XS Southeast 2018 Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    Originally posted by Radioguylogs
    Scott:

    Although this forum is not the HD support group, it seems your failures are all related to modifications, and not the inherent reliability of an new Harley?
    They are Harley-Davidson mods.

    Leave a comment:


  • Radioguylogs
    replied
    Mods

    Scott:

    Although this forum is not the HD support group, it seems your failures are all related to modifications, and not the inherent reliability of an new Harley?

    Leave a comment:


  • JeffH
    replied
    Yep, this is NOT exactly the kind motorcycle touring adventure you were planning on when you bought the HD
    -but- it did get you to VYR and that was fun to have you there.
    All part of the LD biker experience. At least HD warranty is picking up part of the tab.

    Hope you get out of Milwaukee before the blizzards start.
    Keep us posted so we know when you are on the road again.

    Jeff
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-19-2018, 07:08 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyA
    replied
    Cursed bike

    Originally posted by 3Phase
    One of the exhaust valve springs broke but this time it was on the front cylinder, not the rear.

    I was on my way to tour the Harley Powertrain plant in Menomenee, WI, the home of the Milwaukee Eight engine. As I rode across the bridge over the freeway less than 1/8th of a mile from the plant, the engine started clanking, spitting, and misfiring and wouldn't idle or stay running unless I kept the RPMs up. I turned around in the freaking driveway of the powertrain plant, put on the emergency flashers, then rode 5 miles back down the freeway to the Milwaukee Harley-Davidson dealership that had JUST replaced a broken windshield bushing bolt under warranty.

    They were surprised to see me so soon but the dealership discovered that the exhaust valve spring was broken and corporate has decided they're going to put on a whole new head and jug under warranty, it should be ready on Friday. In the meantime, I'm touring Milwaukee and visiting all of the Harley sites in a rented 2018 Nissan Altima.

    I hope to be back on the road on Saturday, it's a lot of fun in the hotel bar watching the Dodgers vs the Brewers and Green Bay vs the 49ers.
    I'd just park it, demand my money back under Lemon Law. Then take a taxi over to the Yamaha dealer and pick up a new Venture (assuming your desire for a V-twin). Ride forever....

    Leave a comment:


  • MPittma100
    replied
    What?

    Scott,

    I feel for you man. Brand new bike. Way too many failures. I certainly hope that HD is paying close attention to these issues you (they) are having. Yours can't be the only one with these problems. Breaking valve springs is way up the list into the critical failure area.

    Hope it works out for you.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Phase
    replied
    Originally posted by jetmechmarty
    I have to admit I'm a bit envious of your adventure. However, it would make for more interesting reading if your Yamaha was broken down. Oh, wait...


    Heh, my Yamaha isn't broken. I may have to fly home and then come back on my XJ to deal with the Harley.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    Originally posted by 3Phase
    I hope to be back on the road on Saturday, it's a lot of fun in the hotel bar watching the Dodgers vs the Brewers and Green Bay vs the 49ers.
    I have to admit I'm a bit envious of your adventure. However, it would make for more interesting reading if your Yamaha was broken down. Oh, wait...

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Phase
    replied
    Trapped in Milwaukee!

    One of the exhaust valve springs broke but this time it was on the front cylinder, not the rear.

    I was on my way to tour the Harley Powertrain plant in Menomenee, WI, the home of the Milwaukee Eight engine. As I rode across the bridge over the freeway less than 1/8th of a mile from the plant, the engine started clanking, spitting, and misfiring and wouldn't idle or stay running unless I kept the RPMs up. I turned around in the freaking driveway of the powertrain plant, put on the emergency flashers, then rode 5 miles back down the freeway to the Milwaukee Harley-Davidson dealership that had JUST replaced a broken windshield bushing bolt under warranty.

    They were surprised to see me so soon but the dealership discovered that the exhaust valve spring was broken and corporate has decided they're going to put on a whole new head and jug under warranty, it should be ready on Friday. In the meantime, I'm touring Milwaukee and visiting all of the Harley sites in a rented 2018 Nissan Altima.

    I hope to be back on the road on Saturday, it's a lot of fun in the hotel bar watching the Dodgers vs the Brewers and Green Bay vs the 49ers.

    Leave a comment:


  • DeanR
    replied
    Originally posted by jetmechmarty
    A little taste of what you missed.

    https://youtu.be/kE8AEFqSnso
    Nice highlight video Marty. Maybe next year (the same thing I say every year).

    Leave a comment:


  • JeffH
    replied




    Some good fun after a yummy prime rib or salmon dinner

    Jeff

    Leave a comment:


  • Radioguylogs
    replied
    Originally posted by jetmechmarty
    A little taste of what you missed.

    https://youtu.be/kE8AEFqSnso
    ...Or what you enjoyed, as the case may be.

    Nice video, Marty. Captures the fun.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    A little taste of what you missed.

    Leave a comment:


  • motoman
    replied
    Originally posted by 3Phase
    I'm thinking spikes like ice racing.
    ….whatever it takes to keep the ride an 'adventure'.

    Leave a comment:


  • 3Phase
    replied
    Originally posted by motoman
    …...or be forced to run I-10 back to Caly.
    I'm thinking spikes like ice racing.

    Leave a comment:


  • motoman
    replied
    Originally posted by BA80
    Better hit the closest Hardley dealership and get some snow tires.
    …...or be forced to run I-10 back to Caly.

    Leave a comment:

Working...