No announcement yet.

XSive age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious do you know the history of that thing, like what has been done to it to keep it going for so many miles?
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Might I suggest, "don't ever shut the sucker off!"

Comment

Originally posted by ratbyk
        Might I suggest, "don't ever shut the sucker off!"

Comment

I cannot understand what a young fellow like me could be hanging around on a site full of ole geezers for.
          POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
          THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
          1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

And I forgot to add that 45 years ago today, thank God and Greyhound I was leaving Ft. Sill , Ok, a new cvilian on my way back to Va,
            POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
            THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
            1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Originally posted by vanhump
              I cannot understand what a young fellow like me could be hanging around on a site full of ole geezers for.
              Me neither but maybe your forgetfulness has something to do with it!!!
              1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
              1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
              1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
              1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
              2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Originally posted by olebiker
                Just curious do you know the history of that thing, like what has been done to it to keep it going for so many miles?
                There's not a lot of history to it. I'm the 2nd owner. The original owner had it prepped and stored each fall and, the following spring a fresh fluid change and flush put it back on the road. It has always had Motul 10W50 oil in the crankcase. The upper and lower units were done approximately 15 yrs ago and the upper unit was done a 2nd time about 5 yrs ago. Other than the somewhat usual tires, brake pads, exhaust and a recovered seat, the rest is pretty much original.

Age, weather and the 'junkyard mice' managed to chew-up (pun intended ) a good chunk of the wiring which resulted in numerous electrical problems/issues. However, I've replaced or repaired much of the original wiring which seems to have taken care of that end of it. ( another one!)
                The only exception to this, is the poor ( OK... Bad) performance when caught in the rain... which happened again tonight on my return from a run to Lanark/Perth/Smiths Falls/Merrickville. However, one of the previous threads dealt with a similar situation and I have a number of good leads/suggestions to investigate.

Barring that though, she runs extremely well.

Interesting enough, the original owner traded up to a Yamaha V-twin cruiser (13/1500cc - not exactly sure of the size)... he wishes he still had the XS11MNS... 0h well, too bad for him ... good for me
                1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Damn makes ya wonder if they are ever gonna die. Better than the duracell bunny. As for the quiting in the wet, darkness in your friend Sometimes if you are lucky you can spray it in the dark and see shorting. If not then the hunt is on, can be nasty to trace down.

Comment

Quiting in the rain. Start with the plug wires at both the coils and the spark plug boots. If I remember right, NKG make a really good plug boot that works well on the XS11.

Comment

My intent, at the moment, is to replace the plug wires. However, I could use some advice on a) what are good replacement wires for the stock ones? b) where is a good place to get them from? c) is it preferable to buy the wires and boots separately?

Anyone

Thanks...

Ron
                      1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                      1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                      1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                      2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Check this link:

http://www.xs11.com/tips/modifications/mods23.shtml

on replacing the plug wires.
                        Also suggest you check out the maintenance and modifications articles on this site. Just scroll down the left side of this page for access to a wealth of info on trying for the next 300,000 miles.

Comment

Waterproof wires

There are several products to waterproof the wiring. Most contain silicone and most silicone spray works just fine. Clean the plug wires and boots and spray with silicone. You'll be amazed at the difference. Clean the inside of the plug boot really well and the porcelin part of the plug. Wet dirt conducts electric really well. I can wash my bike with the local pressure wash, including the plugs and up under the tank and it still starts right up to pull out and runs on all 4 real nicely. Hint, another thing that will contribute to your problem is a weak spark. You might try redoing the boot to wire connection too.
                          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                          Drilled airbox
                          Tkat fork brace
                          Hardly mufflers
                          late model carbs
                          Newer style fuses
                          Oil pressure guage
                          Custom security system
                          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Yep I wash mine there too . And it fires up like it was dry.

Comment

Planedick wrote:
                              waterproof the wiring. Most contain silicone and most silicone spray works just fine. Clean the plug wires and boots and spray with silicone.

I'll try the cleaning/waterproofing technique and see if that helps. I've already cleaned the plugs, boot ends, coil ends; replaced wiring on coils and, I know there's something else... another senior's moment

Ron
                              1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                              1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                              1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                              2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

ratbyk wrote:

"Check this link:..."

I had seen this page before but wasn't sure how relevant it was. As well, I've been searching through the maintenance and modification threads and didn't really find anything directly related to plug wires.

Having said that, it appears that most people purchase wires and boots/caps separately. It also appears that normal automotive wires are also used but, if one buys a set of wires meant for a car, then obviously the length of the wires will be either too long or too short to match a bikes requirements.

As I just stated above, if the majority purchase wires and boots/caps separately, then I presume that wires can be purchased in any length required? Also, if the resistance is critical, is it the wire or the boot/cap that determines this? and, what should it be?

NGK appears to be the preference for plugs and boots/caps but, what about the wires themselves?

Forgive my ignorance here but, I've only ever purchased plug wires for cars/trucks and have always purchased sets according to the specified catalogue listing at the automotive supply store. Never kept a bike long enough to have to change the wires. I suppose though, under normal circumstances, if wires were being purchased for a newer bike and not one that has been out of production for over 22 years, one would just go to the dealer and buy them over the counter. An option not available to us XS'ers (or so I've been told by various dealers).

Any answers to the above as well as any other relevant information/opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Ron
                                1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                                1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                                1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                                2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Working...
                                X