No announcement yet.

2004 Classic Yamaha Rally in Suches, GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC - didn't we have 4 in our room last year? You had a folding bed and Harley Dave slept on the floor? Or was that another rally I am thinking of? Gosh, they are starting to run together....

Bad news for the day. I took the Mangler out for a shakedown, and to run the last of the old gas out. Got to an intersection about 6 miles from my house, smelled gas. I looked down and found the right petcock had leaked, and the wind sprayed gas down my chaps, over my side cover, along the side of my seat. I just rebuilt both of them this past spring. How the heck can one start leaking after 6,000 miles and 5 months. Durn it!! Well it only sprays when I have vacuum on it.

So I guess I am not riding tomorrow, gotta fix that. Can't get another rebuild kit in time, I hope it is just a loose screw.

Might have to ride the Venture all the way down. Oy!
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

sleeping warm

TC,

Go to http://www.campmor.com They have sleeping bags for giants!
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Uggg...its always something. Did you ever get the steering head bearings fixed (don't remember). Venture would be fun in the corners.....but tiring by end of day. See you there either way.

Originally posted by MartyA
        Bad news for the day. I took the Mangler out for a shakedown, and to run the last of the old gas out. Got to an intersection about 6 miles from my house, smelled gas. I looked down and found the right petcock had leaked, and the wind sprayed gas down my chaps, over my side cover, along the side of my seat. I just rebuilt both of them this past spring. How the heck can one start leaking after 6,000 miles and 5 months. Durn it!! Well it only sprays when I have vacuum on it.

So I guess I am not riding tomorrow, gotta fix that. Can't get another rebuild kit in time, I hope it is just a loose screw.

Might have to ride the Venture all the way down. Oy!
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Yep, new steering head bearings, new rear tire to match the front, motor, middle, and final drive all fresh oil, new heavy duty shocks (ride is TERRIFIC!), new rear LED lites. It was ready...

Petcock... Might just close that one off and "T" the left one.
          Marty in NW PA
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Left petcock leaked, when I went to the right one the vacuum valve wasn't shutting off the fuel. Sheesh. Well, I took them apart, all gaskets and O-rings still looked new and surfaces were just fine. Re-assembled them and BOTH leaked - a LOT - with no vacuum. Took them apart again, reassembled them again, and now they work fine. See how long they last.

Still on for TWO!
            Marty in NW PA
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

You know this is confusing me. I go to Gettysburg with the wife ( spent an enjoyable afternoon with Ralph & Tracy Waltman) and come home to find....
              Marty A has TC sleeping in a fold up bed last year at T.W.O. and this year TC is talking about sleeping in his car and trying to buy an extra long sleeping bag so he doesn't need to run the motor all night. My version of this is.. TC had the big double bed last year, He has it again this year. Marty A and I had real beds which we have again this year. Harley Dave slept on the floor last year and we haven't seen him since. hope he is ok. NOW, if TC wants to be in his car and Marty A. wants to sleep in the car too, or, sleep on the floor. There would be two real beds available. My bed, the third one, is the one in the back corner and I ain't giving it up. Like I said, they are confusing me but we still are going to have fun. Everyone come on down to T.W.O. if you can.

Ralph Meeks
              Ralph Meeks
              79F
              80SG

Comment

Ah, the keen memory of the young...

Yeah, come on down! By Ralphs reckoning, we ought to have 5 or 6 spots extra for sleeping in our room. I think...
                Marty in NW PA
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

Bunkhouse #4 is available at www.highvalleyresort.com at $40 per night. That is the old airport location of TWO. Mary and I will be staying there Friday and Saturday nights.
                  Bill Murrin
                  Nashville, TN
                  1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                  1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                  2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                  2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                  1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                  2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Hey Ralph,

The Marty I was referring to was JetMechMarty, I know Marty A and you and I have the 3 beds available for the room!!

Thanks Jet Marty for the link, but I'm NOT INTO CAMPING!!! But, yeah, like Marty A said, there's room on the floor for 1 or 2 more folks if the need is there!

Hey MartyA, did you try rebending the wavy washers, you can pull the cover plate off, and bend them a bit more to help them put more pressure against the rubber gaskets to make a seal!!

At least I won't have to make an emergency run to the local bike shop for a tire this year!

Alright, Gary's coming again, are we going to be going up to Deal's Gap again this year?? Bring on the twisties!!
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am ready, the mangler is ready.
                      Marty in NW PA
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

Hi TC, yea, I camped last week. Not this one. I feel sure we will get to the Dragon. Hope it is not too crowded. Are you positive the tire is still good????? it IS a year old now.
                        Bringing the 79F so I will have less gas stops. I will not belong the shiney bike club this time but I can bring the rags and practice. Leaving Thrusday am.

ralph meeks
                        Ralph Meeks
                        79F
                        80SG

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA
                          I am ready, the mangler is ready.

Glad you got her fixed Marty.

ralph meeks
                          Ralph Meeks
                          79F
                          80SG

Comment

Hey Ralph,

Well, since I have only put on about 2k miles since last year, I'm sure the tire is quite good!! And my Cheng Shing front is holding up surprisingly well....ducking out of the way of debris being flung my way! I got it from JCW 4 years ago on a very tight budget buy.

Godzilla has been firing right up, but I decided to check the battery and recharge it "Just in case". Good thing, the dang thing was dry on the top of the cells !!! Had to put in over a cup and a half of water to fill it back up. Thankfully it still has 12+ volts, and is on the trickle 2amp charger now, bubbling nicely!! PHEW! It is going on its 4th year, but our winters aren't as cold here, and so I'm hoping to stretch its life another year!?

And don't worry about what your ride looks like, as long as it runs reliably that's all that matters. I realize that you probably wont' even see this until after the rally, since you're leaving in the AM, I've got to work another day, will be leaving Fri. Am!

Marty, got your PM, guess I'll bring some extra $$ to pay you for the headlight bucket AND the carb parts!!! Thanks! See you all there!!
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TC, yep, I am running late but I got all day. Thanks, I need to check my battery also. Did all but that. Not really concerned about the looks, I was really pokeing a little fun back at Gary for his comments to several of us in WVa.
                              I do have some reservations about the 79 on a long trip because this is the first one with it. Anyway, It is loaded and ready to go. Could have sworn I saw that 80 glareing at me this am when I was loading the 79.

See all in ga
                              ralph meeks
                              Ralph Meeks
                              79F
                              80SG

Comment

Leaving in about a half hour see you all there!!

Gary Granger
                                Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                                2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                                X