No announcement yet.

2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, you did say "continuous". Mount Evans road is much higher, but is is a dead-end. It is somewhat difficult to keep an XS11 going up there! Did my link to the pictures work out? I works for me because I am the author...
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by skids View Post
      Did my link to the pictures work out? I works for me because I am the author...
      Worked for me. I'm enjoying everyone's pictures. Especially those with names because I would have really liked to have been there to meet everyone in person. I do know Jerry, Brant, Jeff and DuWayne though!
      Oh, and to enjoy that nonstop Colorado scenery.
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanR View Post
        Worked for me. I'm enjoying everyone's pictures. Especially those with names because I would have really liked to have been there to meet everyone in person. I do know Jerry, Brant, Jeff and DuWayne though!
        Oh, and to enjoy that nonstop Colorado scenery.
        The names of people are included as the file names (it wasn't obvious).
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
        03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

The names of people are included as the file names (it wasn't obvious).
          Yea it was Skids. That's how I put some names to faces. Thanks
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

• Busy work

Follow-up to the aftermath of the rally:

When I pulled the oil pan I found a lone camshaft bearing cap nut in the oil pan but all of the nuts and washers are in place on their caps and correctly torqued. I have no idea where it came from. I checked and none of my other engines are missing any camshaft nuts so it must have been a present beamed down from the Mother Ship to mess with my mind.

It worked!

I also found the reason for the lousy gas mileage. The OEM vacuum hose for the octy was split around its circumference right at the valve barb and it broke off when I was rechecking the valve clearances. The valves are reseating themselves nicely and I only had to change the #3 exhaust valve shim.

I'd noticed the engine seemed to start chugging sometimes and run like an '850, the fuel valve was working just enough to let some fuel get to the carbs but the engine was down on power and running on three cylinders. It needed too much throttle for the three good cylinders to do most of the work and with the vacuum leak making #2 run super lean, I'm surprised it didn't hole the piston while we were riding through the desert.

I had to take my brand new Tourmaster soft bags back to Yamaha yesterday for warranty replacement. When I unpacked I noticed that the stitching was tearing right out of the bags where the seat cross straps are sewn on and there was a hole where one of the seams was beginning to split open. The only thing in the bags was a couple of pairs of jeans and a spare quart of oil in one side and a dry bag with t-shirts and socks in the other side so there's no way they were overloaded. To say that I'm not happy is an understatement.

I bruised my left heel on the way to the rally and it hurt like crazy to ride. While I was dropping off the bags at the dealer I picked up a set of Kuryakyn offset foot pegs. They're for 1 /14" bars so I had to grab the ones from my '79 Special and they fit nicely.

-- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
              Anytime your bike seems to start to run poorly, switch over to the prime setting to bypass the automatic function for fuel supply (if you can on the specials). My standards sometimes give me troubles at 60 mph with the left petcock - all three of them!!!

Nice pegs!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Anytime your bike seems to start to run poorly, switch over to the prime setting to bypass the automatic function for fuel supply (if you can on the specials). My standards sometimes give me troubles at 60 mph with the left petcock - all three of them!!!

Nice pegs!
                Thanks! I wish I'd had the pegs for the trip. My heel's messed up from the walking and riding instead of keeping off of it, now I walk like a pirate: (thump) Arrr! (thump) Arrrrrr! It should get better now that I can stay off of it for a while.

I tried switching to Prime and ran out of gas. I bought some of that spendy fule hose that kinks even when you're not looking at it cross-eyed. Replacing the lines with something that doesn't kink is on the Busy Work list but since they do work if I actually run out of gas and manually unkink the lines to let the carbs fill up it's been on the back burner.
                -- Scott
                _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Of no real comparison, but the Highlader got us 23-24mpg.
                  Not bad for an SUV.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

• Arrr! indeed there matey Scott.
                    ya need ta be wearin' an eye patch till that foot heals. Arrr!

Was going to sort out a few rally pics to post but Beltrami Electric Cooperative here in Blackduck MN had other plans. Seems they have same reliability as Lucas.

no power = no dinner except for 3 restaurant packs of stale saltines and beat up avocado I bought in CO.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Avocados and crackers... (shudders) eeeww. I hope breakfast isn't dark!
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

• I see the light! I see the light! I see the light!

Someone left their USB cables on the charging table at the group campsite in Kremmling.

I think these are the cables, USB A to Micro B, but I had a nest of the darn things in my bag so sing out if you remember forgetting about a couple of cables.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

• Saturday Rally Ride

Starting off on the Saturday Ride towards Hayden

Duwayne on the RT

Bonz, CZ & Duwayne pulling some G's on the way to Yampa / Toponas

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Almost made it home today. Just under 500 miles yesterday, I spent a little extra time with my family and left around noon. Rever app showed that my average speed including stops was 73mph. Not bad with 80mph speed zones and tons of construction slowdowns. It also lies and says it did 137 at some point. Surely that can't be true. . Averaged 47 mpg for the day.
                            840 miles today from little America Wyoming to some Podunk town on I29 in Iowa. Only had 2 hours to go to make it home and was feeling good. My wife called to tell me there was some decent thunderstorms hitting Kansas City. Didn't feel like riding into a severe storm at night so went ahead and got a room. Short ride in the morning will get me home. Had a headwind most of the day. Mileage was down to around 43.
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Made it home no problems this morning. Great rally once again Howard. Was awesome seeing all of you guys and meeting some new ones.

As far as that battery goes, We tried using the smaller Lithium Ion battery but when we hooked it up, it was dead as a door nail. Wouldn't even light up the gauges. I got the impression it was the only one they had of that size. And since I had 15 guys sitting in the sun waiting on me, we crammed the bigger one in there and went with it. Its been working flawlessly (as expected) since, just have to figure out how to make the battery cover fit around it.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• My bad, I had forgotten the smaller one wasn't working!
                                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                                X