XSive Rider's @ Iron Horse 2012

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • trbig
    replied
    Trucks don't bother me too much. If they decide to drive side by side for too long, I pass them on the shoulder and go on. I'm thinking EASIEST route is best, and sounds to me like the route through I-40 would be that. Thanks for the info.

    Leave a comment:


  • JeffH
    replied
    Originally posted by trbig
    So it looks like the most direct route for us to come in on Friday takes us down the Tail of the Dragon. Should we come another way? Is this road going to be ride-able on a Friday afternoon, or cluttered with all-show-no-go posers?
    Yes, that is probably your best bet if you are taking I-40 into Knoxville. Dragon should NOT be an issue.

    To avoid goofy traffic in Knoxville or over in Alcoa / Maryville you might want to consider going south on I-75 a few miles down to TN 72 Loudon then taking that South to US411 up to US129. It depends on what time of day you are coming though. I-40 to I-140 may not be too messy, but Alcoa is messy any afternoon.

    Only other deal (which is a nice ride) would be US64 out of Memphis. That rolls along most of the way on divided highway. And is scenic, but got to go through a few small towns that adds 5-10 minutes each. That way you would run over to I-24 at Monteagle TN then I-24 to I-75 in Chattanooga and I-75 to Cleveland TN to get on US64. Andrews NC, Robbinsville TN then over to Stecoah. I40 is packed with semi's. US64 is about the same mileage but would add an hour to your day, but no semi's. However Knoxville & Dragon likely a is faster unless you hit a traffic jam. Watch your speed leaving Memphis.



    Hope that helps,
    Jeff
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • trbig
    replied
    So it looks like the most direct route for us to come in on Friday takes us down the Tail of the Dragon. Should we come another way? Is this road going to be ride-able on a Friday afternoon, or cluttered with all-show-no-go posers?

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by newc4
    I'm riding down with my neighbor, Burr. We intend to depart DC Thu around7:00PM and overnight in Lexington. Think that'll leave about 400 miles to IH on Fri. We'll probably roll in around dinnertime.

    Finally get to see Brent and his mythical white XS.
    its not mythical...its legendary

    Leave a comment:


  • MPittma100
    replied
    On Sunday's Ride

    For those of you who are going to make the Sunday ride to Deals Gap to "tame" the Tail of the Dragon, be certain to refrain from making a contribution to "The Tree of Shame".

    The name says it all. This big ole tree is loaded up with "spare bike parts". These parts came off of peoples bikes that they could not reattach due to being broken, bent, and/or MBR (mangled beyond recognition).

    But do be sure to stop and look at it. It is very interesting. Don't forget to get you a couple of the Dragon decals in the store.

    MP

    Leave a comment:


  • trbig
    replied
    Thanks, but that will clash with my OU shirt.

    Leave a comment:


  • jwhughes3
    replied
    I do have some burnt orange 3mm bungee cord that can be used and not leave you sticky if need be.

    John

    Leave a comment:


  • trbig
    replied
    I've got big rubber bands that will work and won't leave a bunch of "sticky residue" all over your pants and make it look like you stayed in a tent with Greg or something..

    Leave a comment:


  • jwhughes3
    replied
    I've got some nice orange duct tape with white longhorns for you. If you had thought to text or ask me before leaving home I would have brought you some blousing straps.

    The longhorn tape is more stylish though so I may have said I forgot them just to see you wear it.

    John

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by trbig
    Does anyone have access to or passing a military base have plans to stop in? If so, I'm needing a pair of (black preferably) blousing straps like we used to use that is an elastic strip that attaches to the bottom of your shirt and the top of your socks. I've misplaced my rain pants and had to buy a new set, but I use those to attach to the bottoms to make a stirrup that goes under my boot to keep my pant legs from flying up. Nobody in town here seems to have them.

    Thanks in advance.. but if nobody comes up with any, I'll be OK.
    in a pinch...duct tape...

    Leave a comment:


  • trbig
    replied
    Being prepared helps make that happen...

    I haven't washed or polished my bike in months, and I'll have all my rain gear, so we should be set for great weather!

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    It's not going to rain.

    Leave a comment:


  • trbig
    replied
    Does anyone have access to or passing a military base have plans to stop in? If so, I'm needing a pair of (black preferably) blousing straps like we used to use that is an elastic strip that attaches to the bottom of your shirt and the top of your socks. I've misplaced my rain pants and had to buy a new set, but I use those to attach to the bottoms to make a stirrup that goes under my boot to keep my pant legs from flying up. Nobody in town here seems to have them.

    Thanks in advance.. but if nobody comes up with any, I'll be OK.

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by trbig
    So let me get this straight. We'll be getting there Friday afternoon, and leaving Monday morning, so is everyone eating there Friday evening, Saturday morning, Saturday night and Sunday morning? Am I correct that most wanted to go find a different location for Sunday evening? Also, I guess I'll make an order for Monday morning unless they want to leave out earlier than that. We can discuss that after we get there.

    Also, does the IH have a problem with me skipping their iced tea and bringing in a beer or three to wash down dinner with? (Or for Greg to wash down his breakfast..) lol.
    Breakfasts you can fill out an order form the night before so it looks like dinner at the IH Fri night and sat night...there is no option at the IH for dinner Sun. so that means we're on our own but I'm kinda sure they will have breakfast...I'm planning to leave Mon a.m....
    And substituting beer is fine but I'm pretty sure we're in a dry county so you'd have to buy beer in Bryson City...

    Leave a comment:


  • jwhughes3
    replied
    He said "mythical".

    Hehe.

    John

    Leave a comment:

Working...