No announcement yet.

2024 Colorado Gathering, July 18-22 Westcliffe, Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm currently working on my XS11. God willing, I'll have it done by then!
    ​​​​​​I'd love to hang out with people who actually appreciate these bikes. Most people my age (27) have no idea what they're looking at. The rebuild is looking pretty good though, so I'm crossing my fingers I'll be able to get her up and running again by July.

Comment

Good to see your post, and first post at that. What XS do you have, where do you hail from and what kind of riding do you do?

Keep in mind most of the guys are coming from different parts of country and they're riding/trailering newer bikes, even though they still have an XS in the garage. It's important for the bike to be in good shape and ready to run elevations 7000' up to over well over 12,000'+ in temps from the mid-high 30's to 95-100 deg in the same day.

Last gathering had two XS's, a couple FJR's, Concours 14's, Goldwings, and R1250GS's. One R1200RT, Gen 1 V-Max, 1986 Honda Magna 700, 2001 Concours 1000, V-Strom 650 and a ZRX1200.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

You're "right" Howard it was a left turn !Thanks for nothing Bob. lol. I think that was the same rally that part of my pipe blew out and almost beaned Harry...I fixed all of that years ago and have pretty much retired that bike My new bike has a stock exhaust but have been contemplating a nice new Yoshimura header for it, I think I like the music a three cylinder with a pipe makes..

Comment

2014, your XS lost the baffle heading south into Westcliffe, CaptonZap went back to help you look for it. You were at the back, I think, because it was pretty loud even before the baffle came out. Then the famous right turn took place. Not only had you lost the baffle, but were hangry by then as well.

Fast forward to 2018, the Gunnison rally, turning west back onto Hwy 50 about 10 miles east of Gunnison the baffle decided to depart when you opened it up and blew it out like an RPG right in front of Russ (he said he had to duck it), a few hours after he hit the doe (that I don't know how you and I avoided at the front of the group) running up out of the ditch, crossing the 4 lanes going up Poncha Pass out of Salida. Then Russ damn near hit a moose a few days later when we did the ride over to South Fork on top of Slumgullion Pass. He had gone to church in Gunnison and was playing catch-up to the group when the moose came running. I think 3-Phase had ridden with you back to the campground as your rear tire had corded when we stopped in Lake City for gas.

Looking forward to seeing you on the FZ-09, nothing finer than a 3 cylinder sound, IMO.

What great times!
          Last edited by Bonz; 02-12-2024, 10:31 PM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hey guys, just a bump to the top. Been out on the ZRX 1200 each of the last two days, about 75 miles each day. Glad to be back in the saddle more than I was during my stint in North Carolina the last year. Gotta keep doing miles this spring for the opportunity to throw on fresh rubber and an oil change before the riding gets really good.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Howdy Bonz.., glad to see the rally back again,,,,what is the meeting spot location for morning ride meet up??? Mike in S. Diego and Pa.
              Last edited by Socer4m; 02-24-2024, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Will start assembling in Westcliffe on Thursday evening. Do a Friday morning ride, up to the Thunderbird Inn in Florissant for lunch, a 160 mile out and back. Other guys can roll in Friday as they can and that evening meet at the cabin for a cookout to get things rolling.

Plan is the Bishops Castle ride one day and extend it into a bigger loop than we've done before to see a few new roads. Around 220 miles for the loop if we do the whole thing. Includes a quick 25-ish mile stretch of Interstate 25 (75 mph) going south from Colorado City to Walsenburg, then Hwy 69 north back to Westcliffe,

The other day do a loop over Monarch Pass, into Gunnison, up to Taylor reservoir, over Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista then back to Westcliffe. Do it in that order or reversed based on any weather advantage, one way or the other. 240-250 miles.

Last edited by Bonz; 02-25-2024, 10:43 AM.
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I'm still working on the VaCa time to be there. I either need to swap engines in Okie or get The Green Hornet road ready. I'll most likely trailer if I make it. Trying to work in another visit to Montana to visit friends and family as well. I'm wondering how my 04 Camry will do with the trailer, the Blazer would eat my lunch in gas.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

For you coming over Raton pass is the biggest hill. From Walsenburg to Westcliffe on Hwy 69 is just a nice easy road, you came in that way in 2020 I think.

But being as your thought on the Camry was hypothetically thinking, I don't know how it would do, other than you hauled the trailer with a car (Buick?) to Kremmling in 2021.
                    Last edited by Bonz; 03-02-2024, 08:16 AM.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Anyone made room reservations yet? Any interest in sharing a room?
                      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

Hey dp, I texted the guys in the group text chat, will let you know. I'll give them your cell number if it hasn't changed.

Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Flight is booked. BMW 1250 booked. See yall there
                          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                          1981 LH

Comment

Most excellent!

Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                            X