Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride Report 2003 Rally

Day 1 and 2:
    Let's see how do I start? The trip down was fairly uneventful with my new Alpine stereo, JVC 12 disc MP3 changer and over 800 albums on MP3 providing most of the entertainment. Bruce requested some stuff I had but never really listened to before, so the time flew by until we hit the mountains in NC, and my new front brakes locked up on the passenger wheel. This really didn't cause too much of a delay...we had to get some scubby pads to clean the rotor and then cooled it slowly with ice until it freed up, then we stopped for diner and arrived in Suches about 8pm. (22 hours on the road for me) I was a bit frazzeled since I had only slept about 3 hours in the last 36, a few cold brews perked me up however and the usual BS sessions and hellos comenced. It was great meeting all the new faces and seeing all the familiar ones. Next day we were up early to unpack and unload the bikes for a run up 180 (Wolfpen gap road) before the mornng riders meeting. Bruce found out his front axel never got tightened up after the new tires were put on, and both of us found out that you can't see the corners with the sun in your eyes as our matching skid marks will attest to. What a great road.

We all split up for rides on Saturday, Bruce and I went with the advanced group on the longer ride. Ride rules for this group were simple:

1. We would be passing on the double yellow.
    2. We would be exceeding the posted speed limits in all cases, especially corners.
    3. We would be scraping parts of our bikes on a regular basis.
    4. XSive use of the throttle was not only accepted but was encouraged.
    5. All of the above was to be done safely.

We did some great stuff! GA Rt. 60, Cherohola Skyway, Deal's Gap, Rt 19 through the Nantahala Gorge, Wayah Bald Road, etc. and had an absolute blast!! I actually scraped both footpegs on the Bandit and the centerstand on both sides. Later we had dinner (Bruce had double hot chili - hot going in and hot going out) and a few more beers with Rob and the gang and hit the sack to dream about another full day of mountain twisties.

Day 3:
    A short but intense ride through about 100 miles of great twisties was planned with the entire group, this was actually pretty enjoyable and we got to meet some of the riders who went on the short loop the day before. I also got to ride Dave's new R1 on Wolfpen Gap Road. (Ride report coming) Dave said my Bandit felt like a moped and that Bruce's XS felt like a Harley compared to his R1.......Hmm not too sure about that!! A few guys bugged out early the rest of us took our time and packed up and said our goodbyes. This was the end of the weekend for most guys but Bruce and I were heading up to Cherokee NC to hang out at my friends Motel for 4 more days. Wa-hoo!!

Stay tuned for more!
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Day 4

We had two objectives to accomplish, one was to see Bridal Veil Falls and the other was to get a wheel in South Carolina. After the usual all-you-can-eat breakfast at Bob's Big Boy, we planned a route that took us out of Cherokee on 19 and eventually on 28 to Franklin, this is an especially great piece of road that is wide and has awesome corners at grade, we were pleased to find that there we very little traffic to contend with. Once through Franklin the traffic picked up since this was a 'Leaf-Peeper' route though the national forest. We easily (but reluctantly) switched from corner carvers to sight seers and were treated to some great waterfalls and fall colors. First stop was Cullasaja Falls.

Then on to Dry Falls, (not sure why it is called dry falls but you can walk under it and stay dry):

Bruce under the falls:

Veiw from the other side:

Next stop was Bridal Veil Falls, this one you could drive under!!

Here is Bruce taking the plunge:

And here I am driving under:

We were looking for a cool twisty road into SC and I ended up taking the wrong road (we ended up in GA!) but the road had some great scenic veiws and yet another falls. So we really did not mind taking this road.
      Great veiws!

Fall colors!

One real treat was finding Glen Falls, it was a mile down a dirt road and then probably a 1/4 mile walk to the actual falls. The veiwing platform puts you right at the top of the falls and the vista across the valley is breathtaking.

Bruce decided the veiw from here was not good enough and hopped the fence and climbed a huge rock in the middle of the stream. I figured since I had the camera I should join him out on the rock. We took this picture from the top of the falls:

After this we got back on track to SC and took Route 178 toward Pickins. we never made it all the way to Pickins though because the next fall we encountered was me falling off my bike!! Yep, I punted the Bandit! I can come up with all kinds of excuses, but the lady who came out of the house informed me 'that a lot of motorcycles crash here' we saw at least 3 single track motorcycle skids leading off the road here. Plenty of cosmetic damage to bike and I have some bruised ribs, sore shoulder and spot of road rash on my knee. The right gear saved me from more serious injury. After 5 minutes of whining, Bruce convinced me the bike was OK to ride and we continued on our way...I wanted to get into SC and was still 8/10 of a mile short. Here are a couple of pictures of the damage:

After the ride into SC, I decided that a trip to the ER might not be such a bad idea (since my ribs really hurt now) so we drove an hour and a half back to the only hospital I could remember passing. They informed me I am going to be OK, and supplied me with pain meds I could drive with and since the bike is drivable, ......this was definatley minor as far as this type of get off goes. As an added bonus, I was very comfortable on the bike. We topped off the night with a trip to a super BBQ joint (had awesome gumbo) and a moonlight run along the Thorpe Reservoir. I AM GOING TO HURT IN THE MORNING.
      Gary Granger

Comment

Day 5

500 yards! That is how far from the edge bed I thought I was, it took me an hour to find the edge and stand up. Every movement was sledgehammer of pain. As bad as I hurt the thought of not riding today was hurting me more, so after I loosened up a bit, I toughed it up and we took the daily pilgrimage to the Bob's Big Boy for breakfast. I found out quickly that it only hurt when I walked, breathed or especially laughed. I would have try to limit my walking and breathing then .

