No announcement yet.

Leaky Front Master Cylinder and Need New Final drive fill bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are 2 types of OEM, on the early type, the plastic resivour is held to the body by the 4 screws that hold the cap on. The late type has a metal disk in the bottom with 2 screws holding it down.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post

Cool. I don't have much to lose... if it fails I will get a whole new unit as planned.
      I don't expect the EPDM O-ring itself to fail. (O_o)

AFAIK, it's the same material the actual "rubber" parts (Cups, rings, etc...) in the MC rebuild kits. (Which of course I did just because I had the whole thingy off the bike and on the bench.) (◔_◔)

AND just like one is s'posed to do with all the internal parts in the MC rebuild, I "soaked" the new MC Reservoir O-ring in DOT3 brake fluid to get it pliable and slippery before installing/putting it all back together. (ʘ‿ʘ)

Yur lucky with the Standard Reservoir. It has straight sides and just twists/slides out. (◠﹏◠)

The specials reservoir goes in with a sharp BARB like (45 degree lip) all around the very bottom which made getting the old (weepy) O-ring out a very "Special" project. (⩾﹏⩽)

The old O-ring did NOT survive the process. (_Oo)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
        LAB3, Brake fluid is silicon based (should not corrode a Nitrile O-ring) and since the master cylinder is so far away from the hot calipers, there is not much heat to deal with. However, if you can get Viton, that would be the better material. I think Buna/Nitrile would work fine. I use Nitrile in my KZ1000/750 rear master cylinder cups and they have lasted for many years. I have that part reference if anyone needs it.
        DOT 3 is not silicon based. It is glycol ether based. Only DOT 5 is silicon based. I am assuming you were talking about DOT 5 in your comment.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

Just waiting on O rings... so, there is a round o ring under the more square reservoir? I assume mine is the stock reservoir. It is not round.

Comment

This is from an XS650 but is similar to an XS1100.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oring2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	879090 Click image for larger version

Name:	oring3.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	879091 Click image for larger version

Name:	Opera Snapshot_2024-04-19_061824_motorcyclemerchandise.co.uk.png
Views:	83
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	879092

Comment

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post

Cool. I don't have much to lose... if it fails I will get a whole new unit as planned.
              The sad thing is you can get a new MC cheaper than a rebuild kit! I've also used the ones similar to what DEEBS linked to and they do indeed work well, can't beat them at that price
              1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                This is from an XS650 but is similar to an XS1100.

Name:	oring2.jpg
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	879090 Click image for larger version

Name:	oring3.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	879091 Click image for larger version

Name:	Opera Snapshot_2024-04-19_061824_motorcyclemerchandise.co.uk.png
Views:	83
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	879092
                Really like this post and ones like it. Thx, DEEBS11! (◠﹏◠)

Photos of what's hidden until one actually takes things apart. Sure, there's a genuine sense of discovery/surprise when you remove something for the first time to look at what's underneath and go, "WUT!??" (⊙_◎)

In this situation, much better to know-before-you-go. (ʘ‿ʘ)

Also this illustrates exactly why I was so confused by my inter-web searches-

"The O-ring is made from Nitrile Rubber and is OIL Resistant"

STILL feeling like a crash test dummy fOaR choosing EPDM. ¿ⓧ_ⓧﮌ

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread OP! The master cylinder was my next project. I went ahead and got the o ring for the reservoir as I can tell this one used to leak. Have the MC soaking in the ultrasonic cleaner now

Comment

Ah, those photos make sense. I am just waiting on my O rings. If I can keep the stock one,I will be very happy! This site seems to have all the answers for my old XS. Amazing resource.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post

Really like this post and ones like it. Thx, DEEBS11! (◠﹏◠)

Photos of what's hidden until one actually takes things apart. Sure, there's a genuine sense of discovery/surprise when you remove something for the first time to look at what's underneath and go, "WUT!??" (⊙_◎)

In this situation, much better to know-before-you-go. (ʘ‿ʘ)

Also this illustrates exactly why I was so confused by my inter-web searches-

"The O-ring is made from Nitrile Rubber and is OIL Resistant"

STILL feeling like a crash test dummy fOaR choosing EPDM. ¿ⓧ_ⓧﮌ
                      I ordered your EPDM one, so there will be two dummys lol. Lots of articles online of EPDM O rings being used in auto brake applications though... including race cars... soooo

Comment

I've had one EPDM in service for 14 years, no problem.

The next EPDM is 9 years with no problem.

There are two younger ones with no problems.
                        -Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Brake fluid is NOT oil based, so EPDM should work with no problems for years. Gasoline and motor oil is what will take out the product.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I'm sure EPDM will work. However, I have had a Nitrile O-ring in my KZ rear master cylinder for several years and it has not deteriorated. This is a bike that actually gets ridden under the worst conditions. It's not a coffee table bike.

Name:	20170209_080815A.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	879151

Comment

Iffin' you haven't yet pulled off the resevoir and got your own "eyes-on" experience? (O_o)

Mebbe wurth watching.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inA5FRDBTQQ

Comment

That 3D print stuff is amazing. It's like the Replicator on the Enterprise.

Comment

Working...
                                X