Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
    CZ you are correct. Its more of a drip.

My driveway would get spots after parking extended time. Oil level wasnt dropping, checked MD and voilá.

Cant tell exactly where, hence need to track it down. Guess down 2 oz over 2 months. Mileage didnt seem to matter as it leaked even when not driven.

John
    Here's what I would do. Get a clean piece of cardboard, and park the bike on the center stand after a ride. Put the cardboard under the bike, and come out the next morning and see where a verticle line, centered on the drip, meets the bike.
    The drain for the MD is up underneath the engine, in a cavity, sort of to the right of center. There aren't to many places that it will leak to the out side. You might pull the front of the u-joint boot, and run yout finger around in there, and smell what ever oil you find in there. Hypoid oil has a real distinct, or distinked, smell, and if the output shaft seal is leaking, it will be inside the boot. Some of the boots have a drain hole in the bottom that lets whatever fluid is inside drain out. Except sometimes the hole gets crudded up, and it won't drain.
    Let us know what you find out, helps fill the data base, dontchya know.

CZ

Comment

Finally time to Order our "Nantahala" Shirts

LAST CHANCE IF YOU WANT A SHIRT .......

Our Nantahala Rally is coming up in a little over 3 weeks. -AND- it is finally time for me to place the order for our shirts. If you want to buy a shirt and be added to the order please let me know asap. I will place the order noon on Wed Sept 5th. After that it's too late, and ain't having any extras. Got 47 takers so far. $12 Short Sleeve - $15 Long Sleeve. If you can't make the SE Rally but still want one then I'll ship to you. Shipping is extra $3.
      (note: everyone that has already Posted or PM'd myself or Marty AS OF Today SEPT 3 is already on the order)

I hear the bikes are about ready and everybody is getting 'Ready to Ride'. See you at the Iron Horse or on some other ride soon. Ride Safe.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

i would like a long sleeve 2xl please ! i think i may have informed you of this earlier thanks ,,mo
        The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
        moemcnally@hotmail.com
        i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Slow Mo is on the list. Going once!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

If I can't get this electrical issue fixed, I'll have to cancel, but I'll still get you money for the shirts either way.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              If I can't get this electrical issue fixed, I'll have to cancel, but I'll still get you money for the shirts either way.
              That sounds like a prelude to a backout.....
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Tod,

I'm confident you can fix anything that goes wrong with that bike.

Going twice.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Surely Greg has a spare bike!

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    Tod,

I'm confident you can fix anything that goes wrong with that bike.

Been trying over a month now and less than that to go. Mechanical problems are easy. These electrical problems kill me. Not going to ride a bike a thousand miles from home I can't trust. I trailered it to the ride this last weekend and that was less than 150 miles from the house. Nobody can seem to figure out what the crap is wrong.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Like I said, swap out the harness. I know your looking to put another one together but that's another bridge.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

GONE!!! The order is going to the printer now.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Got Shirts!

I picked up the Rally Shirts from the printer this AM.

For those that placed orders including shipping, I will box & ship those over the next few days. Rest of the Shirts that were ordered will be available at the Rally.

See y'all soon,
                          Jeff

78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Ship confirmed

Originally posted by JeffH View Post

For those that placed orders including shipping, I will box & ship those over the next few days. Rest of the Shirts that were ordered will be available at the Rally.

UPDATE: I actually "SHIPPED" the shirts today (Wed). Guess I over estimated my 'available' time while watching three kids. 1 1/2 year old, 5 year old & 9 year old kept me hopping. Was really fun, but four days of WOT from 6am till 9pm just tuckered me out. You should get your shirt/(s) in the mail in 2 or 3 days.

fyi, I just dropped off the remaining Shirts that will be picked up at the Rally with Mrs jetmechmarty so she can tote them over the mountain. Not going to "Name Names here" but she also is tote'n some beer that I bought for a couple un-named individuals (likely you can guess who).

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                            X