XS Southeast 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
    Motoman got his Venturer fixed up? Now there is no excuse not to have another Durango Rally! Had someone comment on my Durango Rally short yesterday about being from Colorado and how pretty it was and I started thinking about Colorado again....

John
    Not a problem John!.......can be arranged on short notice. Besides, two or more qualifies a rally , right? Lots of good ridin' from my place to there left and not repeat the same area twice as you well know. BTW, Scott just left here @ 11am for a relaxed ride to Beaverton, Utah on his way back home the 850mi. left on his journey that should hit the 5500mi. range.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Yeah, I might have to accompany JW on a trip up there if things work out. All I've been doing is headed north and east, I could stand a little west in the mix.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Durango

You can count me in.
        I just have to decide which bike to bring.
        Keep me informed..
        Joe
        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          Colorado and how pretty it was and I started thinking about Colorado again.... John
          I'm ALWAYS thinking of Colorado. Its been a couple years since I've had the bike there and am ready for more.
          (was there last year for a tour in the car with the mrs. but car ain't a bike!!)

I avoid taking the "Brent Blast" on I-40 and find US412 or US160 over a couple days a more fun way to get to CO. So, I'm certainly interested in a 14' Rally too! Since Scott rode all the way from Simi Valley to join us in NC; I got no excuse not to try and make a rally in CO.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Aahh! A nice room, shower, a hot meal and a little something from Beaver Liquor (You! In the back there! Stop snickering! ) and all is good; should be home tomorrow.

Durango sounds like a plan, count me in too!

-- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
              I'm ALWAYS thinking of Colorado. Its been a couple years since I've had the bike there and am ready for more.
              (was there last year for a tour in the car with the mrs. but car ain't a bike!!)

I avoid taking the "Brent Blast" on I-40 and find US412 or US160 over a couple days a more fun way to get to CO. So, I'm certainly interested in a 14' Rally too! Since Scott rode all the way from Simi Valley to join us in NC; I got no excuse not to try and make a rally in CO.

Jeff
              Hi Jeff,
              See how easy it would be with $100M also want to see Colorado
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Nice, you all are way to coopertive as you were three summers ago, but the state speaks for itself. So, with that said, first part of the year I'll figure out if we'd do one outa' here in GrandJunction(Grand Mesa for a ride over 10,000ft. some 30min. from here, The BlackCanyon of the GunnisonRiver southeast of here, or over Independance Pass east of here above Aspen,Co.). or out of Durango again with some thrown in different rides to mix it up from three summers ago........to be continued in the future in the Rally section.......
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                  and all is good; should be home tomorrow. .
                  Scott,

Last guy out from the SE Rally. THANKS for joining us at the Iron Horse. What an adventure indeed!!
                  Hope you run that last leg home from UT with no traffic hassles like the "Cucamonga Crawl" or the "Pasadena Poke" getting across to Simi V. 5,500 miles is not a ride or trip, that's an epic journey.

Hope you mom doesn't need new brakes already or had to go to Midas in your absence. ooh.... Glad you made the run eastbound an iron butt
                  and decided to keep rolling all the way to NC.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Back Home and Safe

What's this? A keyboard?

A keyboard instead of a mobile phone keypad? How does this thing work?

Oh, it's MY keyboard! (Snoopy-dance)

I got home around 6:30 PM Pacific-whatever-time-it-is-here-now so thanks, Jeff, Marty, y'all put on a good show. Now it's time to go look around the house and see what broke while I was gone.

-- Scott
                    _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Glad you made it home safe Scott. If you get back in town, be happy to meet up again. Maybe next time I can break away for a ride.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

• How You Doing?

Greg,

You've been home for a little while now. So how are you healing up? Going to make to the 2014 Rally? Or is too early to tell?

Mike
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                          What's this? A keyboard?

A keyboard instead of a mobile phone keypad? How does this thing work?

Oh, it's MY keyboard! (Snoopy-dance)

I got home around 6:30 PM Pacific-whatever-time-it-is-here-now so thanks, Jeff, Marty, y'all put on a good show. Now it's time to go look around the house and see what broke while I was gone.

Got your phone message. Thanks for the call, and glad your home safe!

( enter,enter......cool). Good that the tire got you there with no incident, considering the speed limit had been bumped up to 80mph out that direction unknowingly since I last traveled it!

Comment

• So, I think everyone is accounted for. I hope to see all of you in September!
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

• "Six-two and even, over and out!"

You know, if I do this again I think I'll take the bus, "Wake me when we get there..." and rent a bike.

The Weather Channel and I are going to have a little talk about wind speed. "68 degrees with WNW winds up to 10 mph" indeed! I saw a turtle that chained itself to a fence post hanging on for dear life! It was colder crossing Kansas and Colorado with the wind off the Rockies than it was in Oakhurst during the winter and riding over pass out of Denver on the '70 was positively balmy even though everything in the Eisenhower Tunnel was frozen solid and they were making fresh snow with the snow machines when I came out the Western end of the tunnel.

When I lived in Oakhurst I used to ride until the the ice was too thick in the morning to chip off of the bike and the snow got deep enough to high-center and it ceased moving forward under its own power, then I'd put the bike in the living room and tear it down to the frame for inspection/maintenance so I would not and could not ride it until Spring. Did I mention that it was cold crossing Kansas?

5732 miles for the trip, 7527 miles on the ME-88 rear tire and according to my handy-dandy Harbor Freight digital caliper it has an entire 3/128ths of tread left before the wear bars. Nothing on Columbo or at home broke while I was out on the road (I know!) so I have about 75,000 miles and 5 years on the rebuilt engine -- YES! <arm pump>

Well, I did kind of melt the cigarette lighter in the fairing while I was at motoman's but that was self-inflicted. We traded bikes after going on a mini-rally ride with Jerry to see some giant horses made out of hammered copper plates and he said it felt like the back end was wobbling in corners at ~75mph. I reset the swingarm bearings just to make sure they were good and I covered the fuel tank with my jacket to protect it while I reset the new bearings in the triple tree. I must have leaned on the fairing and the jacket held the lighter pushed down so I had to buy another lighter. Stuff happens....

-- Scott
                              _____

Comment

• Thing of it is Scott, there's nothing between Canada and I 70 to even slow down that north wind. Drove that highway a few years back in a mini van and I think I was on 2 wheels more than I was on 4. And yes, it was COLD.
                                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X