2nd Annual Bob Jones Memorial Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorial Rally T-Shirts

Ok, Russ was supposed to let everyone know that I will order the t-shirts on March 23rd, so all orders need to be in by March 20. Don't fear though, I will order extra's in case you are a slow poke at making up your mind. Or you think you'll have that 10 pounds off and want a smaller size. lol. I will find out what it cost to ship to Canada. You can email me direct at karlaj@kc.rr.com or Russ at russ.ludvicek@gmail.com. His wife Jenna is keeping the tally of sizes. You can send me a money order; I will supply my address. Or if you are going to the rally, you can pay me then. More details to follow. Karkj

Comment

Bob Jones Memorial Rally TShirts are here!

The t-shirts are here, and they look awesome. If you wanted one mailed to you because you can't make the ride, send me your size, address and a check or money order to my home, and I'll put it in the mail.
      My address is: Karla Jones
      9702 Johnson Drive
      Merriam, Ks. 66203

They are $8.00 for large or XL. $9.00 for 2X, 3X. That includes freight.
      If I mail to Canada, please add an additional $4.00. That's less than it will cost me.

If you are going to the ride, you can pay me when I see you. I will be there Friday afternoon, so you can have your shirt in plenty of time to wear it Saturday.
      Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone! Thanks for the support.
      Karla
      Last edited by karkj; 04-13-2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Are we there yet..........
        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Counting the days...can't wait! Maybe I'll even find time before then to get the work done on the XS so I can bring the "right" bike...
          Tom Hunt
          Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
          1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Comment

Several of us went on a ride this last weekend to firm up the Bob Jones Memorial Rally route. We got gas, rest, and lunch stops all planned. Before I get started.. here's the route we've chosen.

Arkansas Ride Route

The plan is to meet up for breakfast that morning. We'd like everyone to be fueled up and ready so we can get the kickstands up and head out at 9:00 am. If you need fuel, please do so before meeting for breakfast so we can leave on time. The restaurant has a buffet for $6.95, or you can order from the menu.

We will leave out from Eureka Springs and head east on HWY 62 and turn south on 392 to 206 so we can by-pass Harrison. Harrison is full of traffic and stop lights and the group gets strung WAY out trying to go through. Plus.. 392 is a fun little road. We will end up out on HWY 7 where we'll ride south to Jasper for our first fuel stop. We'll try to make this one quick since we'll be stopping shortly after this.

After we leave Jasper, we will head east on HWY 74. @ 2 miles north of Mt. Judea, there's an area by a river that will be our first rest stop. We can plan on a half hour or so break.. but rarely does that happen. We just need to be careful about time since this ride will take all day. After the break, we will continue on HWY 74 to HWY 123. Many maps don't even show a road continuing south from Mt. Judea, but we'd prefer it stay that way. From that point until you get down to HWY 7, is one of the funnest roads I've ever ridden. Apparently not too many know of it since it's always seemed pretty deserted. I hope it stays that way.

Once we get back to HWY 7, we'll wait at the stop sign for everyone to catch up, then head north. We will stop at an overlook where we spread Bob's ashes last year. This spot makes a great photo opportunity. After this stop, we will continue north on HWY 7 a few more miles and stop at the Cliffhouse Restaurant. The view from the dining room is hard to beat anywhere. Burgers and fries are @ 6.95, and they have many other things. You can get full on less than $10.

Back on the road after lunch, we'll head north again and return back into Jasper for our 2nd fuel stop. After that, we'll head west on HWY 74, then south on 43, then south on HWY 21 until it dumps us onto HWY 16 where we'll head west again.

When HWY 16 gets to HWY 23, we'll turn south and go @ 2 miles to the small town of St. Paul. There's really not much there and doubtfull the store will be open, but it will get us off the road for a break. At this point, you will have to make a decision. Some people will want to head back to Eureka Springs. The town of Aurora will have fuel and is @ 15 miles north of St. Paul. If you go back to Eureka Springs at that point, your mileage total for the day will be @ 233 miles. For some, that's as much as their backside wants.

Now for the OTHER choice... Many of us will head south on HWY 23 at that point. South of St. Paul is a section of road famously called the Pig Trail. We'll ride this down to nearly I-40, then turn around and come back up it again and return to Eureka Springs. This adds @ 25 miles each way of some of the twistiest roads with a canopy of trees overhead on a large percentage of it... so it's like driving through a wooded shady tunnel with hairpins. It's worth the extra 50 miles if your butt can take it!

