Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Brent!
    You looked good in that picture!
    Good you got to get at least some of the ride in.

Sorry to hear about the root canal... BTDT!

Prayers sent for your wife.
    Bob
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thanks - OK now, Riding some

Thanks to all for well wishes & prayers. Update:
      Code enforcement- OK... in compliance, case closed.
      Root canal- No charge at entodonist, Tooth cracked, now extracted
      Wife- healthier, getting better and stronger...Keep praying
      Bikes cleaned up and running, still a few new parts to install...

Very good to get back to riding, or some riding & balance of work & fun. I was beginning to get a little PMS. My sympathy to those with cabin fever still in the Great White North.

Concerns; Returning home? -I have not heard anything from the riders in the Keys. I believe some of them may dilly dally in that semi tropical paradise untill Spring. That could be a long time coming to Ottawa. (I noticed Ted & Heather had storage space for extra clothes etc.) I know that Don does not like to ride if temps are below freezing, and it did get cold in Tallassee.

Lost in FL? Not Likely. You cannot ride too far with out coming to the sea or heading North toward home. Still, I know it can be hard to head North. Hearing the siren song the Surf and gators can be almost irrestable. Maybe, like Earl, they have called work; "Hello boss, I am not coming back until spring, or until the blizzard is over...Certainly NOT before the DOT clears some of the snow and reopens the Interstate..." And this year, he knows what he has been missing in FL.

Riders check in. Pics are greatly appreciated.

To those with cabin fever and PMS, stuck in the Great White North; Hang in there. Spring time is coming!
      It is a great big beautiful world out there
      Brent in GA
      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Too much fun

Key West riders just having TOO MUCH FUN ............

Weather has been just FANTASTIC this year.

Brought the usual rain gear and cold weather gear and never used it.
        Look at the Pic. Just mainly BLUE SKY. Temps perfect for riding; not cool & not hot.

XSive Corner at the Super 8 in Florida City
        Grills, Pool and our own corner with palm trees and sitting place plus they treat us great

Our Picnic Stop in the Florida Keys is this good or what?
        Cuba or the Bahamas out there somewhere

Crossing Card Sound through the mangroves to get back to the mainland
        Following Phil & Jonathan while the others took US1

So fun when the weather has been just so perfect.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

A few more pics after taking off from Florida City. Heading westbound across Everglades to Naples & Sarasota
          Rally is over and time for everyone to start their journey home

US41 with Biscayne Bay in the mirror and a Copper Harbor Mich in U.P. 1,975 miles ahead
          > Everglades perimeter canal part of the Everglades water management network
          + has flow control gates so some water can (hopefully) follow natural flow patterns

Riding Tamiami Trail across the Miccosukee Reservation & the Everglades
          > a pleasant ride 100 mile ride with very little traffic, just mega scenery

btw: every time across Miccosukee Reservation on a motorcycle I get tailed by the law.
          This year I was very careful and still got tailed. Last year on the Wing I was just lucky to not get stopped.
          Then once back on FL state land, well you know.

With all the El Nino rains this year the water was HIGH and the birds and alligators gone for the season

As Brent has posted, this really is a stellar road trip and makes for a great Rolling Rally.
          Something to think about for maybe next year if you are interested.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post

Still, I know it can be hard to head North. Hearing the siren song the Surf and gators can be almost irresistible.

Riders check in. Pics are greatly appreciated.
            Yep, since you btdt before, yes its very irresistible indeed.
            Have tried to post a few pics along the way, but don't want to bore with too many

} not to worry, ALL riders accounted for

Back in Georgia to more of those darn sunny skies and nice temps

Now HOME - XS11 did 2,200 miles.
            Only thing the XS11E needed was about 16 fill-ups. Nothing else, just gas. Not even any oil.
            No wrenching at all. Just ride, the way its supposed to be.

Bike is a bit on the ugly looking side but it sure starts easily & runs nice.
            I got 13,000 miles on the Front Tire and 11,000 miles on the Rear Tire.

These Avons have work really well in the mountains and still had 2K left to get me to Key West and back with now feeble 1/32" tread left in the center.
            So these Avon tires got me safely to 2 Key West Rallies (4,400 mi), 4 SE Rallies (3,600 miles) & once to Canada Rally in Brockville 2,500 miles
            + our normal twisty riding around TN, NC, GA, SC.

So now its time to tackle some 'deferred' maintenance like tires, clutch springs, swing arm lube, wheel bearings, new cables + whatever etc.

One thing i messed up was not realizing its NASCAR weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway
            More than a bit of seriously wacko traffic and no good way to get home easily

Jeff
            Last edited by JeffH; 02-28-2016, 06:04 PM.
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Great ride and report Jeff...Thanks for taking us along...Glad y'all had a great time and have made it home safely...
              ps...not too shabby for the venerable XS1100!!!
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yes, it was a great time, good seeing everyone again, excellent pictures Jeff. These XS's will just run forever.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                  Thanks for all the pictures. Nice to see some familiar faces and scenes being repeated. On my wish list for next year.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I was going to mention to those going on Card Sound Road. Just north of the little toll gate where you pay your buck, there's a restaurant called Alabama Jacks that's right on the canal and has some great conch fritters. A side order will feed about 4.. lol. We got to watch Manatees swim by a few weeks ago there.

Maybe next time.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yes indeed, ride through the Largo Hammock is quite nice.
                      We most always ride Card Sound either on the way south or heading back north to the mainland.

At AL Jacks the word "BAR" on the sign seems to attract an eclectic mix of patrons. Funky HD chopper crowd and fisher folk.
                      And since on the mainland side they don't have to pay the $1 buck since its before the toll booth.

XSives paying the $1 buck – make 3rd gear then decelerate into Jacks parking lot on the left

On the rally when we go biking by we either just ate -or- are going to/from somewhere to eat or sleep.
                      Great you stopped to chill & enjoy the ambiance.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                      X