Florida-Georgia Line 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No motels in Ohoopee ..........
    So at a nice mom & pop in Lyons. Jerry, Mike, Scott and I rode good 220 mile ride today.
    Left Atlanta at 2pm.

On to Kingsland in the morning.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
      No motels in Ohoopee ..........
      So at a nice mom & pop in Lyons. Jerry, Mike, Scott and I rode good 220 mile ride today.
      Left Atlanta at 2pm.

On to Kingsland in the morning.

Jeff
      Hi Jeff,
      envious of your ride. Tulsa to New Buffalo Michigan today in rain heavy at times just like you suggested it would be. No Tornado.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Our group (Mike, Scott, Jerry & I) had buffet lunch at the Okenenokee in Folkston.

Now in Kingsland hanging out at the Daze Inn. 75 degrees and sunburn sun. Forgot my sunscreen .

Brent a d Kurt on their way.
        Jonathan and Phil just drove in.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

XSSE Rally Update:

Been talking, eating, riding and doing some sightseeing along the way.
          About equal parts of each. In no apparent order.

Did the Jekyll Island ride as planned for Saturday. With a little time on the beach. Bikers & Bathers. Checked out the Brunswick Stew pot in Brunswick. Skeptical Brunswick Stew actually originated in this Brunswick. Crashed a wedding and historic hotel bell-hop but that's a story for another time.

Today rode into Florida then to St George GA and to the Okefenokee Swamp to look around and take a hike on the Boardwalk. Pretty darn good Buffet lunch at the Brickhouse in Folkston.

Half the group took off to ride out to St Mary's while the other half chillin' at motel.
          Having fun and enjoying the rally.

XSSE
          Last edited by JeffH; 04-07-2019, 05:02 PM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Ricky and I got in at 7 PM. We rode I95 up to SC and then took 17 N. We had lunch in Charleston and shopped for golf clubs in Myrtle Beach. Thanks for putting the rally together, we had a great time. As always it's great to see everyone.

The other Earl
            80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
            and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Phil and I took off with Eric at around 9:30. Eric rode with us south until I-10 where he took off for home. Phil and I made it back home in South Florida around 3PM. Hit a little rain near Ft. Pierce on I-95 for a bit. Saw it ahead of time so we stopped for gas and to put on some rain gear. It was a short rain though and it was dry most of the way south.

Great riding with everyone this weekend. Jeff summed up the locations and sites pretty well. Also, thanks to Jeff for all the great planning.
              Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Heard from Don. He got home about 12:30
                an hour before the storms hit

J
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

The Atlanta group all home safely and parked.

Hot & Humid in Kingsland, then cool and foggy in the swamp. Then opened up to sunny skies and 80 degrees for about 200 miles and a tailwind. Ran some fun, fun roads on the way north & west on the way home. Great scenery and some good roads with some fun curves. Did I mention we had good roads and a great ride? It felt like we should be getting a nose bleed coming from sea level way up to 1,100 feet here in Atlanta. Fun ride ……………

Obligatory lunch stop at Rick's BBQ in East Dublin.

Then, we hit rain (well more like a car wash) in Eatonton. Had been out in the boonies so luckily we "almost" made it. Another 90 seconds and all would have been dry. Jerry, Scott & Jeff made it into a gas station after a crazy mile of torrential rain and howling crosswinds. Mike and Brent were a minute behind us so they got to see the torrential rain, howling crosswinds and a close by lightning strike along with water on the roadway. Appropriately they parked inside a car wash that turned out to be next to the gas station we were at. Waited maybe 25 minutes then started riding again. Warmed back up to about 75 degrees.

Brent peeled off about 4pm as we went by his house, then Jerry and Jeff peeled off next at 4:45 leaving Scott & Mike to drive the last 10 miles to their house. Rush hour traffic and a zillion school buses slowed down the pace of the last 20 miles.

So we all off the bikes and had a terrific ride today.
                  It sure was great seeing everyone at the Rally. Hope we can all ride again soon.

J
                  Last edited by JeffH; 04-08-2019, 05:53 PM.
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Had a good time again hanging and riding with everyone, good to meet some new faces. Thanks again Jeff for your organizing effort. Ride safe everyone.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Yea, that was great weekend ride.
                      80 G

Comment

Yep, that was a good ride & rally.
                        The five northside Atlanta riders went 1,020 miles. Gone 5 days. Kurt & Nancy about rode 900 miles. Some good roads, nice scenery and some nice curves. Except for about 240 miles getting in & out of Atlanta, most of the ride was below 300 ft elevation. Good Zig & zag around rivers and swamps on the way to & from the rally. Rally rides were about 20-30 ft elevations max. Jerry's bike was a running a bit rich since it is set up for Colorado and riding at 10,000 Ft. Imagine the south Florida riders also rode about 1,000 miles. Don probably 750 miles and Eric 650 miles i'm guessing.
                        Weather cooperated nicely though we did have to ditch the Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation since that was under a wall of blue grey / black clouds with a special weather warning to seek cover. So we left Brunswick and High Stepped it south into the sunny skies.

Will try and post some pics tonight.

Jeff
                        Last edited by JeffH; 04-10-2019, 01:59 PM.
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Atlanta to Lyons GA

Left Atlanta at 2pm on Thursday 4/4 and rode 220 miles on a bunch of different roads east then south, then south then east on the way to Kingsland.

Hanging out at 'the Yorke' in Lyons GA - ah, it is good to be on the road again

Got a good deal at $50 bucks a room.

Snagged a surprisingly good dinner at the nearby Elements Bistro & Grill.
                          Jerry, Mike, Scott and Jeff on the road a day early.

J
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Jekyll Island GA

Saturday did some AM riding then headed to Jekyll Island GA. One of Georgia's Barrier islands.

Parked at the beach getting the Speedo's on and ready to dive into the Atlantic

Not the whole group, but the best we could muster. Think some were body surfing or something

Anybody notice the V formation overhead? Of course heading North

Eric, Don & Brent waiting for lunch

Contemplating Fish or Chicken

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Lunch at Zachary's on Jekyll Island on the western side so the ICW side (Intercoastal Waterway) Restaurant, Marina & Docks

Phil coming down the steps after lunch

Kurt too leaving after lunch

Fresh catch of the day was Flounder. A few had that.
                              Brent & I went for the fresh GA Shrimp and Oysters. Didn't pay attention to what the others had since my fork was flying.

J
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

At the Chesser Homestead in the swamp

Brent had been keeping his nose to the Grindstone but took a break and stopped to sharpen his knife.

J
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X