What did you do to your bike today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right on -- thanks!

The pipes look good, the rattlecan paint won't last as long as an expensive powdercoat but it works.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Hi thebottle,
      That looks like a decent crimper and the multi jaws make it very versatile. I have never seen a set of keys like that. they will make it a lot easier for disassembling connectors when you need to. That style of stripper requires more effort but are easy enough to use. Nice touch having a pouch and screwdriver. If I had not recently purchased a crimper i would be tempted to get it.

Wrapping the headers will promote RUST so not a good long term solution as stock header pipes are getting hard to find in useable condition.

Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
        Hi thebottle,
        That looks like a decent crimper and the multi jaws make it very versatile. I have never seen a set of keys like that. they will make it a lot easier for disassembling connectors when you need to. That style of stripper requires more effort but are easy enough to use. Nice touch having a pouch and screwdriver. If I had not recently purchased a crimper i would be tempted to get it.

Wrapping the headers will promote RUST so not a good long term solution as stock header pipes are getting hard to find in useable condition.

Phil
        Yeah, the crimper is pretty good, which is the important bit of the set, . And the keys are a nice touch too, I did use them to de-pin the connector when normally I would use a tiny eyeglass flathead to do it.

The stripper is trash though, I have that style from Harbor Freight and love it. The build quality of the one that came is in this set is horrible. The locking tab was bent out of shape, spring fell out, and was just crusty opening and closing it. Even after spraying some LPS on it. And some of the edges that should have been broken weren't broken. Just cheap and not in the good way. The screwdriver is just another screwdriver, good enough to go in the tray with all the other cheapies, .

I'll take that into consideration about wrapping the heads... I'll hold off on it for now.

The pipes look good, the rattlecan paint won't last as long as an expensive powdercoat but it works.
        Yeah, I'm hoping to get a couple years out of it, but I know it'll scratch and scuff waaay easier so may not even get that from it. Especially since I didn't put down an etching primer. But it's just something to make it look good quickly for now.
        Last edited by thebottle; 04-29-2020, 06:07 AM.
        1980 XS1100SG
        1998 KLR 650

Comment

• Exhaust gaskets. Last year replaced just one leaky one, learned my lesson.

This year all five....yes five... on my standard.

No sure if this was a mod after factory, but sure is handy. Used my wire tool, and it was easy peasy, leaving the headers re-installed last year with new gasket, in place.

Wire tool in action - assisted with muffler replacement

Moniey shot

And the ACCT install

Brian
          Last edited by dbbrian; 05-20-2020, 10:28 PM.
          '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
          '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
          '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Working...
          X