No announcement yet.

XSive age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most automotive supply stores will have ignition wires in bulk. Just buy the number of feet you will need to make up a new set. If there is a marine supply in your area you might try them for wire core HT wires. They are not legal for automotive use but are still used widely in the marine industry. Boats have a lot of moisture around and need the best in plug wires to get any sort of life out of them.
    Your NGK plug ends should be available through any auto supply store that sells NGK plugs. They may not have them in stock but should be able to order them through their NGK supplier.
    Follow the instructions on the link originally given for connecting the wires to your coils.

Comment

Plug wires..

As the wires are real wire and not carbon string like is used in autos the failure rate is minimal. The plug caps are resistance type to help eliminate noise. Replacing the wires is a PITA because they are molded into the coils and usually don't fail. Resistance wires like used in autos don't work well because it adds too much resistance and the spark is weak.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Wheeewwwww....
        Now that I have the 'headless' oil filter bolt removed and replaced and the 'stripped' drain plug out and the oil drained, and, a new oil filter and fresh oil installed, I can get to replacing the wires 'n boots...

Thanks again for the input, guys! @/@
        1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
        1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
        1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
        1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
        2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Cleared the 1/2 century mark couple years ago, some days I feel like but most I don't. My first exposue to the mighty XS11 was in '79 when my Laverda was down for the count. Went thru many bikes till I scored my garage baby 80G dresser, the rest is history and it still has an exaulted shrine in my garage. The wife has been very patient with me over the years, endulgeing my ambitions in various motorsport activities, and the associated expences. I seem to keep things motorized forever, 32 year old truck I still have the window sticker for, 17 year old car, hell, I have power tools that would qualify for medicare. I will try to fix it before I pitch it, no matter how long it takes (whens the last time you saw a functional Monkey Wards drill? ). I remember when horsepower was developed thru pure cubic inches and CFM, none of that new fangled fuel injection and computer controled stuff. I like carb cleaner that will give your offspring webbed hands, remember when R12 could be had for a buck a pound and the hot setup in PC's was an Atari. I fought the death of the 8 track as long as I could, as I did with the CD's. I remember checking out the new Betamax units (never bought one). Dont know what the next 10 years will bring, but my XS will still be in the garage, right next to my walker, and oxygen tank (modified to be a cutting torch of course )
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

20 on the nose.

Comment

Much alike

Webbcraft, you're a man just like me. All the old stuff that has been fixed, usually better than original. LOL Still using the toaster given to us as a wedding gift 30+ years later, etc. Would be much worse except for a storage room fiasco a few years back.... I do have lots of tools that are 3 generations old.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

They'll have to pry my cold dead hands from the grips...

Never too old to ride if you can keep it up(right).

52 Here.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Ill be 51 in nov

Comment

Early 30's..........

And do you remember when you went to the country bank and they pulled this large book out to find your account, that was printed by the MAIN bank once a week???

I DO!

Safe riding to you.
                    Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

31, barely older than my bike. It's getting to the point where every time I fix something on the bike, some thing goes wrong with me and vice-versa! Fortunately they'll still be making parts for me for years to come, but who knows when these bikes will become true antiques.
                      I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
                      3J6 003509
                      Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
                      Fuse Block Upgrade
                      Mike's XS Green Coils
                      Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

middle of the pack

I am 47. I got my xs11 a couple of years ago and the PO put me on to this site at that time. I joined immediately and have learned a lot. I have had bikes and maintained them since I was an early teen. I really didn't know what I was getting when I bought the xs, but I soon started getting an idea reading here and riding my new-to-me toy. I love the bike and intend to keep it for a long time. Someday I would like to meet up with some other XS owners for a good ride, a chat and a chance to see how my bike stacks up in performance against others of her kind.

This is a great site. Thanks to all.
                        80G XScitant XStreme

"Don't ever give up, don't ever give in, and don't ever read the owner's manual."

-- Red Green

Bikes I have owned --
                        '68 Honda 90
                        '74 Yamaha Enduro 125
                        '75 Husqvarna 250CR
                        '85 Kawasaki KLR250
                        '80 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD

Comment

So I voted 30's
                          Why not?
                          I still have some time before the 'big one'.
                          First bike, and just the right age to start a whole new life of adventure.
                          And what a great group of people to share it with, I must say.
                          Thanks to all of you for the help and support!
                          One round on me at XS East 09!!!
                          80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
                          79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

The double "6".....66 Y/young!

War baby..so they say. "tryin' to stay away from pills and the scalple". Hoping my 80 XS11 sg will stay ahead of them. So far so good. Ha. I remeber "Gyro Gearloose", the crazy scientist duck of the Donald Duck family...borrowed his handle.
                            Geno

Comment

I'll be 45 in September.

Comment

Older

Be 50 next yr

John
                                79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                                80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                                06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                                2000 Concours
                                84 Kawi KLR600
                                79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                                79 XR250
                                Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X