No announcement yet.

XS Southeast 2017 discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks everybody for the warm welcome for my first XS/XJ r ally. Thanks also for showing me around the TN/NC roads and particularly the Tail of the Dragon.

It was a blast. I will return to appreciate the vintage Yamahas, the great people and the roads!

I made it home by 2:30 p.m. tired from avoiding being run off the road and other assorted car nonsense on the the roads.

cheers
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

• arrived OK

Wndows Update was messing with my PC till 2AM so I gave up and I am posting late this morning. Sally and I took the express lane 700 miles, arrived in Kane at 9PM. We did have several stops for gas and munchies and other things, and despite their best efforts in several states, and Sally's eagle eyes, we received no performance awards...

Thanks Nancy, Kurt, Mike Antrim (for the route ideas), MartyH, and all for putting this together. This was Sally's first trip to Iron Horse, she had a great time.

Sorry I didn't get to meet everyone, be sure to say hi next year, with my memory I make new friends all the time, even if Sally says I've known them for years....

TC, thanks for a re-run blast on the Skyway, this time with dry roads, too bad we didn't have some video.

Got the room reserved for next year, see ya'all then!
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

• Made it home late last night. A car accident on 81n at the West Virginia
        And Maryland border cause a backup for miles.

Great rally
        Big thanks to Kurt and nacey ,Marty for doing this
        Mike for working on routes
        Paul for the safety talk
        Ron for rally theme
        Gary and Bruce for Saturday's ride
        We did "find are way back"
        We went old school- blood mt,60,turners corner,stone pile and wolf Penn gap
        Lunch at two's
        80 xs1100G

Comment

• Thanks Scott for all the pics you got it all
          80 xs1100G

Comment

• Made it home this evening at about 6. Had a great time at the rally and a good ride home. A hot 2 days home, but a good ride. It was great to see everyone again. Thanks to all that put this together. Hope to make it next year.
            Mark Stanton

Comment

• Sounds like you all had a great time. I plan of being there next year.
              Darrell
              78E
              80G project
              06FJR

Comment

• Photos on the Dragon

TC,

I saw this photo of you posted on the ADV forum, very cool shot!

Chuck
                Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

• Brian and I had a good two day run home. Managed a piece of the BRP including the high point and a number of tunnels. Overnight in Princeton WV same stop as our trip down. continued hot all the way home.An early start and pushing hard with a couple of shade/water stops I made it home just over 12 hours after leaving Princeton as the last of the daylight was fading. Brian , with a little further to go, would have been an hour later.

Thanks to the organizers for putting another great rally together.
                  Sorry I missed meeting some of you...

Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• http://https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlA_igDQ6...OTS-Yct15DTkMw
                    Here's a OneDrive link to an animated picture from 129Slayer on Wednesday when I rode up the Dragon to the Iron Horse.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• What a Ride!

Longest and best trip for me yet! It was great to meet some faces to go with forum names and chat in person, and see a few I met at XS East.

So many Yamaha XS's there too!

I found the three sets of Sunday photographs on Deals Gap / Tail of Dragon and one set for Saturday on the Cherahola (I think?) Some souvenirs there for sure!

Thanks to the organizers - it was appreciated more than I can express here.

Here is a link to my camera roll for the 6 days.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...GM?usp=sharing
                      '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                      '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                      '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

• https://imgur.com/UYOGVA6
                        Last edited by dbbrian; 09-27-2017, 08:28 PM.
                        '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                        '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                        '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

• Flat tires

Flat tires seem to be the theme this year at Vintage Yamaha SE.

First, Curtis/Rhonda (2ManyBikes) got a flat on his KZ-900 Saturday during the rally. First flat he had ever had.

Then Paul K took on a big staple partway through the Dragon on Sunday. It caused three big holes in his rear tire. Not a good place for service, but our crew was prepared to offer help, along with a nice Dragon photographer.

It was my turn Wednesday night on my way home. I went to see my Mom in Asheville Monday afternoon and came home yesterday. About 25 miles from home, one of my trailer tires blew out:

Fortunately I was prepared, so it wasn't too big a deal.

I probably had this tire close to it's rated weight capacity of ~1000 lbs. I had it inflated to 80 psi per the maximum load rating recommendation. I drove 75 MPH most of the way home. I think I pushed it to overheat, so I will look for replacements without that weak seam in the middle of the circumference.
                          -Mike
                          _________
                          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

• I Knew It Was Too Good To Be True

I'm going back to California on Monday. It's been fun at the rally and Dad's here in Kentucky but the stupidity at home isn't over yet so it's I-40 home to get ahead of the rolling ball of shtuph before it rolls out of control.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              I'm going back to California on Monday. It's been fun at the rally and Dad's here in Kentucky but the stupidity at home isn't over yet so it's I-40 home to get ahead of the rolling ball of shtuph before it rolls out of control.
                              Been in mid to high 60's here, with snow on the Grand Mesa which I can see bout ten miles away from my back yard. So hope weather holds south of here in the Flagstaff area for you and none of that white fluff is an issue at 6,500ft. elev. Least across the Mojave you'll warm up.
                              Last edited by motoman; 09-30-2017, 04:26 PM.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                                Been in mid to high 60's here, with snow on the Grand Mesa which I can see bout ten miles away from my back yard. So hope weather holds south of here in the Flagstaff area for you and none of that white fluff is an issue at 6,500ft. elev. Least across the Mojave you'll warm up.
                                Thanks, Brant. I had planned to do more touring, like seeing the 9/11 monument in New York but that's not happening.
                                -- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X