No announcement yet.

XSEast 2009 - IDEAS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By going so far north you are leaving out some of the Southern Good old Boy's and some of them have been waiting 2 yrs for the group to come back towards the south. Like Scout for one. a vote is good thing.
    Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by madbiker
      By going so far north you are leaving out some of the Southern Good old Boy's and some of them have been waiting 2 yrs for the group to come back towards the south. Like Scout for one. a vote is good thing.
      Ralph
      Hi Ralph,
      Western PA was a strong contender last year so deserves special mention. Every year we have tried to pull you guys into Canada we are told it is too cold that time of year.
      I think Vermont New Hampshire have the same problem.
      Did we not go to Southern WV in 2007 which is about as far South as the North East area can claim to be home.
      Georgia is nice but way too far South for a "week end" ride except for a few lunatics
      Maxim Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Well, as the saying goes "build it and they will come" so whoever REALLY wants it can and should make it happen, no?

Comment

I'm going back to Wellsboro

On my own...I just returned from a week in the PA Grand Canyon area with the ST1100/1300 forum.All the roads within a 200 mile radius of Wellsboro were scrutinized and then some fine choices of twisty roads that you'd ever want to ride were made into routes.
          I have heard some of you say you've been there before...and others have told me they didnt find enough challenging twisties...well I truly feel this area deserves another visit.because some members of the ST forum live in the area...we were able to find soo many great roads...that it wasnt possible to explore them all in one visit...
          BTW no question that an ST will outhandle an XS or an XJ in the twisties...so if we find roads that are challenging then the XS/XJ riders would too.And there is so much of local interests to do see...it makes rding just one aspect of a great trip...
          Last edited by madmax-im; 07-28-2008, 05:29 PM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

That place in Western Pa is rapidly changeing and when it done . What I was hoping you guy and girls would get a chance to see will be gone forever . It's not always about twisted roads. Although there are some nice roads out there . It can be about what happen there that some people will never get to seeand never will.
            Ralph.[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

IMHO, you folks are jumping over the best riding in the Northeast, the Adirondack Mts, and I don't mean Lake George (LG is barely in the Adirondack Park)! Go up to the High Peaks region, around Lake Placid. It's central in the Dacks, lots of places to stay, see and do, roads are fantastic, scenery is grrreat! It's the Olympics Training Region, lots of things going on.

The club I belong to, The Venturers, is having our regional Ride-In based out of the Lake Placid KOA near Whiteface Mt. in a couple of weeks.

The best time to go is July through September, though, if you don't want black flies. They come in early May and annoy the hell outta people until late June/early July, depending on how wet the season is.

If I'm buttin' in, sorry bout that!
              BobE
              Richmond, RI
              1980 XS1100G - "The Old Coot"

PREVIOUS RIDES
              2005 Venture, 1993 Venture, 1983 Venture
              1978 Gold Wing, 1983 Gold Wing
              1975 CB500T, 1983 Husqvarna 250WR
              1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5
              1981 CB900F, 1965 C200 (Honda 90)
              1968 Powell Challenger (Hairy-Chested Mini-bike)

Comment

Originally posted by madbiker
                That place in Western Pa is rapidly changeing and when it done . What I was hoping you guy and girls would get a chance to see will be gone forever . It's not always about twisted roads. Although there are some nice roads out there . It can be about what happen there that some people will never get to seeand never will.
                Ralph.[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
                Ralph maybe we should do this for the upcoming 9-11 weekend.I know that the Patriot Guard Riders are doing a weekend of riding to all three 9-11 sites..W.PA,Pentagon,and NYC.. I just joined the PGR but I am not going on this one..but a bunch of XSives...lets go
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Do it when you want ,but come 9-11 I won't be near that place or any of the other sites to many people. Besides that I'll be out there next month. I go ever year
                  Ralph

Comment

uhh ok that makes sense...I'm not one for crowds either.When you go out there do you stay overnite?Do you take the PA-TPK?
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Turnpike out rt30 back . Ben I've been talking about going out as a group for 2 yrs now and they are getting close to building the real deal out there and I just think what is there now is worth seeing.
                      Ralph

Comment

• Hey I want to go there

I hear ya...and I'd like to see it before they change it...when do you think they're gonna make a more permananet memorial?Will it still be the same as it is now come next Memorial Day? Hopefully it will be...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• It will be close to the same . They just had to move it across the street to land the families own because it was set up own borrowed land and the owner was asking a huge sum for the land and it didn't go well out there.
                          Ralph

Comment

• In case no one get it Ralph has already voted for Somerset, PA. and the flight 93 memorial visit. They are currently dismantling all the impromptu decorations and memorial memorabilia. I visited this in June and it was extrememly moving. The road there is terrible, there is little parking, but if you can go there you should. There is a new controversial Memorial being built within the next two years, a big cement 3/4 circle.

BobE you still with those Venturers? Good for you. Our XS East rally has been Memorial day weekend for years. You are correct the Adirondacks are terrific, the FJR folks did a 'rumble' up there in June. Good mix of twisty and country riding. Black flies on Memorial day weekend just won't do though. But wherever we end up please try to get there, we haven't met yet!

Phil if the Canukistanians want to host just say so otherwise just you wait till we vote. hee hee hee. You guys ought to be thrilled to come here and spend a few dollars to get a few more dollars...

Ben we try to not repeat if we can. Yes the PA Grand Canyon is a great area; we had the XS11 rally there in 03. If we can we will go somewhere else.

I will add one more location to the mix, for consideration - my neighborhood around Kane, PA. This is sorta in keeping with the latest trend of hosting a rally in your neighborhood. Now I am in the middle of a rain forest, and our last frost here is around June 2, but mostly Memorial day weekend is just cool and the snow is gone by then. And if anyone remembers the PA Grand Canyon rally in North Central PA the roads around here are about the same, maybe better, and I am 2-3 hours west of that area.

Couple more days for input then we vote. Unless someone wants to absolutely jump in and say YES and do it. You will get lots of help. Some of us have done this a few times.
                            Last edited by MartyA; 07-28-2008, 07:12 PM.
                            Marty in NW PA
                            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                            This IS my happy face.

Comment

• Marty, I'm kinda likin' that Kane idea. Haven't been to Allegany country in a while, that was with the Boy Scouts. Marty H would just about be back home! Yet, all choices are interesting and everywhere I've been with this gang has been great..Let's vote!
                              Last edited by DeanR; 07-28-2008, 07:53 PM.
                              80 SG
                              81 SH in parts
                              99 ST1100
                              91 ST1100

Comment

• Aye!

+2 on voting...I really dont care where as long as we've picked a place...so we can plan accordingly...
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X