2024 Colorado Gathering, July 18-22 Westcliffe, Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Colorado Gathering, July 18-22 Westcliffe, Colorado

Its back, despite many of us now being AARP eligible and potentially waiting on our cards in the mail.

July 18-22 2024 Westcliffe, Colorado.

Lodging available in Westcliffe, do a search for options as there are motels, hotels, bed and breakfasts, VRBO's, lots of options.

Soft arrival on Thursday, July 18 with a casual ride on Friday the 19th. Hope to have everyone there by Friday evening, for a cookout at command central cabin at DeWeese reservoir.

Main rides Saturday and Sunday which could include Cottonwood pass, Monarch Pass, Bishops Castle, Pikes Peak and other options. Head home Monday. Folks that have attended will vouch there are unlimited great ride opportunities, which could range from 125 to 325 miles in a day. Competent rain gear is a must for Colorado weather potential and layers of clothing to go from chilly mornings/high elevation to hot daytime temps and anything in between.

It's about the ride and the fellowship. I am proud past attendees have set a standard for preparedness, diligence and comraderie.

Post up here to show interest or questions.

Bonz.

Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

This rally has been on my bucket list......waiting for retirement to allow it.

I am retired now, but we have a new home under construction. We will be moving in sometime this year, but we don't know when.

I suspect it will be difficult to join this year. Drive or ride time is 24 hours.

If it happend again next year, chances are much better I can make it.

Thanks for keeping it alive!

-Mike
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

That's a great spot for a rally. Here's a couple of pics from 2018 of a 82 Suzuki 450 I rehabbed and put dual spot tires on taken about five miles east of Westcliffe and another shot of Bishops Castle, a must see attraction!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190602_111544391_HDR.jpg Views:	13 Size:	198.9 KB ID:	877139 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190602_121358976.jpg Views:	11 Size:	17.9 KB ID:	877140
      Last edited by LAB3; 01-15-2024, 03:19 PM.
      1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Bishop's Castle has been a mainstay when we've been in the front range/Southern Colorado since starting the rally in 2014.

This group likes to ride, 300+ mile days are like waking up and drinking a cup of coffee. With that said, typically one day is under our 200 mi but the other day can put some pavement under our wheels. Riding out west is a very different deal than back east.

Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Some Colorado pictures (on the way to Mexico). Beautiful country.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9643.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	877177 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9648A.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	877178 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4392.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	877179 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4398.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	877180

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            Its back, despite many of us now being AARP eligible and potentially waiting on our cards in the mail.

July 18-22 2024 Westcliffe, Colorado.
            Most of us are way beyond AARP. Now, most of the group is on Medicare. I hope you get a good turnout!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              Bishop's Castle has been a mainstay when we've been in the front range/Southern Colorado since starting the rally in 2014.
              It's not just seeing it but the story behind it that's most intriguing!

https://youtu.be/MAX7tUU0ebQ?si=YDFapS-4cpv0rbhV

1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

I love Colorado !! Hope to make it this year
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

COLORADO BONZ RALLIES ROCK,,,I should be there coming from the west coast,,,I will try and drag along Roo, Steve and will contact the elusive 3Phase, Scott,,,,keep us informed on the details Bonz,,,,,Mike in S. DIego and Pa.

Comment

Everything is status quo with respect to the first post info introducing this year's gathering. Most of the regulars are expected, however they don't hang out here much. The count is at 10-12 guys.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I wouldn't miss it for the world,. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the usual suspects and meeting any new ones that show up and think I might bring in a few new faces too...Thanks Bonz for setting it up.....again!

Comment

Joe, you know it's back to the original turn left or right conundrum getting lunch back in 2014, don't you? Just don't blow out your baffle and it'll all be good...
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Bump to keep this out in the open for folks to see. Have good personal responses from the guys who have been part of this for many years, don't be bashful. Colorado riding in the summer is the best riding in the country.
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I won't make that rally, but wanted to encourage you old timers... there are some of us youngins (32 myself) still hanging onto Xs's! In my case, I grew up hearing the stories of my Dad riding his Macho Maroon XS all over what seemed like the world (Canada, US, Mexico). Mine is an 80g model, and needed some love but it is all original down to the pipes! Kind of cool riding around on it now, having known the old man had lots of fun on his so many years ago! Have fun at the rally, those of you who will make it.

Comment

Working...
                              X