No announcement yet.

XS Southeast 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a few hours my hands and arms didn't really want to work in the cold but the really fun and entertaining part of I-70 was passing trucks and/or crossing a bridge in the wind. It didn't take long to figure out that if I wanted to live long enough to make it to Denver that I should not be on a bridge and anywhere near a truck: pass a truck or cross a bridge but not both at the same time!

Trying to not play tag with the big trucks took some timing and patience. The trucks were all heeled over to port and tacking dogtailed in the wind like segmented multi-ton sailing ships that would suddenly snap upright and straighten out and shift the other way when the wind cut or switched direction. The trailer(s) would swing around and try to bat me like a baseball, drive over me or pull me underneath and it was hard to stay upright and at least somewhere still in my lane and on the road as I cleared the front end of the tractor.

Crossing bridges was even more fun and a roll of the dice even without the trucks. When the wind goes over a bridge span and/or hits the concrete K-barriers it speeds up, slow downs, changes direction or all of the above all at the same time, lifting the me and the bike completely off of the pavement a few times and dropping us few feet in some random direction that was rarely still in my lane but mostly still on the road and, fortunately, still on top of the span.

Then there are those barricades every so many miles that are used to close off the Interstate and the huge signs with the flashing lights warning that when the road is closed, violators (read: survivors) will be prosecuted.

And it's really not even Winter yet....

Last edited by 3Phase; 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Scott it was great to meet you at the Iron horse...Awesome ride you have had as well..Glad you are home safe...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Finally after a month offline at home...here are my pics you can arrange the pics in order from oldest first...it may not already be that way..
        http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/st...48146403445533
        Last edited by madmax-im; 11-04-2013, 02:58 PM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• you are so friggin artistic Ben
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

• Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
            you are so friggin artistic Ben
            naturally I bring out the best in people....
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
              you are so friggin artistic Ben

You didn't spell autistic right, Potter.

naturally I bring out the best in people

Scary that this is the best I'm going to geth then, huh, Ben? lol
              Last edited by trbig; 11-05-2013, 10:50 AM.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• Double post.. Awesome internet at work. lol
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  You didn't spell autistic right, Potter.
                  Didn't want to hurt his feeling. I knew you would step up...
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

• now now boys...pickin' on the curmudgeon aint gonna getcha any brownie points... (and a few smilies that wont work here)
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Well, what do you think, should I keep using it? Ha ha ha ha

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• [QUOTE=BA80;426064]Well, what do you think, should I keep using it? Ha ha ha ha QUOTE]

Sure, it's a not so gentle reminder to PAY ATTENTION when you ride

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

• Yeah, your absolutely right about that Potter. The more I think about it that's exactly what happened.

I remember going into the corner set up good and being comfortable with it and tapping the inside of the apex and beginning to drift back out. I was so comfortable I don't even remember anything else until I glanced down in front of the bike just as I left the road. I wasn't even scared because I didn't have time to realize what was happening.

I really don't know what happened except the road disappeared. I just was totally not thinking about what I was doing. On auto pilot.

I was completely my fault for losing concentration.

DUMB ASS!!!!!!
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            Yeah, your absolutely right about that Potter. The more I think about it that's exactly what happened.

I remember going into the corner set up good and being comfortable with it and tapping the inside of the apex and beginning to drift back out. I was so comfortable I don't even remember anything else until I glanced down in front of the bike just as I left the road. I wasn't even scared because I didn't have time to realize what was happening.

I really don't know what happened except the road disappeared. I just was totally not thinking about what I was doing. On auto pilot.

I was completely my fault for losing concentration.

DUMB ASS!!!!!!
                            That's what the guy behind you said. "He was doing fine, and then just drove off the road for no apparent reason." I'm just glad you're still with us!
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

• Yeah, I don't know Marty. It's strange, I remember entering that turn and the next thing is going off the road. Wasn't like I blacked out or anything like that, I just got preoccupied with another thought or something.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Greg you were on one of the more technical roads that day so don't beat yourself up too bad over it...you do need to be more vigilant...a road like that...one can never let their guard down...Live and learn...Like Marty said...just glad you're still with us...
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X