FLORIDA 2016 February RALLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 weeks till Ride Time

Its time to air up the tires, top off the oil and pre-trip the bike.

Three weeks until the Florida Rally.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Bump

the Schedule ................

Originally posted by JeffH View Post

> Friday Feb 19 – Days Inn (east) Silver Springs, FL
      > Saturday Feb 20 – Days Inn (east) Silver Springs, FL
      > Sunday Feb 21 – Knights Inn Punta Gorda, FL
      > Monday Feb 22 – Super 8 Florida City, FL
      > Tuesday Feb 23 – Super 8 Florida City, FL -OR- some staying at Spanish Gardens in Key West
      > Wednesday Feb 24 - Super 8 Florida City, FL
      > Thursday Feb 25 - TBD (ride north depends on peoples schedules)

* Days Inn Silver Springs/Ocala East
      5751 E Silver Springs Blvd, Silver Springs, FL 34488 US

Phone: 1-352-236-2575
      http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/florid...ctions?partner
      AAA & Senior Rate: $85.50
      You can Cancel by 6PM Thurs Feb 18

* Knights Inn Punta Gorda
      9300 Knights Drive, Punta Gorda, FL 33950 US

Phone: 1-941-505-5701
      http://www.knightsinn.com/hotels/flo...ctions?partner
      AAA & Senior Rate: $99
      You can Cancel by 6PM Sat Feb 20

* Super 8 Florida City/Homestead
      1202 N Krome Ave, Take FL Trnpk S to US 1 North, Florida City, FL 33034-2428 US

Phone: 1-305-245-0311
      http://www.super8.com/hotels/florida...ctions?partner
      AAA & Senior Rate: $100.80
      You can Cancel by 6PM Sun Feb 21

Guess that covers the bases for now,
      Jeff
      If you are interest in booking Spanish Gardens in Key West Call 1-888-898-1051 www.spanishgardensmotel.com
      Its like $210 for a double. btw: 2 week cancel policy on this one (sure not the $89 I used to pay)

Rally Events Recap:
      * We will meet up Friday afternoon / evening in Silver Springs
      * Take a Rally Ride on Saturday in the Ocala National Forest and return to Days Inn Silver Springs
      * Sunday mid-morning ride back roads down to Punta Gorda
      * Monday ride back roads to Everglade City for lunch then to Florida City
      * Tuesday down in the Keys or out to Flamingo in Everglades Park depending on what floats your boat
      * Wednesday AM at Florida City, say Adiós & Auf Wiedersehen

Attend if you can or meet up with us along the route.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

In case anyone wants to go down to Key West but doesn't want to spend over $200 for the night, I just contacted the Looe Key resort which is near Summerland Key but actually on Ramrod Key. Don't as me to explain why there are so many Keys.

It's about a 30 minute ride north of Key West. When riding down to KW you can stop by, check in and drop your stuff you don't want to haul down to KW. They have a few rooms left. Single Queen $119 or double queen for $149. Also, they have a 48 hour cancellation policy.

1-877-816-3483. http://www.diveflakeys.com/index.html

Phil and I plan to stay there. We are looking currently at meeting up with everyone over in Punta Gorda on Sunday. Then trying to keep up with you madmen and heading back north probably on Wednesday.

-Jonathan
        Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Oh, and if anyone wants to pick up a 79 special, there is one just south of Punta Gorda. http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcy/5417061396.html

Comment

We have Booked to stay at Looe Key Dive Center on the 23rd.

Packing to leave the Great White (but warm / almost no snow) North mid next week.

Comment

countdown = 9

Its almost time .................
              Not too late to join us if you can make it

Stewart & I will likely meet up late Thursday morning 18th, and ride 300 miles of Georgia back-roads down to 'the Swamp' (Okefenokee). Depends on temps. If 45 or 55 or 65+ degrees? Could be cool -or- could be warm. Or we may just continue on 40 more miles to get into Florida and stay overnight in Lake City. Then day ride on Friday 19th ending up early at Silver Springs for the Meet n' Greet + Rally. Brent won't be able to join us this time

Otherwise i think we are all set as planned and previously posted. Silver Springs Rally 19-20-21 then ride back-roads to Punta Gorda Sunday 21. Maybe walk around + sunset grub somewhere downtown on the Esplanade overlooking Charlotte Harbor if we feel like it. Monday 22 Ride to Everglade City then Florida City. Tuesday to Key West (some staying Spanish Gardens, others Looe Key Dive Shop & Motel). Wednesday its back to Florida City and maybe out to Flamingo for sunset ride. Thursday AM we split up and head north to wherever we are going.

