Mods/rules here did not want. That's fine by me and I would have thought there would not have been an objection from anyone here.

At least 4 of them that have been banned had not even posted here within weeks of the ban.??? This is a private site with rules you have to adhere to or suffer the consequences. That saying, if someone does not break the rules then why the ban? Everyone does not always agree but we can all agree to disagree and leave it at that. The venom you see displayed on the .org site is due in part to the banning without being given the courtesy of a reason. The fact that they enjoyed the HBT forum was not the reason they were banned.

This site is a great site with lots of info and good people not that I always agree with all of them all the time. That is just human nature and the fact we are all individuals with our own way of seeing things. Why can't we accept other people and their quirks without belittling them personally? We all have to live on this earth so live and let live sounds like a good motto to me. There is a lot of good in both sites and I for one enjoy most everyone I interact with on them. JAT We should all be allowed to express our opinions as long as we adhere to the rules.
      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I really don’t know what the full history on this is and I doubt any of us will ever really know what has gone on in the background. If they were not posting perhaps they were PM-ing or e-mailing. In any case my experience here at XS11.com is that TC is a reasonable person who would not have banned these x members without reasonable cause. TC does a good job here keeping the forum focused on what it was set up for.
        The shame of it all is that in this world where there is a forum for just about anything you could dream of, these members could have likely found and joined a forum where politics, gun control, freedom of speech, freedom of expression etc are welcome. It would however appear that they have instead decided amongst themselves that they would prefer to start their own site where anyone can “let it all hang out”. Good for them if that’s what they want to do.
        For myself I prefer to remain here where the purpose is the discussion about the XS1100 series of motorcycles. That’s why this site and forum is called XS11.com and not something like rant and rave.com
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
          Seems a lot of members are missing the point.....

...Why can't we accept other people and their quirks without belittling them personally?....
          John, I don't think I missed the point. While this sort of thing is never good for anyone involved, the fact (as I see it) remains that these guys continually skirted around the edges of the site rules and with the advent of the HBT forum seemed to think that all constraints had been lifted. Pretty much all the inflammatory material/posts here originated with this group. As to what happened, I won't even attempt a guess at that except to comment that the whole story is probably more complicated that it appears on the surface. I will say that the mods IMO were extremely patient for a long time; the other sites I belong to would not have tolerated a lot of what went on for anywhere near this long.

As far as 'accepting' people, hey, I'm all for that. But the 'belittling' thing seems to be their stock-in-trade over there, 'free speech' notwithstanding. I wish them good luck nonetheless, but it's not for me...

If I want to be belittled, I'll call my 2nd ex and let her talk!

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Im somewhat new here, havent posted much but im getting going.
            I know none of this horse sh*t you guys are talking about.
            I have joined the .ORG site as another site for XS11 people and discussion.
            Im also on the UK XS11 site.
            Seriously hope i dont get banned for being on more than one site because some of you dont like the other people.

Im me, dont like it? Tell me to F O. Im an a$$hole, i dont care.
            I'll help anyone anytime if i can. I'll ask questions, answer questions and generally stick my nose in where it dont belong at times.
            I'll make fun of you, i'll be friends with you, i'll fight you and not care.
            Lets have a beer when the dust settles and get back to bikes and looking at titties.

Comment

Its all in the membership agreement

Hey Duck,

No one gets banned from XS11.com for belonging to any other site you choose to belong to. There are some rules that govern participation in the discussions here, they were in the agreement we all saw when we signed up for membership...

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

Now, there is leeway granted on these as can be seen in post, and the site even has a "nanny" that watches for vulgar terms and **** them out. So, basically as long as folks are friendly, and curtious to each other, much as you would expect if you were at a social gathering, or stopped at their house for a chat, there should be no problems. Only seen a handful of folks get banned from this site and every one of them I have ever known of related to the Hateful and Threatening part of those terms. Typically if something is headed that way, the mods will close the thread or maybe delete the post that were objectionable, as the next line of the agreement stated they could.

Hopefully, you and many of the new members (as well as the existing ones) find this is a very family oriented and friendly place to meet some VERY knowledgable people and discuss the XS11 motorcycle. It has been said more than once that you could not possibly hire or buy the collection of knowledge that is stored in the archives, and available by asking questions here at XS11. There are many areas where the UK site has more things available, like their gasket templates. Knowing some of the folks who are starting the XS11.org site, there is some good knowledge there also.

