No announcement yet.

XSively Lost in Illinios Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another link from "skid" off site on rlu and lighting repairs.

http://home.comcast.net/~sidhansen/motorcycles.htm

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to start a specific thread about your issue to get more help.
    XJ1100 Ruby Red
    XS1100LH "Midnight"
    1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Mat,

Just where do you stand on your bikes? My back ground is in electronics and I’m retired. Maybe I could come over and help you out with the wiring problem. I can’t do it on a weekend (SWMBO figures I’m retired and should do all that type stuff during the week). Have to work (part time contract work) tomorrow but the weather is looking good for the rest of the week and we have quit a while until Sept (but not as long as I would like). I’m sure we can get one running, provided there is still some of the wiring left on it.

Bob
      #1 ’79 XS11 Special
      #2 ’79 XS11 Special
      '97 V-Max
      '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Not too sure when I have available. Down to 3hrs of vacation left for the year. Unless you could make it to my house after I get off of work but thats a long haul. The 79 will run but no headlight. I think this was the reason the po bypassed the ingnition switch. Not too sure. The 81 currently has my 79's carbs on her and I am putting back in the u-joint I gave to brent otherwise i think she will run. The 81 doen't have a title yet have to track down the whiteside county officer that owned it and have him sign off.
        68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
        76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
        79 special (skull bike)
        79 special (parts bike w/title)
        79 special
        80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
        81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
        81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
        80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
        81 650 maxim
        81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
        88 Zx 600r (Sold)
        01 Gz 250

Comment

Mat,

What time do you leave for work? I’m think that I could come over and be there by 6-6:30 am. Hopefully that is before you leave, you could show me what you got so far and where you are with trouble shooting, and I could take it from there. Hopefully I would have the problem fixed (or at least figured out) and have taken a nap before you get home. This week is shot but next week is looking great. If this sounds like a plan, let’s let the weather decide on the day. The first nice day next week unless something comes up for either of us (it is nice to be retired, -- except for the getting old part).

Bob
          #1 ’79 XS11 Special
          #2 ’79 XS11 Special
          '97 V-Max
          '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

I would love to make the ride I just have to wait until closer to the date to make sure I can afford it.
            Dave
            1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Bob

That sounds fine with me but it would have to be twords the end of the week. Barb wants to make sure her check comes in on wednesday. I am usually leaving my house between 6:15 to 6:30. Drake will be home all day and can fetch tools if needed.
              68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
              79 special (skull bike)
              79 special
              81 650 maxim
              88 Zx 600r (Sold)
              01 Gz 250

Comment

Mat,

Wednesday sounds like the best weather right now, but you know the weather. Are we going to try to fix the 79 or the 81? Maybe we should take a good look at both. If needed, I have some spare 79 parts that you can borrow for now. Planned on riding my 79 so can swap parts is see if they are bad. Better look at both, I’m sure we can figure out what is wrong with the 81 also. There is a lot of differences in the wiring between the two which I think has been causing some of your trouble shooting problems. I’ll see if I can find a wiring diagram for the 81, have one for the 79.

Bob
                #1 ’79 XS11 Special
                #2 ’79 XS11 Special
                '97 V-Max
                '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

I have the repair manual that steve gave me. It has all the wiring diagrams in the back. The 81 I got as a parts bike with out carbs and gas tank. The exhaust went to john in Tx. I have another tank without cap and my old exhaust. both bikes are currently sharing one set of carbs until I can afford another set. The 81 is in much nicer physical condition without any tampering with the wiring. Not sure it will run. It has been sitting for some time. Going to shoot you a pm with my number in case you don't have it.
                  68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
                  79 special (skull bike)
                  79 special
                  81 650 maxim
                  88 Zx 600r (Sold)
                  01 Gz 250

Comment

Up and running! Thanks bob for riding out and fixing my problem. Quick ? Can I just run a jumper between the 2 spades and take out the toggel switch all together? I keep forgetting to turn it on. this would make the lights come on when the key is on. Is this ok?

