XSive Rider's @ Iron Horse 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Tod, Greg, and the others from out west,

Upon Marty's urgings, I editted and uploaded a video clip I made from the 2003 Ga. Rally, it's on YouTube, I posted it in the Facebook XS Southeast group, but I'll post the link here as well.

**Was OLD VIDEO YOUTUBE LINK** I went back to Youtube and went thru the verification process and am uploading it again, it should be available at this link:

http://youtu.be/AoJbv1QMFWo

It's 19 minutes long, a description is on the clip, but not sure if it will show that or just the clip. The 1st 3 minutes of the clip is just the ride from the Dam up to the entrance to the Gap run, you'll see the gas station and bikes on the right side as we pass by. It was late in the afternoon, so the sun is in our faces a bit. I had an old Super8 camcorder attached to a bracket on my handlebars(GodzillaCam), mounted behind my windscreen which actually allowed it to capture the engine sounds and such fairly well vs. just a bunch of wind noise. The YouTube conversion causes the audio to sound a bit funny, but it's still tolerable, along with the MUSIC soundtrack I put behind it as well. I had not been running the twisties for very long before attending this rally, and I was already a bit tired from several hours of riding before we got there, so my handling was not as smooth and precise as it could have been. Anyways, enough excuses, hope you enjoy it, and that it gives you an idea of the caliber of the roads in that area!

T.C.

Well SHIITE!!!!!!! I just tried the link, and it says it's been removed because it's too long....and this was after I clicked on a link they had for uploading videos longer than 15 minutes, had to put in my cell phone #, they sent me a text message with a 6 digit code # that I entered to verify that the account was under MY control to allow uploading the longer video, and then they removed it!!??

It's LATE...2 am, I'm going to bed, I'll try again tomorrow, will have to cut the clip in 2 parts to fit their criteria!!! Bastards!!

PSS, if it doesn't work, I don't know what's going on!? I'm going to bed!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• The link worked fine TC. Thanks.

Looks a little flatter than we are used to. I hope the traffic isn't as heavy when we get there. Can't wait to meet and ride with y'all. Ivan said he might come along too if he doesn't have any classes or tests then that he needs to be there for.

Getting ready for the trip. I just ordered a new set of tires, got a new modular hemet last week. now I have to get out there and get my 2nd gear fixed. It started slipping a little when I'm HARD on it. I have a good set of gears I just gotta get them swapped out
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Getting ready for the trip.

I just bought a BIG tent; a 3 room XL vacation lodge 11x20. Tod is planning to share it with me. There is room for 'some' more people. (advisory - snoring competition is scheduled to begin at 0100). I can haul tent on back seat of xs11, or fit it into top box on Buell, barely.

I rode HWY 129 "tail of the dragon" Sunday afternoon almost 2 weeks ago. It was good. I agree that early would be better (before the 2 up cruisers come out.) There are now many paved pull off places. Many photographers etc. Tree of shame still loaded with broken bike parts, most not good enough for a Rat Bike, some marked RIP. A link to Deals Gap shows many pictures, maps, curve names, and fatality sights. Seems like over a dozen MC fatalities in that 11 mile stretch. Speed limit has been lowered, but still fun enough around tight curves with out earning a big "performance award".

Hwy 28, the "Hell Bender", No professional photographers, No LEOs, little traffic, twisty and Still posted at 55. As much fun as I can stand, with no chance of a speeding ticket in the many tight curves. perhaps a ride report is in order.
        It is a great big beautiful world out there
        Brent in GA
        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
          I just bought a BIG tent; a 3 room XL vacation lodge 11x20. Tod is planning to share it with me. There is room for 'some' more people. (advisory - snoring competition is scheduled to begin at 0100). I can haul tent on back seat of xs11, or fit it into top box on Buell, barely.

I rode HWY 129 "tail of the dragon" Sunday afternoon almost 2 weeks ago. It was good. I agree that early would be better (before the 2 up cruisers come out.) There are now many paved pull off places. Many photographers etc. Tree of shame still loaded with broken bike parts, most not good enough for a Rat Bike, some marked RIP. A link to Deals Gap shows many pictures, maps, curve names, and fatality sights. Seems like over a dozen MC fatalities in that 11 mile stretch. Speed limit has been lowered, but still fun enough around tight curves with out earning a big "performance award".

Hwy 28, the "Hell Bender", No professional photographers, No LEOs, little traffic, twisty and Still posted at 55. As much fun as I can stand, with no chance of a speeding ticket in the many tight curves. perhaps a ride report is in order.
          I HOPE you bought a bigger air mattress too Brent. I kinda felt sorry for you sleeping on that kiddie pool floatie last time.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Brent... Harry said he might go. I left you a message on your phone a while ago. I'm sure he'd be happy to chip in on the tent costs if there's room. I need to call the hotel and see if/how much they'll rent out a pillow and bedding for. I'll be bringing an air mattress.

I don't care what time tihe snoring competition starts. I've got ear plugs and don't care to be a judge..
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
              Hwy 28, the "Hell Bender", No professional photographers, No LEOs, little traffic, twisty and Still posted at 55. As much fun as I can stand, with no chance of a speeding ticket in the many tight curves.
              That was about my favorite road when I was down there Brent. Wasn't interested in the dragon, totally skipped it as there are plenty of as good and safer choices.
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

• I had not been running the twisties for very long before attending this rally

For someone who puts 25 miles a year on their bike, TC, you did just fine! lol.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• space in tent

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Brent... Harry said he might go. I left you a message on your phone a while ago. I'm sure he'd be happy to chip in on the tent costs if there's room. I need to call the hotel and see if/how much they'll rent out a pillow and bedding for. I'll be bringing an air mattress.

I don't care what time tihe snoring competition starts. I've got ear plugs and don't care to be a judge..
                  Tod,
                  Good you are bringing an air mattress. The bigger one I got is just like the old one, except for a child 8" taller. Tent is big enough for 3 queen size mattresses or 10 kiddie pool floats.

Plenty of room for Harry. I have extra child size surf rider float too.
                  It is a great big beautiful world out there
                  Brent in GA
                  Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

• Harry snores out the OTHER end. They had to repaint the room we were in in Winona. When we went back the next year we were put in that same room so as not to cause more damage.

Even the neighbors ran outside for a breath.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Saturday Rally Route

Took a test ride yesterday to finalize the Saturday Fall XS Rally route and restaurant. Met up with Brent and Marty then headed to North Carolina.

Guess Brent thought that proposed route was a winner!

our planned Saturday lunch stop in Cashiers NC

Scrutinizing the Menu ...... and Marty knows his BBQ

Lunch plate should satisfy the hunger till Dinner.

Seal of Approval from Brent, need we say more!!!

Photo Op with 3 XS11's (bring yours and join us here on Sept 29)

well, Marty insisted on the pic. like me, my project bike is a bit ugly but got it running strong (unlike me).

Nice scenic part of the ride after some demanding technical stuff

putt-putt down the highway

I thought "every curve" was dangerous if you couldn't get around it

Expecting a Great Rally.... Ever seen a happier rider?? (great pants too)

We are looking forward to seeing you on Sept 28th at the Iron Horse.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Those of you coming for the first time are in for a treat! I'm excited about it.

The barbecue joint is good. They can handle the whole lot of us, the atmosphere is perfect, the food is excellent, and it is very inexpensive. I think that plate of ribs is less than $7. The Carolina Smokehouse

We checked out some roads that most of us have never ridden. We have some serious technical stuff mixed with grand vistas! We'll ice it with a cruise on the BRP with photo ops.

Jeff's bike has some ugly on it, but it goes like stink! Check out the chicken wire headlight bucket and the missing paint. Under the ugly is a Traxxion Dynamics suspension and a perfectly tuned 1100E. Good luck trying to chase him down!

We're in for a great weekend! Don't forget to check out the tee shirt thread and the Facebook page.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

• Good pics Jeff. Wish I could get down there with you guys.
                          80 SG
                          81 SH in parts
                          99 ST1100
                          91 ST1100

Comment

• I can hardly wait. I have new tires and brakes on the XS I'm ready to test out.
                            Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
                            Current rides:
                            80 XS1100SG
                            82 JX1100
                            83 Venture Royale
                            86 V-Max

Comment

• So now there are two earls...
                              " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                              xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                              8mm msd wires
                              tkat fork brace...
                              Fox shocks...
                              mikes650 front fender
                              led's gallore...
                              renthal bars
                              gold valve emulators
                              vmax tensioner
                              Rifle fairing

Comment

• I know one of them.... I guess I am the new Earl. Looking forward meeting everyone at Ironhorse.

Earl Haddock
                                80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                                and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Working...
                                X