Fork Brace and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Brace and other questions

I have a couple questions for you fine folks. I want to add a fork brace to my 1980 Standard. Will this one fit? The sales guy said they do not know if it will fit an 80 Standard.... https://www.fastfromthepast.com/25-0036

My other question is... the bike runs pretty well pulls to redline, runs great when warm... But in the first say 1/8 of the throttle while cruising she is popping and burbling quite a bit. No real other symptoms. Floats are all at the right height... is that mixture screws? I don't have access to a colour tune... but any suggestions on the settings for those screws? Anything else?

Regarding the popping....What kind of exhaust is on the bike? How about the air filter? Do you know if the carb jets are the original sizes?

Regarding the fork brace, I can see the fitment desciption does not have all it's marbles:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fork Brace.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	876302

Theer is no such thing as an XS11 "Sport", makes me think they mean "Special", but then they specifically say it doesn't fit an XS11 Special.

There is no XS11 in 1982. It becme an XJ in 1982.

They show XS750SE as 1978 and 1979. The SE is is a 1978 Special. The 1979 XS750 Special is the SF. The XS750 Special and the XS11 Special have the same fender and forks.....therefore the brace might be OK for the XS11 Special and not the Standard?

Honestly, there are so many mistakes in the fitment description I am not sure what it will fit.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Read this thread XS11 Standard Fork Brace - XS11.club Forums. I own the fork brace you specified and I had to grind the bottom of it to make it fit my special. Still have it but do not use it. I bought it to answer the question of does it fit a special.

as for the popping. At 1/8 throttle all the circuits of the carburetor are still in play. Meaning the pilot circuit is still in play and I would think the main jet is just coming into play. More so at 1/4 throttle on up for the main circuit. Popping in the idle or pilot circuit could be a vacuum leak on the intake side, not enough or too much air coming in through the pilot screws on the towers which I adjust with the use of the colortune tool. Exhaust gasket leaks also cause popping, but generally when you come off the throttle quickly when decelerating.
      Last edited by cajun31; 12-13-2023, 11:53 AM.
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

I find that Andy from Andy's Motorcycle Obsession videos and who lives in Tasmania gives one of the best explanations of how our oem carbs function. Yamaha XS1100 Cafe Racer Project - Ep 17 - Carbs and Pod Filters Explained (youtube.com)
        Last edited by cajun31; 12-13-2023, 11:38 AM.
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        Jim

Comment

Bought a Tarozzi brace from this supplier and bolted it onto my 80G (standard) and have enjoyed a nice tight front end ever since. Distinct handling improvement. Mine was part # 25-0031 It doesn't look like they carry it any more.

http://www.tarozzipaolo.com/inglese/stabiliz.htm
          Last edited by LenB; 12-12-2023, 11:11 PM.
          1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
          1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
          Owned - 1976 XS750D
          Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
          Owned - (unknown year) XS650
          (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

I would think it would fit. It’s a standard…
            Jeff Korn
            Original Owner 79XS1100 E
            Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
              Regarding the popping....What kind of exhaust is on the bike? How about the air filter? Do you know if the carb jets are the original sizes?

Regarding the fork brace, I can see the fitment desciption does not have all it's marbles:

Click image for larger version Name:	Fork Brace.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	876302

Theer is no such thing as an XS11 "Sport", makes me think they mean "Special", but then they specifically say it doesn't fit an XS11 Special.

There is no XS11 in 1982. It becme an XJ in 1982.

They show XS750SE as 1978 and 1979. The SE is is a 1978 Special. The 1979 XS750 Special is the SF. The XS750 Special and the XS11 Special have the same fender and forks.....therefore the brace might be OK for the XS11 Special and not the Standard?

Honestly, there are so many mistakes in the fitment description I am not sure what it will fit.
              Hi Mike, there is indeed a Sport model (5k7) across the pond also the 2h9 is the Standard from over there also.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...sport%2081.htm
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

This is an XS1100 Sport from Europe. Note how "Special" the front fork is. Mike's comment on the product ad is spot-on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	667db491edb9822078d61ab1b53e088b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.4 KB ID:	876311

Comment

One on eBay for a Special. Includes measurements! I believe they meant 18.4 CM/184MM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23531077738...Bk9SR9yYnrOMYw

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (4)[url]www.jpg[/url] Views:	0 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	876313 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (4)88.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.9 KB ID:	876314
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Brace.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.9 KB ID:	876315
                  Last edited by DEEBS11; 12-13-2023, 11:46 AM.

Comment

This is a fork brace on a 1980 XS11 Standard. Same brand but the XS11 Special unit shown before has a higher hump. The triple trees are different.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN3904.JPG Views:	0 Size:	191.5 KB ID:	876317
                    Last edited by DEEBS11; 12-13-2023, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I measured about 18.6 centimeters on the standard Telefix fork brace.

Comment

I think the Special front end is what we refer to in the Harley world as "Narrow Glide". The Standard is the "Wide Glide". Can anyone confirm this with a triple tree from each bike? I measure about 140MM between the aluminum sliders for Standard.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4522.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.7 KB ID:	876323
                        Last edited by DEEBS11; 12-13-2023, 12:16 PM.

Comment

They should be both the same.

I measure about 148MM on the Special.
                          Last edited by bikerphil; 12-13-2023, 03:40 PM.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey All, apologies for the mis understanding... as stated in my post I have an 80 STANDARD... not a special. So wondering if that brace will work on the standard.The other brace I can find out there is way way more expensive.

As for popping, I have a stock exhaust and airbox on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post
                              Hey All, apologies for the mis understanding... as stated in my post I have an 80 STANDARD... not a special. So wondering if that brace will work on the standard.The other brace I can find out there is way way more expensive.

As for popping, I have a stock exhaust and airbox on it.
                              The brace you are looking at does not fit the standard. It is for the European sport model. They used to sell one specifically for a standard it was part number 25-0031 but it is no longer listed for sale. The popping is more then likely due to misadjusted pilot screws. When adjusting them you can actually make the bike pop by adjusting too much or not enough. Having the original airbox to me is a plus for you. Will make adjusting easier. Your close to getting it right. Another thought came to mind. You have a standard. Do you have the original carbs that came with the bike? The reason I ask is there is possibility of the pilot screw tips breaking off on those. If you have a tip seated and broken off then you are not getting any air through the pilot circuit. Just thought I would bring that up.
                              Last edited by cajun31; 12-16-2023, 12:36 AM.
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X