So that's the update. Opportunity to ride or maybe meet up with us along the way. Never got around to fixing the dangling wires - fuses in the XS11 fuse box. So may ride something other than xs. Have had the T.C. fuse box sitting there but now running out of time to install it & do some other deferred maintenance.

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Phil helped me when I changed out my fuse box to the 6 way from Del City. Same I think as T.C. I also got a bunch of blue 90 degree terminal ends which made it pretty easy. I think it took us about an hour to replace it. Was able to hook up my accessory lights and stereo through it. Previously I had just in line blade fuse holders which was better than how it was when I first got the bike.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Punta Gorda in a couple of weeks. Sorry to hear Brent won't be along for the ride. Been several years since we rode together.

Comment

Have arrived in Kingsland, Ga. Will take a couple of days to relax and then set out to tour before meeting the guys at Silver Springs. Enjoyed the drive today from 31F near Wilson NC to 77F is a welcome change.

Comment

Heading South

Just about time to ride ..............

Atlanta Meet Point: Thursday Feb 18th @ 10:30
                    I-20 at GA 124 Turner Hill @ Stonecrest Mall Chick-fil-A
                    Then easy 250 miles on back roads down to Valdosta GA

North Florida Meet Point: Friday Feb 19th @ 11:30
                    in Mayo FL @ FL20 / US27 439 East Main Subs & More (but hold the Mayo )
                    From there easy 120 mile after lunch ride on back roads down to Silver Springs

Looking like Sunny and 75 for the Rally weekend and the Key West ride.
                    Good opportunity to ride if you can join us.
                    No rain gear, just sunscreen.

Got to get the carbs back on my XS before I can head to Key West. Bleed the rear brake too. Then test ride this afternoon.
                    If its not good i'll just have to wing it so to speak.
                    Otherwise got new AGM battery and finally found some replacement rubber for the highway pegs and re-did the bolts and retainers on the pacifico nose mount bracket.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

So jelly!!!
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hi Jeff
                        I hope you can get the XS in good enough shape to go.
                        Having the Wing in the wings sure takes the pressure off

and to all the lucky participants,
                        Have an excellent rally. Good safe riding to you all.

Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Going to Plan B
                          Got the carbs back on the 11E. Runs really nice. Header pipe temps heat up, then peak, at very consistent temps across all four pipes.
                          Needs sync but its pretty close. Out 1 3/4 turns on the screws. Starts and runs fine.

But getting an occasional pop / backfire like happens with a bad pickup coil wire or some other electrical gremlin.
                          I replaced the upper p/u coil wires a year ago (guess that's orange & grey) but something sure seems to be shorting intermittently for nano-second that is creating an intermittent spark with pop / backfire. Likely the lower p/u coil wires or connection failing.
                          (was riding last week and after a pop that blew the #4 vacuum stopper with clamp; thought I got hit in the leg with a rock it blew off with such velocity)

So leaving Thursday on 2,000 mile ride with known gremlin seems dumb. I will check the p/u wires again (did that last week) then ride it a bit tomorrow just to confirm.
                          Since i'm getting short on time i think it prudent to ride the backup bike to Florida and leave the 11E safely in the garage till i can take a serious look at the wires.

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Probably just needs the idle mixture properly adjusted and to be synced Jeff.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That's a bit of a PITA fix on the side of the road, but mostly just aggravating. If you decide to go XS, I'm in position to drop off the required tools.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Possible its the sync so if there is time tomorrow i'll try it. Just don't want to tempt fate with an electrical breakdown.
                                or messing with pickup coil wires during the trip

But 'other bike' will do the job too. Its ready to GO (plus hauls more junk) .............

Jeff
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X