XSEast 09 Official Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey All!,
    Got home with Matt around 7:30 logged 1060 miles or just over 1700 kilometers. Rear brake master went south along with one windshield mount on the way home. Used just over 10 quarts of oil, looks like I have an engine that has to come apart again.

Great Rally, Great roads! Great Times!

Thanks all!

Paul
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

• For those who noticed the Moose in Bennington I googled it after takig a few pictures this morning on the way home.

http://www.benningtonmoosefest.com/
      Tom
      2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
      gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

• Home again home again. Cold windy ride home but incredible scenery even on the slab. Thanks for a great weekend. The ride planning was first class and the company was warm and friendly. The only casualty I had was a speedo cable on the run home. Got here about 7:00. Thanks to Paul, Matt and Robb for allowing me to ride with you guys and share your room. Pics to follow.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

• Home by 8:30pm 13 hours in the saddle My bum is numb and my wrist hurts (from holding the throttle) Great week end what a blast to ride with so many friends. Thanks Tom for leading the way there and assitance with route planning home. followed it mostly. Cold blustery wind was was unpleasant to say the least.. 2600 km or 1600 miles round trip. bike behaved itself impeccably.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Pic's

Here's some pic's of the festivities.

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...NAME=snapfish/

Comment

• Left at 8:30AM, arrived in WashDC at 8:30PM. 547 miles today and 7 fuel stops. At the stop before Allentown my center stand bracket broke the weld. These bikes are getting old! Had to be careful on the right turns. Now to find someone to fix it.

Wife remarked that I must have gained 5 lbs.

Nevertheless a great rally and enjoyed the company of my riding companions.

Duwayne should report in any minute, Brent, another 1 1/2 hours.

Darrell

PS MaximPhil, get one of those thottle paddles, makes it much easier on the wrist.
              Darrell
              78E
              80G project
              06FJR

Comment

• williamsburg-nowI

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                Home by 8:30pm 13 hours in the saddle My bum is numb and my wrist hurts (from holding the throttle) Great week end what a blast to ride with so many friends. Thanks Tom for leading the way there and assitance with route planning home. followed it mostly. Cold blustery wind was was unpleasant to say the least.. 2600 km or 1600 miles round trip. bike behaved itself impeccably.
                Phil
                I arrived in Williamsburg, VA about 10:30 pm. Found my wife & daughter here ready to family vacation tour beginning @ 6 am tomarrow.

Great rally! Thanks to all who organized led & participated.
                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                Brent in GA
                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

• Pics here!

Created 2 slideshows of pics from my point and shoot camera...the helmet cam pics bombed and were not worth saving...a big disappointment...anyway enjoy these...

1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• For those that noticed the orange device on my left handle bar. This is what it can produce.

http://jasonjonas.org/spot/tripViewer.do?id=1094
                    Tom
                    2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                    gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

• Link to my photos...

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/e...boro%20XS2009/
                      Gary Granger
                      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Quote:

"A motorcycle can’t sing on the streets of a city." Unknown

Comment

• it was me

Thanks Paul.

trbig. I dont want to hear it...
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

• Originally posted by newc4 View Post

PS MaximPhil, get one of those thottle paddles, makes it much easier on the wrist.
                          I have one its called throttle rock it or rocker..aboout $11 USD...works great at alleviating the stress.
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• here are mine

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...view=slideshow
                            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                            1981 LH

Comment

• Home

Got home at 3 pm, Thank you Randy for a great time,super rally as always, met some new ppl and some old friends,Im just pouring a triple rum and wishing i could do it all again!! The fishheads are on their way home and should be checking in soon. Great times great people thank you all !!!
                              MITCH
                              Doug Mitchell
                              82 XJ1100 sold
                              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

• The 'Miss-Placed in the Green Mountains Rally" report

Disclaimer: This is far from complete in every detail and some names have been omitted to save some from embarrasment

The run to Brattleboro was safe for all and uneventful for most. Always a good omen. Five of us in the Atlantic corridor met up in Peekskill, NY on Friday at the non-existent Sunoco station and after a short bit of ‘lets go this way, no..let’s go that way’, we were off.

By 8PM nearly everyone had arrived.

We immediately set to shaking off the road and bringing balance back into our systems by consuming mass quantities of fermented electrolytes.

Saturday’s ride took us through the Molly Stark Byway, a winding mountain road with beautiful views and lots of hills which everyone seemed to love, and led us to the Bennington Battle Monument. From there we rode South to lunch at Angelina’s Subs where we got stuffed. Getting stuffed with food became a secondary theme of this rally. Another secondary theme was u-turns. I missed so many road signs that I’ve earned the nickname ‘Wrong-way Randy’. I did a few encores on Sunday, too. For my efforts I was awarded a compass and a corkscrew by two xs-cessively lovely ladies. I just don’t know whether to use the compass or the corkscrew first! “which way to the bar?”

After lunch we got on the Mohawk Trail, it winds through the woods beside a small river for about 40 miles and it would have been more fun if the speed limit hadn’t changed every mile, but still no one complained. We then found a covered bridge so Doug could do burnouts and try to light the wooden roadway ablaze. Then it was back to base to quench thirsts, fill bellies, tally up the votes and give out the booby, err door prizes.

The winners are:

Best XS – Rob from Canada (sorry, I don’t have your last name) ---78E
                                Best non-XS – Ralph Waltman – 08 Royal Star
                                Most Miles on an XS – Ryan “Gunslinger”
                                Most Miles non-XS – Ralph Waltman
                                The Harley Award remains in Canada this year, shared by Gary and Aaron Conboy. (Aaron, don’t let your mom read this!).

The rest of Saturday night was a blurr for me…Sunday morning we headed out on East-West road out of Putney to a group photo stop at the Dummerston covered bridge, then up route 100 through Woodstock. Just before lunch the skies opened for a few minutes, but after lunch the sun was shining and stayed that way the rest of the day. We again got stuffed at the Pot Belly Pub, an apt name.

Then it was on to the Quechee Gorge for a little sightseeing.

For the run to home base, we split into a couple of groups, some taking the local roads and others opting for the superslab to ‘blow out the cobwebs’ and Sally took some great pictures at speed.

Some honorary awards go to the innovative on-the-fly fixes:

The missing oil cap. (there were actually two, one was soon retrieved)

And the elastic shifter return spring (box of 200 for 49 cents, not a bad price really)

And last but not least, to the guy whose engine is only firing on three, I think it’s an ignition problem. Gareth and I found this in the middle of Main Street in Bennington!

We had an unusually high number of minor troubles, some of them were downright comical. I don’t know if I got all of them, but here goes:

1 speedo cable trolling for asphalt
                                2 filler caps
                                1 headlight relay (mine)
                                1 tail/signal harness
                                2 turn signal switches
                                1 cracked muffler joint
                                1 flying muffler
                                1 running light
                                1 O2 sensor plug
                                2 lost sidecovers

Thanks to all who came. It’s the participants that make the rally. After all, if nobody came. I’d still be doing circles in the parking lot!

Comment

Working...
                                X