No announcement yet.

2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 years ago when I was putting this together they didn't have some of the nifty gear now available. Of the gear that I have the only real change I would make is to trade in the two-burner Coleman stove for a Jet Boil; all I really need is hot water for breakfast as most other meals are eat-out (at rallies) or simple meals (hot dogs, burgers, soup) when camping. This would save weight, space, and need for external propane canister and hose.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• I definitely didn’t pay full price for the tent, found it last summer for under $100.

This place is great for superb equipment at discounted prices. Especially as summer turns into fall and manufacturers are bringing out next year’s products.

www.steepandcheap.com

Here is a similar tent not a full coverage fly, even a bit more room. Full coverage fly really comes into play when it rains hard and long, never get wet. Helps keep heat inside the tent at night better than a partial fly.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/mounta...oxNjpUZW50cw==

Smaller tent but full coverage fly. Dimensions are just over 9 feet of length (7.5 feet tent floor, 1.5 feet vestibule for taking off shoes, storing gear, etc), 5 feet wide.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/mounta...M6MTozOlRlbnRz

For $35 or $40 bucks at Walmart, or still under $100 for something that you will use for the rest of your life with a lifetime warranty.

All of my main outdoor gear is from Mountain Smith and because they are more or less local to me in Golden Colorado, I have met the folks there and they have been around for decades (1979). I have an internal frame backpack that is 25 years old and they completely redid all the straps and buckles on it at no charge under the lifetime warranty a couple years ago.

Anyway, those are some thoughts and ideas for really good equipment and not break the bank when thinking the overall picture and using things and not having to worry about them breaking and needing replacing.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• I just saw a mention of Phantom Canyon Road 67, Cañon City, CO.
        Never heard mention of that here? Good road for future reference?
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

• Hi
          Originally posted by DeanR View Post
          I just saw a mention of Phantom Canyon Road 67, Cañon City, CO.
          Never heard mention of that here? Good road for future reference?
          It's dirt road.
          Some of the best scenery in Colorado is only accessible via dirt roads. A lot of the highways and byways are actually dirt or turn to dirt.
          Need a KLR 650 to maximize the fun.
          All dirt Rally would be a blast.

I really wanted to try and ride 129 along the CO-WY border on the Little Snake River, but it's dirt.

Jeff
          Last edited by JeffH; 07-25-2018, 07:36 PM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanR
            I just saw a mention of Phantom Canyon Road 67, Cañon City, CO.
            Been down that road a few times. It is an old railroad bed converted to auto travel; the old bed had washed out in some places and the railroad abandoned the route after the mining camps declined. Route has some nice geological scenery. Last time I was there it was still dirt and gravel.

I don't have a problem with most non-paved roads in Colorado. As JeffH said, and I have said in previous posts, a lot of Colorado scenery is not accessible from paved roads. Particularly in the fall when the aspen change color, unpaved back roads offer more scenery with fewer people than paved roads.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.

Comment

• A local Canon City kid died a few days ago rolling his Dodge truck off of it.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Associated with the Gunnison, Colo. rally, Anita and I would like to give a HUGE THANKS to Howard(Bonz) and all those who attended rally for contributing to the cost/effort of Anita and I receiving the two rally shirts. I do have to say, an awesome group of folks/riders!
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• You are welcome, and very deserving of Rally shirts for all you do and for the great presence you have on this forum.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Time to take the rally pages off-line. If anyone wants a copy of the pages and files please e-mail me.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.

Comment

• Many thanks for doing the rally page this and each of the past years, Jerry.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                      X