I've been here just under two years and enjoy it ALOT. (I know...compared to many that makes me greener than a John Deere). So enjoy all you can, and hope your XS11 brings you alot of fun and enjoyment.
              Last edited by DGXSER; 07-11-2010, 06:25 PM.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

What he said

duck, if you are in the mood to get wild and crazy, then .org is where you should go. If you want to live with the rules here then come here. By all means do both. Since you belong to the UK site, you can go all three places in one day and be a world traveler. When I was younger I might have decided to go there, the wild side of those guys would have appealed to me, but not now. Just remember which site you are on and post accordingly and it will be all good. I spent some time lurking over there last night, and they are having fun. As one of them said on their site, after all of the resentment is gotten out things will settle down.
                1979XS1100SF
                K&N's and drilled airbox
                Jardine 4in1
                Dunlop Elite 3's
                JBM slide diaphragms
                142.5 main jets
                45 pilot jets
                T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                750/850 FD mod.
                XV 920 Needle Mod.
                Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violation of any laws."

For argument sake I would say that the bikes and babes thread would absolutely fit into the "sexually oriented" category. It may not be vulgar but that is a different stipulation in the agreement. So why then should that whole thread get deleted for that reason. If someone wants to see pictures of "bikes and babes" then they can go to a website that specializes in that. This website is dedicated to the xs11 and not bikes and babes.

If we are going to be fair then lets be fair and not play favorites.

My .02 cents
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

For argument sake I would say that the bikes and babes thread would absolutely fit into the "sexually oriented" category. It may not be vulgar but that is a different stipulation in the agreement. So why then should that whole thread get deleted for that reason. If someone wants to see pictures of "bikes and babes" then they can go to a website that specializes in that. This website is dedicated to the xs11 and not bikes and babes.

Well Nate, alot of those rules are of a subjective nature to be sure, all I can offer you is that as previously stated leeway is given. If you find it offensive, then by all means inform a moderator of your concern.

And honestly, I hate arguments, they just lead to people being upset and saying mean things about stuff or people.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      "by agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violation of any laws."

for argument sake i would say that the bikes and babes thread would absolutely fit into the "sexually oriented" category. It may not be vulgar but that is a different stipulation in the agreement. So why then should that whole thread get deleted for that reason. If someone wants to see pictures of "bikes and babes" then they can go to a website that specializes in that. This website is dedicated to the xs11 and not bikes and babes.

My .02 cents
                      omfg!!!! Dont get rid of the babes!!!!! Lmfao

Comment

Just use common sense when choosing a thread to read. If you know that bikes and babes is going to offend you, then don't go there!! I was never a fan of the hot button topics. I read posts there a couple of times, found it wasn't for me, and never went back. Use the thing above you neck for more than a hat rack.
                        79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
                        79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
                        79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

I have no problem with it being there. I am just making an argument for the sake of argument (I have a problem with being playing devils advocate in most any situation ) I am just saying that if there are going to be rules then the rules should be enforced unquestionably. There should not be exceptions for this person because him and the mod are friends but the mod hates this other guy, or because the mod wants to talk about this topic but hates to talk about that topic.

If people are going to use the "These are the rules, if you don't like them then take your toys and goes home" argument then there should not be exceptions period. Honestly if that is the way that mods are going to enforce rules then they should not be mods because they are not properly doing their job of being impartial.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have no problem with it being there. I am just making an argument for the sake of argument (I have a problem with being playing devils advocate in most any situation ) I am just saying that if there are going to be rules then the rules should be enforced unquestionably. There should not be exceptions for this person because him and the mod are friends but the mod hates this other guy, or because the mod wants to talk about this topic but hates to talk about that topic.

If people are going to use the "These are the rules, if you don't like them then take your toys and goes home" argument then there should not be exceptions period. Honestly if that is the way that mods are going to enforce rules then they should not be mods because they are not properly doing their job of being impartial.
                            There used to be some other people on this site that just, mentally, physically, or some combination therein, could NOT stop arguing for the sake of arguing. It got real old.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violation of any laws."

My .02 cents
                              I agree and disagree with the what you say on that thread. I don't have a real problem with they thread, but it would be a lot more on topic if more of them had hot chicks on XS11's (and there are a few of those in the mix BTW). But then again, to be fair to the fairer members of the site (Kat being in that category), we should have a few pics on hot guys in various non-vulger states of undress on/with XS11's for them too.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Nate, I'm not the type to take the bait so to speak, at least not often. So no argument from me. I have heard of a place where that might entice you though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

The real problem is when folks can not differentiate between room 12 and 12a.

Ohh...and Cy, I'd pose with Banshee, but me in anything close to revealing qualifies as vulgar these days.
                                Last edited by DGXSER; 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM.

Previously owned
                                93 GSX600F
                                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                                81 XS1100 Special
                                81 CB750 C
                                80 CB750 C
                                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                                X