No announcement yet.

Leaky Front Master Cylinder and Need New Final drive fill bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright folks, I was all excited to get my o rings... pulled the reservoir off... man what a mess. However the 39.7mm x 3.5mm O ring I bought is not a fit. It is smaller, and a thicker O ring than what is there ( I am sure the stock one). Bummer. So what O ring do I need? I tried to clean the old one, which was still very pliable and seemed fine, but after trying again it was still weeping terribly. Thats odd to me, not sure why after cleaning it up it does not work. You can see the original O ring in the slot, and the new EPDM one I ordered (specified in this thread) that does not fit in my hand.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3299.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	879337

Name:	IMG_3298.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	879338

Name:	IMG_3297.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	879336
    Attached Files

Comment

That sucks. Perhaps you could measure it with a vernier.

Comment

I will take it to a store to find one. Just found it odd, why would it be different. And why would cleaning it up not work...it is still so pliable. Anyways, frustrating! And now off the road.

Comment

Local auto store had the one, although it is Nitrile. Have to hope that is fine, he sure seemed to think it was.

Comment

Hopefully the one you found is a bit tighter fit. Who knows if the one that was in there was the correct size to begin with.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Well, that's not the success story I'm sure we all hoped to hear... (⊙_ʖ⊙)

SOooo, went back into my own personal XS1100 inventory to pull out not one, but BOTH of my "Standard" MC's and resevoirs.
              Why do I have standard's parts when I own a Special? Answer- I don't say NO to XS1100 parts boxes... ʅ(́◡◝)ʃ

Popped off the resevoir and removed the OEM O-ring. Definitely not as "girthy" as the 3.5 mm O-ring I bought/used to replace the OEM in my Special. ໒( ⊡ _ ⊡ )७

By my digital caliper the Standard O-ring wasn't 3.5 mm but close to 2.5 mm.

Me being me? I put in one of the extra O-rings ( 5-in-a-pack) in the Standard groove after lubing it with Dot3.
              Then tried pushing the OEM Standard Resevoir back where it came from.
              It didn't WANNA go in with normal hand pressure and twisting/turning. (︶︹︺)

But placing the resevoir on a flat bench upside down and twisting/pushing down MANLY-LIKE on the inverted Standard MC? (O_o)7

....POP! And in it went. (^_^)

A tight fit with a lot mOaR pressure seal on the surfaces.

Looks like the same O-ring I used for my Special resevoir can PoSsIbLy be used for a Standard.

But it IS quite clear that the OEM Standard Resevoir O-ring isn't as "Girthy" as the OEM O-rings for the Specials. (  ゚ ,_ゝ゚)

The call goes out cross the inter-web airways.....(´・_・`)

"Who has replaced the O-ring in your Standard MC Resevoir and what O-ring did YOU use?" (人´∀`*)

Comment

I used to run just 1 brake line to the front, but the bike is too heavy and really needs 2 working brake calipers to stoip it. Switched back to stock 2 years ago and could not be more happy.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Carry one of these in my smaller tool pouch, you're not going to rebuild an engine with it but it's a great little measuring tool.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-u...per-63664.html
                  1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                  X