Thanks again for your help!
                    Matt
                    68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
                    79 special (skull bike)
                    79 special
                    81 650 maxim
                    88 Zx 600r (Sold)
                    01 Gz 250

Comment

Depends on what Bob used for voltage source. If direct from battery than can't do, as bypass toggle switch would supply continual voltage to headlight, thus can't turn off.
                      If wired to voltage source that comes live when key on and dead when key off then you could.
                      Could use test light to check it.
                      XJ1100 Ruby Red
                      XS1100LH "Midnight"
                      1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

The switch just bypasses the headlight/dimmer relay. The lights will go off and on with the key, if the switch is left on. Most newer bikes are that way. It is easier on the battery to start it without the lights on. So get the carbs cleaned and get it starting good, then leave the switch on.

Bob
                        #1 ’79 XS11 Special
                        #2 ’79 XS11 Special
                        '97 V-Max
                        '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Bob,

adjusted the idel last night and rode for a couple of hours with no problems. Got up this morning hit the button and she fired right up with no choke. Rode it to and from work. The last 4 miles grabed the clutch to shift down and she cut out. pulled off the road to restart it and the starter silonide just clicked. caught a ride home took the one off of the 81 and she fired back up but wouldn't stay running. I keep losing the battery. Jumped it 5 times before it ran long enough for me to ride home. bike died pulling into the drive. maybe the battery is no longer over charging but not charging.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

matt

P.S.

The 81 is looking better everyday!
                          68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
                          79 special (skull bike)
                          79 special
                          81 650 maxim
                          88 Zx 600r (Sold)
                          01 Gz 250

Comment

Remember, after we got it running I check the voltage across the battery. The battery was pretty run down but the voltage climb up to 13.5 fairly quickly and then continued to climb slowly. I’d bet that it would have been over 14.2 volts by the time the battery got fully charged so I think it is charging OK, or at least was charging OK. These batteries aren’t very big so they are easy to run down with the starter. Unless it quit charging all together, the battery shouldn’t have anything to do with the engine dying when you pulled in the clutch or once you get it started again. If the battery ran dead enough to stop the engine from running it never would have had the power to start the engine again. Charge the battery, clean the carbs, getting it running and check the voltage across the battery again. Once the battery is charged it should be between 14.2 and 14.7, if I remember right. Anything over 13.5 volts will at least keep the battery charged. I’m guessing the carbs are causing the engine to die. If not it could be an electrical ignition problem but I doubt that a battery that has the power to start it don’t have the power to keep it running.

You may also have a problem in the starter or connections going to the starter. Was the connections on the old start solenoid good? Replacing the solenoid may have fixed a connection problem. Once you get it running it would be interesting to put the old solenoid back on and see if it still fails.

Bob
                            #1 ’79 XS11 Special
                            #2 ’79 XS11 Special
                            '97 V-Max
                            '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

If this is the same battery/batteries that lived through the overcharging problem it’s quite possible battery is no good anymore. A fully charged good battery should read on your meter around 12.8 volts. Over time batteries develop bad cells especially after overcharging multiple times which shortens the life greatly. Many times a battery will short internally and lose ALL CAPACITY because the cells break down from overcharging or age and short together as lead battery plate debris builds up in bottom of case. You could jump it to get it started (don’t have car running) but not have enough voltage to keep it running for long on it’s own, as it has no capacity. Thus multiple jumps to get it home.

Charge the battery and test to see what voltage you end up with, but let it sit disconnected from charger for 20 minutes to let the surface charge die down to avoid false readings.

If your tach is working ok than that is usually an indication that it is charging enough to keep it running provided battery is good and has storage capacity.
                              If battery tests ok than start it and rev to 2500 or more and should read between 13.4 to 14.5 or so volts but not more than that.
                              XJ1100 Ruby Red
                              XS1100LH "Midnight"
                              1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

One month till the ride! Time to start getting a head count and see who has rooms. We also need to see if anyone still needs rooms. Not sure if there is any available. Here is the headquarters

Holiday Motel
                                1010 S Marquette Rd
                                Prairie Du Chien, WI.
                                www.holidaymotelpdc.com
                                $60 + tax 1 queen bed per room
                                800-962-3883
                                608-326-2448

Hope to see you all soon!
                                Matt - exquized1
                                68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
                                79 special (skull bike)
                                79 special
                                81 650 maxim
                                88 Zx 600r (Sold)
                                01 Gz 250

Comment

Working...
                                X