Since Bruce had never been to the Chimney Rock/ Lake Lure area I thought this might be a good ride for today. We planned a route that took us up the Blue Ridge PKWY for a few miles then exited us in Waynesville since I needed to get some chain lube (for those of you with XS11's this is a special oil that goes on the chain drive ). I got the lube but could not find Bruce, he was busy checking out all the new bikes . I think he is sold on a FZ1, but don't tell his XS11 that!!

We went down Rt. 276 past the campground we had last years rally at. This road rocks! There is a sign that has the twisty road symbol and says 15mph, Next 4 miles. All corners the next 4 miles at 15 mph!! God I love it here! After this we followed 64 to Chimney Rock and had some great veiws of the lake and valley.

Bruce forgot his flag for the back of his bike and was wondering if the one on top of Chimney Rock would fit.

From here we took 74 up to nearly Asheville and then got on the Blue ridge PKWY for 87 miles back to Cherokee. The only detour we took was a short blast up and down Rt. 151, My ALL-TIME favorite road in this area. It's only 5 miles long but has Deal's Gap beat in my opinion. Bruce seemed to like it if the loud 'Wa-Hoo' at the end of it was any indication. Traffic was very light and we were treated to some great veiws and a cool sunset.

We got back late and could not keep from smiling. This, folks, is what riding is all about. Pizza with giant Jalapenos for dinner tops off a great day.
        Gary Granger

Comment

Day 6

When we first got to Cherokee we talked to guy who recommended we take 209 up to Hot Springs, this seemed like a good day for that so we blew off Bob's Big Boy and headed to the Waffle House instead for breakfast (how much all you can eat, can you eat, anyway!) and took off for another great ride. This road started out kind of boring but quickly turned into a fantastick twisty road just like all the others, there was an interesting feature to this road though.......a two mile long straight section, with 15mph corners at either end. The longest straight section of road we had seen all week! Once we got to Hot springs we turned around and went back a ways and then took 63 to Newfound Road to Canton, from here took 215 south. Some nice sticky rough pavement and deep woods action. All day long we were blessed with light traffic and great corners. At one point I ran over a dead squirrel in a corner with both wheels, it made my bike jump an bit and the squirrel few up and landed directly in front of Bruce's front wheel, where he promtly ran it over. I thought Bruce was funning me until he showed me the squirrel juice on his new Dunlops. We followed 215 to 64 and had hoped to have a shot running 107 along the Thorpe Reservoir in the daylight. Both of these roads were choked with afternoon traffic and so we just plodded our way back to Cherokee and our dinner at Granny's Buffet House, a highlight of any trip to Cherokee!!

My friend Mark (the Motel owner) had just bought a new Ducati and was showing it off to us:

He only had 1200 miles on it so it was not broke in yet. He told me that next year I could wring it out and let him know what I thought of it. Cool another reason to come back next year!! (Like I needed one )

Day 7

A little shopping and a lot of packing up. 7 days with no rain and over 1200 miles of twisties. I would say that was just about perfect! (except for the little get-off thing ) Bruce made sure I was properly medicated for the ride home and off we went. See ya all next year!!
          Gary Granger

Comment

Re: Ride Report 2003 Rally

Great write-up and pix, Gary. Sounds like a near perfect two wheel holiday. Bummer about the get-off. Looks like the Bandit took quite a tumble. I hope you were well clear by that time. Get well soon! Looking forward to seeing you soon at another rally.
            Bill K.
            1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
            1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Didn't I say that running with that wild child Bruce would get you in trouble?

Get well, nice photos. Let's do it again next year.
              Marty in NW PA
              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA
                Didn't I say that running with that wild child Bruce would get you in trouble?

Get well, nice photos. Let's do it again next year.
                Cool...but we don't have to wait a whole year...more of the same in WV.....the postings are up, XS West Virginia is gonna rock.
                Gary Granger

Comment

WILD CHILD ?????

Hey Marty,
                  I think I'm a little old for the "child" part of it, but when chasing Bandits thru 1200 miles of twisties, it does have a tendency to make a person a little on the "wild" side !!!
                  Bruce Gerken
                  '79 XS1100SF
                  "The Black"
                  '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                  The Red Sled.
                  St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Mopeds are not made for that many twisties!!! Sorry to here about the get-off, but glad your ok. By any chance did you get a pic of that little corner that got ya? Maybe I should have left you the R1 anyways. and if that road beats Deals Gap I am gonna have to talk you into showing me it next year! Hey Bruce, what color FZR you lookin at?
                    Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
                    2003 YZF-R1

Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
                    Cullen Hightower

Comment

Just got word from Rob Reil we are on again for TWO in 2004.
                      Marty in NW PA
                      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

I'm glad all had a wonderful time, but am p/o'ed at missing out. I was to met with Robert Haller in ATL and ride up, but late the night before, I found a bad wheel bearings set as I was checking the XS over. That explains the front end wobble. I know those roads, and it is no place for a wobble. Yesterday, after a new bearing set last week, me and friends did around 150 miles in the woods, and it was glorious. I am looking forward to the next time, and will check the bike out earlier!
                        '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

Working...
                        X