Many of us are staying at the Apple Blossom Inn. Their phone number is 479-253-5552. Rooms with 1 King bed are $42 + tx and rooms with 2 Queen beds are $44 + tx. I just called, and she said she had 3 king rooms left and two Queen rooms... so you better call if you want one. If you need to cancel, tell us first, so someone else has a chance to grab it if it's needed. These are very large clean rooms with plenty of floor space for air mattresses if you want to put several to a room. If you want a coffee maker in your room, just tell the lady at the front desk when you go to check in, and she'll get you set up with one. The hotel is just about within a stone's throw from the restaurant we'll be eating at.

If you're still reading this..lol.. we're hoping for a head count. So chime in if you plan on making this. It'll be a great ride on some of Arkansas' funnest roads. Also, Eureka Springs is a tourist area, so there's lots of shops downtown in the historic district, or you can drive around and look at the old architecture done in the late 1800's to early 1900's.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Just reserved one of the 2-bed rooms at the Apple Blossom. I'll most likely be traveling alone (<20% chance of wife/kid riding 2-up), so the other bed might very well be available. I'll know for sure in the next few days. Give me a holler (Ark. term) if you're looking.

We're not eating at the Rowdy Beaver, are we? I was in there w/the fam a few wks ago...adequate at best, IMHO.
              Tom Hunt
              Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H

Comment

I am assuming that the main ride is to take place on Saturday?...correct?
                1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
                -Pod Filters
                -4-1 pipe
                -larger jets for carbs
                1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

Yup.. Saturday May 9th.

And no, we hadn't planned on the Rowdy Beaver.. although Russ and I had a really good prime rib in there a few weeks ago?? Sorry you didn't.

Tod
                  Last edited by trbig; 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Thanks to Tod for posting the rally route. I still have trouble posting links on this forum, sorry. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me on here, or send me an email at russ.ludvicek@gmail.com . I will be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. Also the t shirts have arrived and man they look AWESOME! We will have them available for you at the rally, or we can send them to now. Just PM me with your information, and I get your shirts sent to you. Can't wait to see everyone, and to all the new riders welcome, and I'm really looking forward to meeting you and going for a ride!

See you all soon!

Russ79
                    '81 Venturer U.S. Navy Air Commemorative
                    '79 Special

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      And no, we hadn't planned on the Rowdy Beaver.. although Russ and I had a really good prime rib in there a few weeks ago?? Sorry you didn't.

Tod
                      Who knows...it's hard/unfair to judge a place based on one meal. (Now, if service is bad, I don't need another trip...) Prime rib always sounds good...haven't met one yet that I can't choke down.

I at least need to stop in there and buy a T-shirt...I didn't for some reason when I was there before.
                      Tom Hunt
                      Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H

Comment

I at least need to stop in there and buy a T-shirt...I didn't for some reason when I was there before.
                        Maybe because of the young busty waitresses and the crude message on some of the shirts... coupled with the fact that SWMBO and the kids were there... may have had SOMETHING to do with it?

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Maybe because of the young busty waitresses and the crude message on some of the shirts... coupled with the fact that SWMBO and the kids were there... may have had SOMETHING to do with it?

Tod
                          Hmmm...I don't remember YOUNG busty waitresses there when we were...then again, the blinders get cinched up pretty tight w/fam in tow.

And we left the kids in the car (2 of which are teenagers...before anyone starts thinking child endangerment) when SWMBO & I went back in to the gift shop. I think she was a bit surprised I didn't get something ("No, really, honey...gotta save money for activities for the whole family," or some BS like that).

We did later go into downtown Eureka and saw a shirt that said "I like cats...I just can't eat a whole one by myself." I'm renowned for my disdain (OK, hatred) toward cats, so that shirt did indeed become mine.
                          Tom Hunt
                          Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H

Comment

I also love cats. They taste just like chicken!
                            '81 Venturer U.S. Navy Air Commemorative
                            '79 Special

Comment

"I like cats...I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

That is ideed the one shirt I liked best also. I probably looked like an idiot standing in front of the store window laughing. Hmmmm.. lemme see if I have a pic of it.. Yup!

I really liked sitting on the balcony of the Basin Springs Hotel, people watching...

And some steak casadeas with a few cold beers...

So.. are we ready to go back yet??

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100

Comment

That is ideed the one shirt I liked best also. I probably looked like an idiot standing in front of the store window laughing. Hmmmm.. lemme see if I have a pic of it.. Yup!

#1- The reflection in the window is kind of scary.

#2- I know what shirt John's getting!
                                http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Working...
                                X