XS East 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Home

Phil and I had planned to depart for the Great White North just after the tunnel, so we watched the three bikes disappear around a corner ahead and we wound our way through a few more miles of biker heaven until we could see a major highway way up above us.

We stopped to ask where the on ramp was, and some local folk started coming out of the woodwork. Interesting at first, but then it started to get a bit weird, and Phil was giving me the signals to get back on the bike. I started pulling on my gloves a bit quicker after the young fella talking to us said, Oh you guys were up a Dingess? Them people up there are crazy"

So turned a corner, caught a ramp up to 119 and headed north. A great ride home with an overnight stop that included dinner and beer at a nice pub for what seemed like a mistake on the bill, it was so damn cheap!

Thanks to Darrel and Marty for putting on a great event, and to Phil for helping me get there and back safely and being a good friend
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

• Total distance

Since I was presented the longest distance award, thought I would share my odometer reading for all miles racked up since leaving home

2,725 km or 1,693 miles

...and besides burning a couple of litres of oil, the 78E ran like a champ
      Last edited by dbbrian; 05-30-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• pictures anybody?

Does anyone else have photos to share?

Perhaps from some in the group that wasn't 'lost' ?

Comment

• Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
          Does anyone else have photos to share?

Perhaps from some in the group that wasn't 'lost' ?
          Phone camera is broken, so no photos from me, however, i will be posting the first 2 hours of Saturdays ride from my gopro soon.

I too would like to see some pics from yall! Post em if ya have em!
          1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

• Congratulations

[

Earl gets the 1st Brent Hoovestol "Promptness Award"
            You know, we are all lined up, engines running, and someone still hasn't put on their helmet and put out their ceegar...

Congratulations to all who won awards, and to each who attended. I missed Y'all. I rode my XS locally this XSeast holiday weekend, and thought of my long time XSive friends. Do not blame Earl entirely for his promptness; At his first XS rally, I explained to him that XSives were great folks, a friendly bunch, that it was good to visit and especially to welcome newbies. Then the example I set smoking and chatting, answering questions about seats, oil, tires..., ..., ..., I am honored to see an award named after me and pleased to see Earl receive it. Enjoying an adventure again by hearing or telling the story of it is fun. (AND more comfortable without the worry of being lost, low fuel, broke down, hardships, etc. but still fun). I have heard some stories involving me. Those who were there know, even if it is hard to believe. New XSives can believe. These stories are not made up to see how gullible you are. Any time I have made corrections for exact historical accuracy, I have found that the stories were not exaggerated, but understated. I overheard advice to a newbie; "Oh, you are riding in with brent?. Plan on it, you will be late, But you will be a better person for it."

Thanks & enjoy the trip.
            It is a great big beautiful world out there
            Brent in GA
            Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

• Brent and Earl 2 more of my Brothers from another Mother well that kinda includes all you Xsives
              Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
              Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
              and SOXS
              2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

• This appeared on my morning new feed. If we had taken 52 east out of Welch we would ridden right past the store. Walmart sucks!

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/compa...cid=spartandhp
                Tom
                2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

• Originally posted by Huron52 View Post
                  This appeared on my morning new feed. If we had taken 52 east out of Welch we would ridden right past the store. Walmart sucks!

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/compa...cid=spartandhp
                  Hi Tom,
                  An interesting read. However a town of 18,000 could hardly support a store of that size. None of the comments refer to buying anything other than some vegetables ? WalMart is just the visible symbol of the rape and pillage by large corporations of the rest of us
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• I wonder if now gone, there might be some new little businesses start up, like seeds sprouting after a wildfire, and renew what was once there, and provide the small things required by the local inhabitants

Comment

• Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                      I wonder if now gone, there might be some new little businesses start up, like seeds sprouting after a wildfire, and renew what was once there, and provide the small things required by the local inhabitants
                      Not likely. Who's going to invest there? Coal was the thing. It's mostly gone and all the jobs with it. Wal-Mart comes in and all the small businesses are forced out. One Wal-Mart leaves, all that's left is a big home for the rats.

Turn it into a motorcycle resort!
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

• That is an great idea
                        Very good roads down there if you can get to share them with the coal trucks!
                        Tom
                        2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                        gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Working...
                        X