XS East Route Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Randy,

Great time of year for that part of the country. Couldn't pick a better time. (except maybe early - mid October). I love that quote at the end of your posts. However, reading the Bible on the bike would be a little tough on those winding roads up north.

"Jesus is LORD" - John

Comment

Vote with us

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
      All of the above After a long hard look (prints so small i could not read the town names) i too went with 1 & 2. it all looks so good.
      Paul maybe we can ride from the border south together.
      Phil
      hey Paul I see our choice of 1 &2 is in second place in the poll.
      Come on People
      Vote with us for 1 & 2
      like a good politician i have no Idea why this is any better than the others
      can one use Good & Politician in the same sentence
      anyway get in there and VOTE
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

hey Paul I see our choice of 1 &2 is in second place in the poll.
        Come on People
        Vote with us for 1 & 2
        like a good politician i have no Idea why this is any better than the others
        can one use Good & Politician in the same sentence
        anyway get in there and VOTE
        Phil
        Hey Phil, looks like we're the underdogs at this point!
        Paul
        1983 XJ1100 Maxim
        1979 XS1100 Standard
        1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
          Any idea of the mileage of the various routes? On the face of it, #1 and #2 look good to me.
          Hi route 1 looks like about 168 miles ,270 K and about 4 1/2 hrs non stop at the speed limit
          cant read the map for 2
          #3 looks like about 188 miles 303 K and 5 1/4 hrs
          but this is just a guess
          Jim
          Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
          Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
          and SOXS
          2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Alright my reason for picking 1 is that it goes through THREE states which adds New Hampshire & Massachusetts to my tally. So like a politician it is ENTIRELY for selfish reasons that I pick ONE.
            As Randy will be riding the routes for us. ONE is closer to his home and therefore easier for him to research.
            As most people in the past have wanted rides in the 200 mile range i think they are all well laid out.
            Last year when we went to the Pocono's I wanted to go to New Jersey. I like the others at the Water Gap thought the highway was the only way to get there. Later I discovered NJ was just a few miles down the road we were already on. Now I will have to wait for an invitation from BNE to add NJ to my list
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

217 views and only 6 votes??? Either 6 of us have some short term memory thing going on like "Olds-timers" or we have a lot of drive-by lookers. There is no statement anywhere that says you can only vote if you plan to attend. So go ahead and vote!

More information about the 3 maps including translations for those from other countries where ESL and don't remember that 5,280 feet = 1,760 yards = 1 mile.....

Map 01 is approximately 163 miles, 261 KM, 9 hours elapsed time. This includes gas / touristy / lunch and supper stops. This route includes the Molly Stark Trail, Bennington War Memorial, and the Mohawk Trail, with a few covered bridges. I figure if the Bennington War Memorial park is laid out well we can do a group photo there. Might look good with that big honkin' thing sticking way up there in the background.

Map 02 is approximately 148 miles, 237 KM, 8.5 hours elapsed time. Same includes. This is a loop through NH and includes 8 covered bridges. The plan with the bridges is to drive through as many as allowed (usually the older ones are blocked, for foot traffic only) and pick one good one for a possible group photo op. Understand that if we stop too long at some of the bridges we will likely just pass by some others to maintain the planned route timing. We actually allotted 5 minutes for each bridge, assuming most will be drive-bys and only one or two will be either drive through (short movie op there) and/or have a big enough area to stop and take a group photo

Map 03 is approximately 188 miles, 300 KM, 8.75 hours elapsed time. Does not include supper stop in the elapsed time. This route includes Rt 100, the route everyone points to first when you ask which road should I take my motorcycle on in VT. Otherwise there are 2 photo op stops from which to choose. This route is a slightly more aggressive, in that there is a little more distance between each stop, and less stops. Not too much of an historical nature to this route. There are several places to turn-off for shortening the ride if needed.

As stated earlier, these are in final draft, meaning basically that on paper we have all the stops timed and planned and we could go now with either of them. Randy has already said he will preview the routes to be sure we have chosen gas stations and restaurants that are in business. If the preview shows some bad roads or other changes are needed we can make those changes quickly. Also note that we are using a slightly lower average MPH due to the crowded nature of the area.

It's all good!

Oh, welcome Bibleman!
              Last edited by MartyA; 01-18-2009, 05:07 AM.
              Marty in NW PA
              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Mowhawk Trail

I have run the Mowhawk trail in map1 and it is a fantastic road twistys,lookouts,switchbacks. Marty i rate the Mowhawk up there with the dragon. Its 85 miles of pure fun!!!!! See you guys in May.
                Doug
                Doug Mitchell
                82 XJ1100 sold
                2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Ok.... against my better judgement... I voted
                  Tom
                  2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                  gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

viewed ..no vote

I for one have been viewing these routes. I know there is no way I will be attending, but I like the fantasy "Oh it would be so much fun". I do not wish to influence the direction the ride takes by voting when those who will be there should be making the choice. I know nothing of the area other than what you have written, but If I was making the run I would want to do em all. Once you get a good ol boy out of Alberta he likes to see everything. I hope you all have a great time.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

My vote is in. Definitely #3 and either of the other two. I REALLY like Memorial Day weekend lately the last few years.
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

Vote with us for 1 & 2

my vote is in. phil sorry you missed n.j. at water gap stop it was on the other side the the river.
                        80 xs1100G

Comment

Originally posted by earl G View Post
                          my vote is in. phil sorry you missed n.j. at water gap stop it was on the other side the the river.
                          Hi Earl,
                          Yes I know. What I did not know was that all I had to do was ride down the road we were already on for A couple of miles i would have found a bridge across the Delaware. I could have crossed without getting my feet wet
                          Phil
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Alright my reason for picking 1 is that it goes through THREE states which adds New Hampshire & Massachusetts to my tally. So like a politician it is ENTIRELY for selfish reasons that I pick ONE.
                            As Randy will be riding the routes for us. ONE is closer to his home and therefore easier for him to research.
                            As most people in the past have wanted rides in the 200 mile range i think they are all well laid out.
                            Last year when we went to the Pocono's I wanted to go to New Jersey. I like the others at the Water Gap thought the highway was the only way to get there. Later I discovered NJ was just a few miles down the road we were already on. Now I will have to wait for an invitation from BNE to add NJ to my list
                            Phil door is open...Maybe on the return from XSEast...
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I noticed on Rte #3 that there seems to be a bit of I91 and for that reason I voted for #1 and #2. I'll have had enough superslabs before I get home...
                              Last edited by madmax-im; 01-25-2009, 11:01 PM.
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi Earl,
                                Yes I know. What I did not know was that all I had to do was ride down the road we were already on for A couple of miles i would have found a bridge across the Delaware. I could have crossed without getting my feet wet
                                Phil
                                Phil... I can guide you down the Delaware no problems
                                From Stroudsburg thru the Del Water Gap a couple of different ways...
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X