No announcement yet.

The day the tensioner died ( lucky way)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not 100% sure, but it appears to be 14MM, same size as the oil drain plug. Be careful, I over tightened one once, and it snapped the end of the casing clean off. You may be able to anneal the copper washer you have and it would seal fine.

https://youtu.be/1sJKUS9QXPk?si=zHz7EhNDtvt5YTMi
    Last edited by bikerphil; 04-05-2024, 09:45 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Replaced washer. Center stand, Cmark, removed bolt, took washer to NAPA. Got similar aluminum crush washer, cleaned area, installed, turned motor by hand, started up.

80 G

Comment

Do you still have the leak?
        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Well. It's dry at the washer but wet at the bottom little bolt.
          80 G

Comment

I just looked at the part of the engine with the tensioner, the bolt holes do not go all the way thru, so it is probably the gasket leaking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240406_190346.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	878824
            Last edited by bikerphil; 04-06-2024, 05:06 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

That was the reason I asked about the leak with a new washer in there, no matter what I do my automatic tensioner leaks a tiny bit. That's fine by me since I'm hoping to own my bike long enough for it to become a true RAT!
              1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I cleaned the old gasket pretty well. Used a new gasket and the bolts tightened good.

I did not clean the whole area of old oil and grime, just the gasket part.

Could the tensioner have a leak? A hairline crack or some defect? It is old and used.

Could the bottom bolt need a washer to squeeze against the gasket better?

Should I just leave it alone and be glad it works?
                Last edited by speedlimit85; 04-07-2024, 07:46 AM.
                80 G

Comment

You did use the shorter bolts, correct? You shouldn't need any extra washer if yes.

A hairline crack, I guess anything is possible but I doubt it.

I usually use RTV in addition to the gasket just in case. A ton of oil gets thrown up into the area of the tensioner coming off of the cam chain.

If it was me, I probably would leave it alone unless it got progressively worse.

The only other thing I can think of is somehow the bolt holes do go thru to the inside somehow. If that is the case, some RTV on the bolt threads should take care of the problem.
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 04-07-2024, 10:37 AM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Wow Phil you got all kinds of engine parts!

The bike is way different with this mod. Much quieter.

The starter clutch is slipping worse. Might be 'cause everything is tighter.
                    80 G

Comment

Be careful of the torque on the bolts only 7 or 8 lbs.per ft. which is approximately 90 inch lbs.
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Yep, tighter spring puts less slack in the cam chain, the OEM with it's wimpy spring is barely enough to do any good.

These parts I have, I have some and some are Jonathan's that he stores over here.

Hmmm, that's interesting about the starter clutch slipping more now. Did you switch to a different type/thickness of oil recently?
                        ​​​​​​
                        ​​
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

I got 20-50 oil for awhile now. Feels like the starter clutch has cold thick oil and a tight chain till warmed up then it always starts easy.

I think you're right the oil seep is likely the gasket. Looks like the old OEM and new ACCT tensioner have it in the same spot ( yes I got the v-max bolts --right ones and I tightened careful ).
                          80 G

Comment

Yep, mine does the same with 20W50 when it gets below 50 degrees. We have it tough living in Florida
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	878839
                              80 G

Comment

Looks like the beginnings of the base gasket leaking. Look where the head bolt studs pass thru the cylinders on the bottom. If it's oily wet a bit, that could be the culprit. I hope that's not the case.
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

Comment

Working...
                                X