No announcement yet.

XS East Route Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really we ended up with 3 routes and just couldn't make the decision. We had no reason to take one over the other, so we put it here for a vote. One has all the covered bridges in NH, one has the actual riding in VT and Rt 100, and one hits Bennington and both the Molly Stark Trail and the Mohawk Trail in Mass.

Also I figured one or two local folks or someone knowledgeable with the area would pipe in and say something that might sway the vote.

Lacking all that, it is fun isn't it? What else you gonna do on a cold winter night? Well, I mean other than THAT....

If this is not fun, not interesting, I could ask a moderator to just delete it.

Should we vote on it?

Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Hi Marty,
      We must be careful not to peak to early As MA is only 16 miles down the interstate I can "bag" it anytime. As you know I ride at night too
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

OK,

Confirmed. I'm going up this Sat, will drive one route Sun and the other route Mon. Which routes? That's up to you, vote early and vote often! I'll post pics.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA View Post
          Hi fiddlefoot!
          Thanks for the input. I was part of a small group that did the Kancamagus Highway last summer (look here:
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18955 ) on our way back from Canada. Unfortunately it is just too far from our starting point in Brattleboro. Most of that day would be driving up to it then we would have to return when we got there.

Yes it was a bit crowded, and I know Mass is a crowded state and the Mohawk trail is more "modern" that it was 20 years ago. It would be a little different from some of the recent few rallies we have had in rural NY and WV. I understand that some of the attendees have not been to Mass so that route would allow them to collect Mass.

Personally I am hoping for #2 and #3 to win, but we'll see at the end of Feb.
          Wow, that really looks like quite a ride. My butt, back, legs, everything, would have been sore as all heck.

If you like sub museums, they have the USS Albacore in Portsmouth, NH.

Kangamangus Highway last summer...

Don
          currently own;
          1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
          2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Guys and gals, check out this turn on the Mohawk Trail. BTW, this is on Route #1

Comment

Yeah, the Kanc has a lot of good curves too, but when the traffic is bumper to bumper it is not very exciting.

Run the Mohawk and let us know!!
              Marty in NW PA
              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
              This IS my happy face.

Comment

I'll be up there sat, sun & mon. Should have a good idea of what will work after that.

Comment

Looks like I may have to take the center stand off the bike for those corners!

Yee Haw!!!
                  Paul
                  1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                  1979 XS1100 Standard
                  1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

That's funny, Paul. I'm hoping the Mohawk 'Trail' is at least well-paved. Last year, one of the roads we picked turned out to be dirt. We made the appropriate adjustments during the pre-run, of course!

Comment

Turn? Thats a hairpin! Dont have a centerstand to drag...LOL
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                        That's funny, Paul. I'm hoping the Mohawk 'Trail' is at least well-paved. Last year, one of the roads we picked turned out to be dirt. We made the appropriate adjustments during the pre-run, of course!
                        Hi Randy,
                        Happy riding. Have a good time and we all look forward to hearing your views of the route. Don't let the huge responsibilty bother you
                        Phil
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Vote for 1 & 3

I just caught this thread. From my experience riding the area I voted for 1&3. Southern NH from my experience is boring except for the Kancamagus. Also be aware that this will not be like WV, NY or GA as far as traffic goes. Add in a Holiday weekend and you get the picture. I'll be happy to run any route though. All are scenic. 1&3 more so IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Scootstado2 View Post
                            I just caught this thread. From my experience riding the area I voted for 1&3. Southern NH from my experience is boring except for the Kancamagus. Also be aware that this will not be like WV, NY or GA as far as traffic goes. Add in a Holiday weekend and you get the picture. I'll be happy to run any route though. All are scenic. 1&3 more so IMHO.
                            Hi Russ,
                            Try and keep up at the back I picked 1 & 3 purely by chance but will enjoy a cold beer with you at the end of which ever route our Rally Master decree
                            Phil
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                              Hi Russ,
                              Try and keep up at the back I picked 1 & 3 purely by chance but will enjoy a cold beer with you at the end of which ever route our Rally Master decree
                              Phil
                              Oops evidence on an earlier page is that I voted for 1 & 2. Conclusion I am just a riding whore who will go pretty much anywhere the roads are paved and the invitation is extended
                              Phil
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                                Oops evidence on an earlier page is that I voted for 1 & 2. Conclusion I am just a riding whore who will go pretty much anywhere the roads are paved and the invitation is extended
                                Phil
                                That's OK Phil I'll still have beer with you. It won't be the first time (or the last) that I had a beer with a Ho.

Comment

Working...
                                X