Fork Brace and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

The brace you are looking at does not fit the standard. It is for the European sport model. They used to sell one specifically for a standard it was part number 25-0031 but it is no longer listed for sale. The popping is more then likely due to misadjusted pilot screws. When adjusting them you can actually make the bike pop by adjusting too much or not enough. Having the original airbox to me is a plus for you. Will make adjusting easier. Your close to getting it right. Another thought came to mind. You have a standard. Do you have the original carbs that came with the bike? The reason I ask is there is possibility of the pilot screw tips breaking off on those. If you have a tip seated and broken off then you are not getting any air through the pilot circuit. Just thought I would bring that up.
    Interesting, so the standard and sport fork are different? Any recommendations on fork braces? I am sure the carbs are original on the bike, everything else is original on it.

Comment

Yamaha XS1100 Fork Brace (1979-1984) – The British Fork Brace Company
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Yeah, for 350 bucks shipped, my 2500 buck XS will stay wobbly LOL.

Comment

Just ran across this one. Sorry, this has been posted before, but it should fit the Standard...

https://www.fastfromthepast.com/25-0036
          Last edited by bikerphil; 12-18-2023, 08:38 PM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Just ran across this one. Sorry, this has been posted before, but it should fit the Standard...

I stand corrected. I didn't think that one fit the standard from the discussion in the previous thread I posted. I have never owned a standard so I have nothing to measure against a special.
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post

Yeah, for 350 bucks shipped, my 2500 buck XS will stay wobbly LOL.
              where are you located? I can have it shipped to me for $31.00. Shipping states from 3 to 17 days.
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              Jim

Comment

Repeating my post of December 12 - I do not believe that Tarozzi fork brace # 25-0036 is for an XS1100 Standard as we know them in North America. Not sure where you can find one now, but # 25-0031 is the proper one. $114 + shipping was much cheaper than the shiny,U.K. unit at the ime. Even if you could order one directly from Italy, it would still be probably be cheaper. Check the following reference guide -

http://www.tarozzipaolo.com/inglese/stabiliz.htm
                1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
                1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
                Owned - 1976 XS750D
                Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
                Owned - (unknown year) XS650
                (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Was considering a brace for my standard G and came across this thread, maybe this will help

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...ard-fork-brace
                  1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                    Was considering a brace for my standard G and came across this thread, maybe this will help

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...ard-fork-brace
                    Same thread I asked him to read in post number 3 of this thread.
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post

Thats the one that is disputed... some say yes, some say no!

Comment

Same thread I asked him to read in post number 3 of this thread.
                        Not much more info in that thread. Nothing new. I am in Canada... enough said but with the dollar it would be about that much!

Comment

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post

Not much more info in that thread. Nothing new. I am in Canada... enough said but with the dollar it would be about that much!
                          Didn't realize shipping was so much more expensive to Canada. Question for you. Have you redone / cleaned your forks? Meaning have you replace the fork oil lately? There are threads on here that discuss a heavier oil and springs that help to stiffen up the front end. The reason I ask is because I was thinking about a fork brace, and was the reason I bought the tarozzi brace you are looking at in the first place. I used my dremel and ground down the underside of the brace to make it fit my special. I then sand blasted it and had it powder coated to a high gloss black finish to match the bike. I then changed the fluid and replaced the fork seals and found that just doing that stiffened up my forks enough so that I didn't need the brace. Just a thought. How much doing the forks may help depends on your size and weight and riding style as well as where you ride. Curves dictate the need for a tighter front end and a brace could definitely help in those situations.
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          Jim

Comment

For you alls information, the forks used on the Specials are Shoiwa and the forks used on the Standards are KYB. Diameters of of the two varieties IS different with the KYB forks being of the smaller diameter. With that, the fork braces will NOT interchange because of diameter differences. Also, the KYB forks used are "straight" mounted at the axle where as the Special forks use a leading front axle mount which changes location of wheel in relation to the fork tube assembly.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Didn't realize shipping was so much more expensive to Canada. Question for you. Have you redone / cleaned your forks? Meaning have you replace the fork oil lately? There are threads on here that discuss a heavier oil and springs that help to stiffen up the front end. The reason I ask is because I was thinking about a fork brace, and was the reason I bought the tarozzi brace you are looking at in the first place. I used my dremel and ground down the underside of the brace to make it fit my special. I then sand blasted it and had it powder coated to a high gloss black finish to match the bike. I then changed the fluid and replaced the fork seals and found that just doing that stiffened up my forks enough so that I didn't need the brace. Just a thought. How much doing the forks may help depends on your size and weight and riding style as well as where you ride. Curves dictate the need for a tighter front end and a brace could definitely help in those situations.
                              I can actually ship to the US (5 minutes from here and I have a box)... its not shipping its the exchange rate and then taxes they will hit me with at the border. Yes, fork oil is new... when I got this bike it was a non runner needing lots of love... fork rebuild was necessary as the seals were gone, oil was ancient... don't ask me about forgetting that it has air suspension lol when I un screwed the drain bolts... don't recommend a bath in 40 year old fork oil. I used 15 wt I think for the oil... springs are just stock. I just read the brace made an improvement on the front end... so was curious to try a brace.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                                For you alls information, the forks used on the Specials are Shoiwa and the forks used on the Standards are KYB. Diameters of of the two varieties IS different with the KYB forks being of the smaller diameter. With that, the fork braces will NOT interchange because of diameter differences. Also, the KYB forks used are "straight" mounted at the axle where as the Special forks use a leading front axle mount which changes location of wheel in relation to the fork tube assembly.
                                Good to see you posting again Motoman, Welcome back.
                                Bob's Bikes:
                                79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                                https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                                https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                                "
                                Project XS11"
                                "Rucksack Grunt"
                                "Small Unit Leadership"
                                "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts: